What's new

Gibbs Adjustable

Keep or return

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know but it sounds like they have fixed the main teething problems with the Rex.

By the sounds of it going of reviews the smoothness isn't too different?

Though I really do appreciate a smooth razor Gillette HD & 3rd gen Brit aristocrat #16 lover.

IMG_20190811_220928086.jpg
IMG_20190811_220854614.jpg

Found another one.

Shaving with it tomorrow.

Sooner or later, I’m going to do a Gibbs vs Gibbs shave comparison. Yep, there are differences over the decades.

My first is a very early Gibbs Adjustable I got from a member here that looks like the one I’ve seen in an ad going back to 1938. The red indicator pin is in the center of the adjustment dial, there are more curves in the cap and baseplate and the handle is removable by pulling out on a post instead of using a thread.

I bought a couple more for my sons which I started referring to as second generation, pin toward top of dial, more angular cap and baseplate and the handles are threaded on, I think these are most common.

I have also seen one which I believe to be toward the end of production which are similar to the second generation but have diamond knurling.

I took one I am going to gift to one of my sons for a spin (Second generation) very recently and I feel it is slightly better than my early one. I think the first pass is a little better with more blade feel. I also prefer the threaded handle, I think it is better for disassembly.

Speaking of disassembly, they should really allow for that with the Rex. When I ordered my Rex, I actually requested that they didn’t seal it but never got a response. Gibbs owners know how fast soap and hair can get into those razors, the Rex is very similar in construction and I’ve been wondering what has been hiding in my Rex for the past year.

You know that's a good point about the Rex, what is hiding in them. are they that difficult to take apart I don't know how?
It's good to know about the generations of Gibbs, I wasn't aware.

Hey that's great, report back if you don't mind.

As I am writing this I am sitting down faceterbating & TBH yes I am kinda impressed my face is pretty damn smooth with very little to no irritation.

However if you had asked me how I thought the shave "felt" on the Gibbs first outing ( N position, Astra green) I wasn't blown away.
Hearing all this talk of smoothness I expected someone special & was underwhelmed. However I think sometimes this can be the problem of reading so many others opinions you build up these almost unachievable ideals in your head that can't be lived up to.
Maybe I could say it was the most smooth/efficient combo....

But I mean this was my first shave & I don't think I have really got this razors feel just yet.
What I did do was play with angles & I found this razor seemed to work better for me biasing the angle towards the guard rather than top cap.
Also this thing is efficient even on N I got a close shave but I did something I don't normally do which was a final ATG pass. So I have already unscientifically changed a variable of my shave routine so I can't really judge yet.

It did tug ATG, worryingly so. I expected irritation but none has shown up. However I tend to judge a razors ability ATG by doing multiple consecutive days ATG as I find I can get away with an awesome shave the first day but then build up irritation for each day I try onwards.

I look forward to a week of shaves with this razor.

Already have a Cloud brass handle on route.

As I am writing this I am sitting down faceterbating & TBH yes I am kinda impressed my face is pretty damn smooth with very little to no irritation.

However if you had asked me how I thought the shave "felt" on the Gibbs first outing ( N position, Astra green) I wasn't blown away.
Hearing all this talk of smoothness I expected someone special & was underwhelmed. However I think sometimes this can be the problem of reading so many others opinions you build up these almost unachievable ideals in your head that can't be lived up to.

But I mean this was my first shave & I don't think I have really got this razors feel just yet.
What I did do was play with angles & I found this razor seemed to work better for me biasing the angle towards the guard rather than top cap.
Also this thing is efficient even on N I got a close shave but I did something I don't normally do which was a final ATG pass. So I have already unscientifically changed a variable of my shave routine so I can't really judge yet.

It did tug ATG, worryingly so. I expected irritation but none has shown up. However I tend to judge a razors ability ATG by doing multiple consecutive days ATG as I find I can get away with an awesome shave the first day but then build up irritation for each day I try onwards.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for the feedback.

You know that's a good point about the Rex, what is hiding in them. are they that difficult to take apart I don't know how?
It's good to know about the generations of Gibbs, I wasn't aware.

I’ve seen them disassembled, close to Gibbs, I was emailed pictures of them disassembled by RE while on the preorder wait list. I was told they are sealed with a Loctite type of sealant. They use a jeweler’s torch to heat them up for service disassembly. From what I read before they first came out, there was some sort of user confusion with disassembling them. My guess is probably they are a little loose in some way without the sealant. I couldn’t imagine sealing my Gibbs with Loctite. Again, my request for an unsealed Rex was unanswered.

I’ve seen them disassembled, close to Gibbs, I was emailed pictures of them disassembled by RE while on the preorder wait list. I was told they are sealed with a Loctite type of sealant. They use a jeweler’s torch to heat them up for service disassembly. From what I read before they first came out, there was some sort of user confusion with disassembling them. My guess is probably they are a little loose in some way without the sealant. I couldn’t imagine sealing my Gibbs with Loctite. Again, my request for an unsealed Rex was unanswered.
Oh, that interesting, I didn't see that one and I was a pre order. I didn't ask questions about it though.

Did you get around to trying a polsilver or feather yet. you should give it a shot and report back to us, dragonsbeard knows his stuff.

Don't dismiss the Gibbs Normal, especially the metal handle version.Basically same geometry as the Adjustable but with just two (+/-) options of gap/exposure. If you don't really need aggressive settings it's a much better handling razir. I rarely use the adjustables. Paid $40 or less for all my 14)16 models.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Did you get around to trying a polsilver or feather yet. you should give it a shot and report back to us, dragonsbeard knows his stuff.

No I will use the Astra until it's dead.

I have a feather I will test but have never used a polsilver.

I have a few blades I can test with it but my mainstays are.

70clock yellow
Astra green
Rapira supersteel

These are my go tos. Sharp, medium & smooooth.

Don't dismiss the Gibbs Normal, especially the metal handle version.Basically same geometry as the Adjustable but with just two (+/-) options of gap/exposure. If you don't really need aggressive settings it's a much better handling razir. I rarely use the adjustables. Paid $40 or less for all my 14)16 models.
proxy.php

I have one of these.

I was not impressed but wouldn't consider it bad.

I have one of these.

I was not impressed but wouldn't consider it bad.
Are you impressed with the Adjustable because it (the 14/16) appears to be the same geometry just better balanced. Like I said those who "need" a very aggressive setting won't get it with the 14/16.

Last edited:
No I will use the Astra until it's dead.

I have a feather I will test but have never used a polsilver.

I have a few blades I can test with it but my mainstays are.

70clock yellow
Astra green
Rapira supersteel

These are my go tos. Sharp, medium & smooooth.
10-4 , enjoy!

Are you impressed with the Adjustable because it (the 14/16) appears to be the same geometry just better balanced. Like I said those who "need" a very aggressive setting won't get it with the 14/16.

I would say my shave today with the adjustable Gibbs on 5 would definitely place it above the +/- in my book.

Each time I shave with the Gibbs Adjustable I am getting better & better shaves whether that is my technique improving with the Razor or that I am increasing the blade gap one number each time I don't know.

It beat my Fatboy on 9 today.
Maybe close on smoothness but shaved me closer. At some point I will do a direct comparison for myself.

I think because I generally shave WTG/XTG using the Gillette slide technique I prefer slightly more aggressive razors.

If I could get away with ATG I could easily use a less aggressive razor for similar results I reckon.

I would say my shave today with the adjustable Gibbs on 5 would definitely place it above the +/- in my book.

Each time I shave with the Gibbs Adjustable I am getting better & better shaves whether that is my technique improving with the Razor or that I am increasing the blade gap one number each time I don't know.

It beat my Fatboy on 9 today.
Maybe close on smoothness but shaved me closer. At some point I will do a direct comparison for myself.

I think because I generally shave WTG/XTG using the Gillette slide technique I prefer slightly more aggressive razors.

If I could get away with ATG I could easily use a less aggressive razor for similar results I reckon.

The head heavy brass adjustable on 5 would feel more aggressive than the more evenly balanced +/-. The aluminum adjustable probably not. I might have to do a side by side with the aluminum model on 5.

The head heavy brass adjustable on 5 would feel more aggressive than the more evenly balanced +/-. The aluminum adjustable probably not. I might have to do a side by side with the aluminum model on 5.

Just measured gaps, looks like like the Gibbs Normal gaps are in the neighborhood of 2/4 settings on the Reglable. No surprise there. So definitely the head heavy Reglable on 5 is going to be a different thing.

Last edited:
Just measured gaps, looks like like the Gibbs Normal gaps are in the neighborhood of 2/4 settings on the Reglable. No surprise there. So definitely the head heavy Reglable on 5 is going to be a different thing.

That's handy to know thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom