What's new

Gibbs Adjustable

Keep or return

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all.

I thought I would get some opinions on this razor as I am considering sending it back as it is an eBay purchase.

Basically it arrived & initially it seemed ok but then I noticed that the blade gap was uneven.

Upon closer inspection I noticed one of the baseplate posts that force you to modify the blades is bent meaning the top cap doesn't sit squarely.

So it is how it holds the blade relative to the baseplate that is causing the issue.

Upon removing the top cap the baseplate adjusts fine.

The other issue is the plastic handle (which doesn't have cracks) won't unscrew.

I won't say what I paid but I consider it a reasonable amount for a fully functional example of this Razor.

Now I am of two minds to send it back.

Or see if I can get a partial refund & try to fix & keep it.

Any thoughts on how easy to fix/what to do?

IMG_20190728_151503039.jpg
IMG_20190728_151331064.jpg
IMG_20190728_151411675.jpg
IMG_20190728_151427775.jpg

It makes you wonder how the top cap post could have got bent like that, and I'm guessing dropping it. I like @Dragonsbeard idea. The only other thought I had is a 3D printed handle, it might be cheaper and weigh less, depending upon how much you want to spend and what kind of weight you like in a razor, possibly.

Al ready got clouds Etsy shop lined up for a brass handle.

However I can't actually unscrew the current plastic one.
It feels almost glued on. I'm hoping it is just decades of soap scum holding it.

As for a Cap restoration I'm UK based so it will be a little more expensive.
Not sure how much more.

I have had a little play.

I can get the blade gap even if I put the top cap on a certain way.
It probably means it is off in the sense that a 4 on the adjustment is more aggressive for example as I am pretty sure the cap sits higher than normal.

But as it is continuously adjustable I should be able to find a good option.

I won't shave with it until I decide to keep it however.

Keeping it vs Sending it back is price dependent.

First prize is to bend the bent tab back outwards, but its brass and might snap off.

If you decide to keep it, I would be more inclined to file the notch on the top-cap slightly deeper so that it just clears the bent tab. I would file both notches so it doesn't matter which way the top-cap goes on. You will want to ensure that the width of the notch on the top-cap remains the same.

Getting the plastic handle off. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner that's again first prize.
I have used about a 10% solution of vinegar and water to loosen up a razor - I didn't boil it but kept it hot and it did take a while.

BTW - Its also missing the Red alignment marker. You can replace that with a appropriately sized bead.

I have bent parts of razors back before.

Some successfully & others not so much.
(Still get nightmares about a 2nd gen Brit I tried to fix)

I guess this Gibbs nub/post would act similar to an open comb tooth which makes me nervous about attempting it the more I think about it.

Keeping it vs Sending it back is price dependent.

First prize is to bend the bent tab back outwards, but its brass and might snap off.

If you decide to keep it, I would be more inclined to file the notch on the top-cap slightly deeper so that it just clears the bent tab. I would file both notches so it doesn't matter which way the top-cap goes on. You will want to ensure that the width of the notch on the top-cap remains the same.

Getting the plastic handle off. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner that's again first prize.
I have used about a 10% solution of vinegar and water to loosen up a razor - I didn't boil it but kept it hot and it did take a while.

BTW - Its also missing the Red alignment marker. You can replace that with a appropriately sized bead.
Since you work with brass is there anyway to alter the hardness of the metal temporarily, so it would be soft enough to bend back into place? I guess heating doesn't work with brass, from what I understand.

Depends on two factors IMHO:
#1. How comfortable are you with the risk of breaking the tab?
#2. How reasonable was the price?

Depends on two factors IMHO:
#1. How comfortable are you with the risk of breaking the tab?
#2. How reasonable was the price?

#1 if the seller refunded about 60% of what I paid I wouldn't be too annoyed if it broke. Howevet I would take it for a test shave to see if I really needed to risk it.

#2 it was what i consider a fair amount looking at previous eBay sales for a solid working piece.
Emphasis on working, due to the defects in mine I consider it overpriced & it looks like the seller won't do a partial refund so I think I am going to send it back.

Since you work with brass is there anyway to alter the hardness of the metal temporarily, so it would be soft enough to bend back into place?

The only brass that I have actually bent was a small brass pipe which is much thinner than that tab and its partly designed to be bent.

EDIT: Brass work hardens. I've annealed cartridge cases so I guess that you could do similar with this. I'm not sure how the chrome plating would react to been heated up.
If there were a lot of bent tabs I would put together a jig that pressed them back into shape, but for one tab, its not worth it :END EDIT

If I was going to bend that tab back, the first thing that I would ensure is that I was not able to overbend it and then gently tap it back into its original position with a small hammer and punch.

@Clearball - Without a partial refund, I believe that the correct decision is to send it back. Let the seller do the bending. Hopefully he/she doesn't try and sell it again as is or at least is truthful in the description.

Last edited:
The only brass that I have actually bent was a small brass pipe which is much thinner than that tab and its partly designed to be bent.

EDIT: Brass work hardens. I've annealed cartridge cases so I guess that you could do similar with this. I'm not sure how the chrome plating would react to been heated up.
If there were a lot of bent tabs I would put together a jig that pressed them back into shape, but for one tab, its not worth it :END EDIT

If I was going to bend that tab back, the first thing that I would ensure is that I was not able to overbend it and then gently tap it back into its original position with a small hammer and punch.

@Clearball - Without a partial refund, I believe that the correct decision is to send it back. Let the seller do the bending. Hopefully he/she doesn't try and sell it again as is or at least is truthful in the description.

BTW while you're here I was going to say I love those brass handles you are selling on Etsy. Was all geared up to get me the longer brass one.

As to the seller I sometimes feel that we simply notice things that people who don't shave or collect razors won't.
So I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt regarding the truthfulness of his listing & assume he simply couldn't really tell what is "good condition" or not.

Though this isn't the first or fourth razor that has had these sort of issues on arrival even when listed as in "working order".

Thanks for the tips.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Personally I think that I would return it. Especially if it was not as advertised. Just my $0.02 worth.

BTW while you're here I was going to say I love those brass handles you are selling on Etsy. Was all geared up to get me the longer brass one.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the kind words and pleasure. I hope that they help someone.

Soaking it will loosen the handle. Just got one for my son like this.

As for the post, could be someone was banging the top on a hard surface to punch a regular blade. When you disassemble, that piece will come off. I’d send to Cap to get straightened out.

I went through the same dilemma recently on this very same razor. Return? Tough one as they are getting exceedingly rare. Also depends on what you paid for it.

My first one is an early well used one I got from a member here. Wonderful razor. Decided to get my 2 sons Gibbs also. One purchase was not great as the seller sent me one with damaged plate advertised as having no plate issues. I reluctantly kept it to interchange parts with another purchase.

I will either have the damaged part redone in another plate or finish, keep or sell it. I made this decision based on how long it took me to find another in good condition without breaking the bank.

TBH

I am going to send the Gibbs back today.

However I am tempted to give up the chase & get a Rex instead.

I really like the idea of the Gibbs & hear it's a smoother shaver which appeals to me but with the cost of Gibbs nowadays & the fact I would buy the brass handle upgrade the prices are pretty similar.

TBH
However I am tempted to give up the chase & get a Rex instead.

I really like the idea of the Gibbs & hear it's a smoother shaver which appeals to me but with the cost of Gibbs nowadays & the fact I would buy the brass handle upgrade the prices are pretty similar.

Don't give up on it - one will come up.
The Gibbs is smoother compared to the Rex and also the Personna

Don't give up on it - one will come up.
The Gibbs is smoother compared to the Rex and also the Personna

+1 The Gibbs for me is smoother also compared to my Rex. I’ve wondered if the chrome finish has something to do with this. Don’t have a Personna to compare.

Top Bottom