What's new

Gem, Star & Ever Ready Lather Catcher Questions

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I think @camoloc is spot-on. I have multiples (fancy script and plain script/text on the back) and I have an earlier Gem (not a Junior but with a bar), and the tightness (clamping strength) of the bar and retaining clip are what I believe make the shaves feel slightly different. My "perceptual preference" is the Gem Junior Bar with the fancy script on the back -- I love the way it looks and I know that's a big part of it as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My curiosity is peaked with the beautiful lather catchers. I am leaning towards one of the below 4 x razors being either a Gem Junior Bar, one of the Star versions, or an Ever Ready 1907.

1) Is it true that the Star version with the Star in the middle is a near duplicate to the Gem Junior Bar also in how it shaves?

2) How would these 4 x razors compare in terms of efficiency? I have an area of my neck that is very sensitive and my past success with GEM blades were limited to the milder Push Button and Contour razors before I moved on to injectors and found my preference there for the N & O models.

3) Can a light touch with any of these 4 razors give a smooth shave that won't tear up my neck?

4) Is there a version between these 4 that holds the blade more securely and has better blade stops?

View attachment 1083342
View attachment 1083340
View attachment 1083341
View attachment 1083352

4) Also, has anyone tried out these wedge adapters with any success in some of these older lather catchers?
View attachment 1083366
Have you bought a lather catcher yet? I have the Star bar and Gem junior bar and just enjoy them greatly. Star brand(Kampfe Brothers) was way ahead of everyone making safety razors but the other Razor manufactures made extreme advances in models to take that spot away from them. There are little changes between the Star bar and Gem junior bar but more than likely made in the same factory under the ASR umbrella of companys. ASR was a huge company as time went on when they bought Personna, Pal, Treet but allowed those brand names to exist because they were known every where in the world.

Some of the Small differences between the two lather catchers.
LC Compare 1 (2).jpg
Star bar LC VS GEM Junior bar (2).jpg
LC Compare 2 (2).jpg

The Scroll work on the some Gem junior bars was nice and some were just plain, The Star bar#4 was kind of plain also.
Gem jr bar Lather Cather scroll work. (2).jpg
Star lather catcher1919  (2).jpg

Hope this will help you decide, Personally they shave very similar but I get excellent results with the Star bar.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

nah ron,

you're supposed to compare it with the iconic black handle!!!!! Just kidding of course!!!
View attachment 1092450

and the backsides.....

View attachment 1092451

camo
Looks like some very nice and cared for Lather catchers there Camo or @camoloc. I think mine was almost NOS because it was hardly used but my Gem junior bars are a different story. The previous Gem owners like to use them a lot by just the wear and brassing. Also the Gem junior bar was 12 or 13 years older than the Star bar even came into existence. The Star bar was the last of Lather catcher manufactured for their golden days in the USA before all the newer modern look models came into the new shaving era.

Last edited:
Looks like some very nice and cared for Lather catchers there Camo or @camoloc. I think mine was almost NOS because it was hardly used but my Gem junior bars are a different story. The previous Gem owners like to use them a lot by just the wear and brassing. Also the Gem junior bar was 16 or 17 years older than the Star bar even came into existence. The Star bar was the last of Lather catcher manufactured for their golden days in the USA before all the newer modern look models came into the new shaving era.

good to know........I figured there to be only around 10 to 12 years of separation between the two.

either way.........I would have loved to see the machinery that stamped out those heads from blanks. sometimes wonder if they were stamped out then formed and bent on one machine......or if they had another that set the well known angles for them.

"hey frank.......did you just run the G plate or the star?"

camo

Ron R

good to know........I figured there to be only around 10 to 12 years of separation between the two.

either way.........I would have loved to see the machinery that stamped out those heads from blanks. sometimes wonder if they were stamped out then formed and bent on one machine......or if they had another that set the well known angles for them.

"hey frank.......did you just run the G plate or the star?"

camo
I changed the amount of years because it would be closer. Did no give it enough thought. Thanks for keeping me honest. :thumbsup:

@ Ron, I have not found either a Star or Junior Bar Razor yet, but remain on active search mode. For the Junior Bar, I am only interested in the version with the long handle in your most recent post as I despise short handle razors. I assume patience will be the virtue in finding one that is in good condition. If I find a Star Bar at a good price/condition ratio, I might pick it up. I was watching one that ended this weekend with 1 wedge blade and original packaging that went much lower than I was expecting. I should have put in a bid for it.

Ron R

@ Ron, I have not found either a Star or Junior Bar Razor yet, but remain on active search mode. For the Junior Bar, I am only interested in the version with the long handle in your most recent post as I despise short handle razors. I assume patience will be the virtue in finding one that is in good condition. If I find a Star Bar at a good price/condition ratio, I might pick it up. I was watching one that ended this weekend with 1 wedge blade and original packaging that went much lower than I was expecting. I should have put in a bid for it.
That Gem with the longer handle has a stropping attachment that is well hidden.It is threaded on the end and screws into the male side. Gem razors are just Great and good luck with finding one.
You can screw any handle into a Gem Lather catcher with a adapter.
Stropping attachment inside of handle! (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Interesting,. I thought the gem junior bar had that odd british thread type which could not use an adapter. I might have to rethink my approach about needing the long handle if I can buy an adapter and out any handle on it.

Do you know how much that handle alone weighs in grams and its dimensions?

Interesting,. I thought the gem junior bar had that odd british thread type which could not use an adapter. I might have to rethink my approach about needing the long handle if I can buy an adapter and out any handle on it.

I can verify that a #8 metal screw is a close enough match without risking damage to threading. some authors about this exclaim 'forcing it in.' on my three LC's it works with no issue.

it works. a handle I made for myself a while back.

20200407_220143.jpg

camo

Ron R

This fellow makes adapters and seems to do a fairly nice job for the B&B Sue Moore memorial Fundraiser.
The Gem handle weighs .8 oz or 25 grams. Dimensions are 3 inches long and main width is a little over 3/8" (.395) of a inch.
Hope this helps you in your search.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
If you have some serious search skills, I know it's in this forum in multiple places....or you can tag a person who has done some handle work and probably knows the answer right off the top of his head. @GAW9576 do you know the thread sizes on the above razors? I'm pretty sure the Gem Jr Bar and Kampfe Bros Star lather catchers use the same thread size....and I want to say 8-24...but my memory isn't what it used to be (and it was never great).

If you have some serious search skills, I know it's in this forum in multiple places....or you can tag a person who has done some handle work and probably knows the answer right off the top of his head. @GAW9576 do you know the thread sizes on the above razors? I'm pretty sure the Gem Jr Bar and Kampfe Bros Star lather catchers use the same thread size....and I want to say 8-24...but my memory isn't what it used to be (and it was never great).

8-24 which is some old British thread size that doesn't exist is correct i believe.

Size 8 sheet metal screw is the closet thing I've found that works and looks like the original size. had to look at my workbench for that one!!!!

camo

@GAW9576 has the dies for making the adaptors and he should be able help you. If you are having trouble finding that information just Personal message me.
8-24 which is some old British thread size that doesn't exist is correct i believe.

Size 8 sheet metal screw is the closet thing I've found that works and looks like the original size. had to look at my workbench for that one!!!!

camo

I do make adapters that will fit a huge variety of handles to a huge variety of razors. Including every Gem, Star and treet razor I have. However like @Flintstone65. My memory isn't great especially for numbers. I believe @camoloc is correct but cannot confirm for sure.
If anyone is interested in the adapter screws they can PM me to arrange getting some.

After going a few rounds with what was supposed to be the "mild" entry into SE razors with a G Bar, All Gem Contour versions, a Push Button( I liked but I Loathe short handles), and Featherweight.... and not being overly impressed with any of them, I took the dive for a Star Bar Lather Cathcer in minty condition based on the above recommendtions and that things is bliss! I tried a PTFE blade first, but kinda like the uncoated blade better. Still ahve the Carbon blades to test, but the Star is definitely a keeper.

However, I keep reading the 1912(the 5+versions?) is supposed to be damn good..can it possibly be better than these Star/Gem Junior Bar Lather Cathers when it comes to comfort?

I have the Gem Jr. Bar not the star but the Jr. Bar is an incredible razor. I also have quite a few versions of the 1912. The 1912 are great razors but I wouldn't say they are better than the Jr. Bar. However they are definitely worth having especially since they are usually quite affordable.

Top Bottom