What's new

Gem, Star & Ever Ready Lather Catcher Questions

My curiosity is peaked with the beautiful lather catchers. I am leaning towards one of the below 4 x razors being either a Gem Junior Bar, one of the Star versions, or an Ever Ready 1907.

1) Is it true that the Star version with the Star in the middle is a near duplicate to the Gem Junior Bar also in how it shaves?

2) How would these 4 x razors compare in terms of efficiency? I have an area of my neck that is very sensitive and my past success with GEM blades were limited to the milder Push Button and Contour razors before I moved on to injectors and found my preference there for the N & O models.

3) Can a light touch with any of these 4 razors give a smooth shave that won't tear up my neck?

4) Is there a version between these 4 that holds the blade more securely and has better blade stops?

Star 2.jpg

Gem.jpg

Ever ready.jpg

Star 1.jpg

4) Also, has anyone tried out these wedge adapters with any success in some of these older lather catchers?
wedge.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
My curiosity is peaked with the beautiful lather catchers. I am leaning towards one of the below 4 x razors being either a Gem Junior Bar, one of the Star versions, or an Ever Ready 1907.

1) Is it true that the Star version with the Star in the middle is a near duplicate to the Gem Junior Bar also in how it shaves?

2) How would these 4 x razors compare in terms of efficiency? I have an area of my neck that is very sensitive and my past success with GEM blades were limited to the milder Push Button and Contour razors before I moved on to injectors and found my preference there for the N & O models.

3) Can a light touch with any of these 4 razors give a smooth shave that won't tear up my neck?

4) Is there a version between these 4 that holds the blade more securely and has better blade stops?

View attachment 1083342
View attachment 1083340
View attachment 1083341
View attachment 1083352

4) Also, has anyone tried out these wedge adapters with any success in some of these older lather catchers?
View attachment 1083366

1. I have 3 of the 4 razors you listed, but not the Star Bar (regrettably). I believe @Ron R and @camoloc have both the Gem Jr Bar and the Star Bar, and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to help with this question.

2. In terms of comfort and closeness, I would start with the Gem Jr. Bar (it'll also be easier to find than the Star Bar, IME). The most aggressive razor (again in IME) is the Kampfe Bros Star (last razor you listed). Next would be the ER Lather Catcher.

3. The answer is Yes. I have trouble with irritation on my lower neck (throat around the Adam's apple), and the Gem Jr Bar is a pleasure to use for me. The others are fine as well, but I would start with the Gem. I will say that my irritation is often caused by trying to get too close of a cut there, so I only occasionally go against the grain. 99% of the time I go WTG or across the grain (XTG), and then I stop and call it "good enough".

4. I have tried those exact same Wedge adapters from a vendor on Etsy. I've had mixed success with them. Most 3D-printed stuff needs to be slightly customized (trimmed and sanded with a file or sand paper) by adjusting the dimensions to your Lather Catcher. I've got around 20 different types of Lather Catchers (yep, I've got a REAL problem), and I'd say that my success rate has been about 33% -- I could raise that percentage, but if I trim for one LC, it might not work for another. I should probably do more testing.

100% agree with Flintstones assessment and commentary.

with the Star#4 I have, it rates right there with or along side with the Gem Jr. bars that I have. I like it because the lined handle it came with is a little longer.

dont get me wrong I absolutely love the GEM Jr. bar"s iconic little black handles too.

Light touch is my tecnique that I use with these razors......borrowed from my use with the legendary Muhle R41.

I love them......if you can find a good specimen, i would advise it.

blade adapters......I'm waiting on a an order as we speak for my Star 1896 HR 7A. if needed I will dremel grind or adapt to fit if needed or possible.

camo

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems

View attachment 1083342
View attachment 1083340
View attachment 1083341
View attachment 1083352

View attachment 1083366
I just noticed your question about which razor holds the most securely and has best blade stops. In terms of "most" securely, I think the Bar razors (both the Gem Jr Bar and Star Bar [based on what I've heard from others]). Some of those bars close tighter than others, and @camoloc has done a great posting in this thread: The Association of Lather Catchers. That thread (if you haven't seen it) will also cover all of the Lather Catchers you have listed.

In terms of blade stops, that is less dependent on the razor model and more dependent on how the brass "stops" have held up over the years. I've found the same models with nicely raised blade stops and also with blade stops that have been worn down or even sheared off by their prior owner(s). The best you can do is to look closely at the pics and hope for the best. Many of us have been excited by an Lather Catcher, only to find when it's in hand that the one or both blade stops have a problem.

I hope that helps, and I want to echo @camoloc's post above: once you start down this road, you may be drawn into a long and enjoyable (albeit potentially costly) journey. If I had to choose just one Lather Catcher, I'd keep my best Gem Jr Bar. I love the way it shaves and looks.

wedge adapter alternative- I've also thought about using Plasti Dip applications to the spine end of a GEM razor to see if that would work. it would add thickness in the tail end....and rubber grip when being wedged.

looks like I only have black available locally.

camo

D

dangerousrazor

View attachment 1083342
View attachment 1083340
View attachment 1083341
View attachment 1083352

View attachment 1083366

I have all of them so I can add one more opinion.

1. I have two Star Bar lather catchers. and I had 5 Gem Junior Bar 2 of them earlier one, the rest later one.(now I've reduced them to 3) They all shave similarly except one exception of Star Bar Lather catcher. It feels a bit smoother and more efficient. I think it's due to manufacturing inconsistency, which results in meeting my preference accidentally.

2. I don't think their efficiency varies much. Their harshness varies much though. Their efficiency is good enough.

3. Gem Junior Bar and Star Bar won't hurt you. They are very smooth, mild razors. Ever Ready feels a bit harsh to me but if you take a cautious, slower touch, there will be few problems. and in my experience, Star Lather Catcher caused a lot of cuts and nicks. I don't recommend any one to use it with Gem blade.

4. I think Gem Junior Bar and Star Bar hold blades more securely than others. The blade stop has something more to do with its mileage than its manufacturer in this comparison.

and I've never had any success with blade adapters in lather catchers. The difference made with using adapter is negligible. All of lather catchers you mentioned except Star Lather Catcher do not accept Gem blade with adapters, if I remember correctly(I don't have any adapter at the moment.)

D

dangerousrazor

Sorry about my mistake. I mentioned that Gem Junior Bar and Ever Ready Lather Catcher doesnt accept blade adapter. I found my missing adapter and I tried it. They can be used with adapter like the pictures below. I will try Ever Ready Lather Catcher tomorrow with the adapter and report the result back.

20200407_213257.jpg
20200407_213303.jpg
20200407_213344.jpg
20200407_213347.jpg

Sorry about my mistake. I mentioned that Gem Junior Bar and Ever Ready Lather Catcher doesnt accept blade adapter. I found my missing adapter and I tried it. They can be used with adapter like the pictures below. I will try Ever Ready Lather Catcher tomorrow with the adapter and report the result back.

View attachment 1083685View attachment 1083687View attachment 1083688View attachment 1083689

thanks for posting.

do the adapters more or less orient the blade edge against the front surface of the razor?

thanks

camo

D

dangerousrazor

thanks for posting.

do the adapters more or less orient the blade edge against the front surface of the razor?

thanks

camo

The adapter seems to be more related to changing blade angle rather than changing blade exposure. As you know, wedge blade and old rib back blade are thicker on the back than Gem blade. That means when a lather catcher is used with Gem blade without adapter, it is seated at the base plate more flat, changing the orginally intended blade angle.

I can only comment on the GEM vs STAR, but not that particular model. When it comes to "1912" model, I have both GEM and STAR and don't notice any difference whatsoever, aside from the STAR vs GEM logo. They are amazing shavers, a pleasure to use. I have several different handles for them, metal and "fat" bakelite and I switch them, depending on my mood. ;)

D

dangerousrazor

I tried Ever Ready Lather Catcher with adapter. It made little imporvement, if there is any. I've tried adapter with Star, Heljestrand, Ever Ready so far and reached a conclusion that using adapter with lather catcher doesnt make a noticeable difference.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Of all the GEM type razors I have tried I found the Ever-Ready1914 to very close but yet very smooth. I do hand strop the blade before use. I don't think I could use a any GEM blade without first hand stropping it.

View attachment 1086261

View attachment 1086262
I also have one of these wonderful Ever-Ready 1914 razors. Will definitely be included in my SE Razor Comparison. :)

Thanks for all the replies.
It appears the junior bar should be my test object.

I notice there are several versions like the 1900, 1901, 1907 patents. Other than cosmetic differences in the inscriptions on the back or handle changes, is there any real difference in how each shaves?

I believe tightness of the bar and retaining clip are the bigger deciding factor to me.......

with this said they are similar to me (at least the ones I have).......and in the end the difference noticed could be just simply due to owning more than one type. I'm willing to own up to some of this being heavily influenced by perception as well.

camo

Top Bottom