What's new

GDs are too good for you!

Here is the much maligned "Selective" professional tools, in lovely mottled plastic scales.

Was it difficult to get an edge on there?

Oh yes. They must have semi-breadknifed the thing, because it was quite difficult to set the bevel, but set it I did (with a single layer of tape),and honed up as per usual from there.

HHTs like a champ now:w00t:

Could it be a fluke?

I have another one I'm going to try as well. All in the name of Science!:thumbup1:

Alright, time for you to fork over and buy one of those pakistan Damascus razors.

All in the name of science right :tongue_sm

Alright, time for you to fork over and buy one of those pakistan Damascus razors.

All in the name of science right :tongue_sm

Hmm.. I am not sure that even Seraphim can get one of those things to shave properly. I think all this talk about GD and Selective razors shaving is all a farce predicated by Seraphim as he is the US supplier and is trying to drum up business. :tongue_sm:lol:

I'm curious to know what you used to set the bevel on a bread knifed edge and how long it took. I've got a blade that has some chips and I was considering going down to a 220 grit (Norton) in order to remove a lot of metal. I would assume that a bread knifed edge wouldn't be too much different since a lot of metal needs to be moved in order to re-establish the bevel.

If you think that 220 is too radical I can jump up to the 1000 grit side but I hope I don't have to spend hours setting the bevel (and I don't have a stone in between). Any pointers would be helpful.

Sounds like a logical progression. With three layers of tape, should one expect to get to the point of shaving arm hair with relative ease? Or, should I just be checking to be sure that the chips (in my case) are gone and a bevel has been established, then progress to less tape?

Nice one. I bought a lot of straights recently and one of them is a Tomohawk brand :blink: but instead of going straight in the bin I'm going to put it aside and have a go at honing it.

Seraphim...... good for you on the edge!!!!!! I use a gold dollar honed by Larry Andro that I promise is every bit what my dovo is.....and you don't have to worry about dropping the darn thing. I am curious about the selective... Let us know.

Be careful though... Promoting inexpensive razors that actually shave well can be dangerous on a forum :behead:

I was banned a while back for such crazy talk!!!!! They thought I had gone insane :red_indian:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Seraphim...... good for you on the edge!!!!!! I use a gold dollar honed by Larry Andro that I promise is every bit what my dovo is.....and you don't have to worry about dropping the darn thing. I am curious about the selective... Let us know.

Be careful though... Promoting inexpensive razors that actually shave well can be dangerous on a forum :behead:

I was banned a while back for such crazy talk!!!!! They thought I had gone insane :red_indian:

Hmmmm...what kind of board would ban you for that!?

Top Bottom