What's new

GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday July 28

Congratulations. You've accomplished a great deal in a year.

I very much enjoyed your post. It helped that you were talking about three of my favorite pieces of kit as you discussed your razor, brush, and soap.

Thanks for explicitly mentioning the ghost lather of your Vitos Red Cocco. Its residual slickness is outstanding. Yes, it is probably the best ghost lather I've experienced. It all respects it's an easy to use, easy to get along with, and excellent soap for me.

Welcome to the beginning of your second year.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Congratulations. You've accomplished a great deal in a year.

I very much enjoyed your post. It helped that you were talking about three of my favorite pieces of kit as you discussed your razor, brush, and soap.

Thanks for explicitly mentioning the ghost lather of your Vitos Red Cocco. Its residual slickness is outstanding. Yes, it is probably the best ghost lather I've experienced. It all respects it's an easy to use, easy to get along with, and excellent soap for me.

Welcome to the beginning of your second year.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you Jim. I enjoy the community as much as the improved shaves. Thoughtful knowledgeable members like you make it so much better. John

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Vitos is something else. The available glide for follow up wet strokes, the best I’ve had. This is by far the easiest lather I’ve used. It wasn’t difficult to hydrate up or down and change lather consistency anytime with very little fuss. This was with a new boar brush. I will be looking forward to using a badger with Vitos and I know it will be sublime. Great post shave skin comfort. I will go without out the pre shave next shave and that’s a big step for me.

I dont remember reading about this before but I'm glad you both mention it.

The second year is even better. :)

Sunday August 2
Ten minute hot shower
SHAVE #23
Lo Storto
Voskhod (2)
Omega Jade- 011842 - 27mmx52mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

Omega Jade- 011842 - 27mmx52mm. If you want one they are exclusively supplied by Connaught Shaving. I purchased this brush for two reasons. The high praise it receives. Totally agree. I needed a good brush to compare to the boar knots I have set into purchased handles. I have another store bought, my Zenith Chubby Stubby, a third store bought was a Semogue 2000 which I gave away. The Zenith Chubby, hands down my favourite boar brush. My experience with boar brushes are these five boars, plus I knotted another boar yesterday afternoon and it is soaking in the refrigerator for a day or so. I will be selling the Jade and two of my DIY knotted brushes by year end. I will keep the Zenith Chubby and one of the three DIY knots. I like boar knots an awful lot. I love badger knots best though. I also knotted a white-tip two-band yesterday as well. I plan to end up with two boars, four badgers, one horse, in a fixed rotation in the beginning of the new year.

The Jade
An excellent brush. The Jade manages all brush duties with aplomb. It readily accepts and loads lather in seconds. A medium density knot. The 27mm knot is 29mm wet measured at the handle lip. It has 47mm of measured useable loft from glue bump. Second use the hairs continue to soften and split. It’s backbone is middle ground, providing a pleasant medium-soft scrub. It holds a nice footprint during use with comfort. Splaying is achieved with light smooth pressure. The 47mm loft is long enough to complete very smooth soft paint strokes without adjusting for short-loft-snap at stroke end, as with chubbies. The handle is comfortable as it fades into your hand while using. It is a good looking brush with a slight marbling in the jade colour. The Jade is the most well balanced boar I’ve used. The reputation it enjoys is well deserved. I have recommended this as a first brush to a few gents wanting to try a boar. I do not think you could do better.

Soap
Vitos Extra Super Coco is a hidden gem as they say. Not mentioned by many, not well known. Shortly after I began DE shaving I used various pre shaves which I’ve enjoyed using. Vitos does not need any insurance, help or assistance. Vitos has and does everything you need for an exceptional shave. I have rotated soaps after my third shave. Vitos will not rotate out for awhile. New Rules. I will be shaving with badgers after one more shave with the Jade. Vito is dying to meet a badger.

The Shave
Second time out was the charm. Lo Storto’s heritage pushed through. I could feel and sense Grande in every stroke of the shave. I got very happy and very relaxed. The other thing I could really feel is a Voskhod. I could feel the blade sharpness going for a dip just as I got to my neck. I could feel blade rigidity in the Voskhod. While I was feeling all these things Lo Storto rapidly stroked through 120 + hrs with silky smooth precision and efficiency. Starting on my cheeks I found the shallow angle a little bit steeper from where it is on the Grande. I went steep around the moustache and lips and up the centre of my neck. Both sides of my neck I went shallow. I fell into the same stroke selection as I’ve used with the Grande. Lo Storto could’t have been timed better for my ATG Single Pass shave. The improvement in efficiency has led to my best skin comfort to date. The face and head were BBS the neck was DFS. I will not push a blade for BBS. Extra strokes lead to loss of skin comfort for me. I will not be rotating Lo Storto unless Fatip offers Gold.

The Voskhod was binned. Planned blade trials for the Grande will now move to Lo Storto. New Rules. Lo Storto is loaded with an oiled edged Bic Chrome Platinum. Six shaves a month twelve passes. I’m looking for a blade that will go half the distance while staying in a Goldilocks zone for me. The Voskhod can‘t do it.

Attachments

• 5105897F-8FEA-487D-A7BA-47F92304444E.jpeg
    5105897F-8FEA-487D-A7BA-47F92304444E.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 2
Saturday August 8
Ten minute hot shower
SHAVE #24
Lo Storto
Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Omega Jade- 011842 - 27mmx52mm
Vitos Extra Super Coco
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

I have been going 120 hrs. Why not 144 hrs for my first Bic head Shave. I like this blade and even if it doesn’t do it for me on second and possible following shaves. I will be buying a half dozen tucks minimum. The Bic was not quite as sharp as a Feather but three times smoother. What a smooth blade. Smoother and considerably sharper than the Voskhod. Half way thru the face shave I could feel the coating disappear and a tad less smoothness but still very nice. My ATG Single Pass shaves probably have a 20% wet blade to skin follow up strokes. Great lather, smooth blade, flawless BBS. This was third and last shave with the Jade. It is a an excellent brush. I prefer a larger or denser knot for my head lathering. This is not a criticism but a preference.
Efficiency what is it? For me you do less and get more. Vitos is the most efficient, comfortable, easiest soap I have ever used. I will not be rotating Vitos any time soon. I will be using a newly knotted white tip two band with it next shave. Badger is my favourite hair. I am very excited and looking forward to Vitos with badger. Vitos will be the first re purchase on a soap for me.
Lo Storto is the bomb. A Grande on steroids. Just like the Grande sharper blades accelerate the performance to an unmatched smoothness and efficiency. Third shave and every shave stroke was pure enjoyment. I will never leave The House of Fatip.
Sastifaction, enjoyment, efficiency, smoothness and comfort was today’s shave. I’m happy.

Attachments

• 985CC592-19AE-4897-BF1D-7E9652FB1A76.jpeg
    985CC592-19AE-4897-BF1D-7E9652FB1A76.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3771C044-EBF6-4629-8BB4-180A047D34D0.jpeg
    3771C044-EBF6-4629-8BB4-180A047D34D0.jpeg
    662.9 KB · Views: 3

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Do you mean that if you start with a 2” stroke, your second stroke ends 3” from where the first started (assuming a straight line)? And John’s would be 3.6” if your formulae are identical and I got this right?

144 is gross!

That is high praise based on the blades you’ve tried.

Would you please explain this more? Is that an overlap on your strokes?
144 is gross!
I need a shave next Thursday adjustment made back to 120hrs

That is high praise based on the blades you’ve tried.
I am enjoying the try outs on sharper blades. The Bic was a real comfortable shave. Two more shaves even if they drop to a DFS but keep smoothness. It will be another sharp blade to keep on hand.

Would you please explain this more? Is that an overlap on your strokes?
I guess I should have explained that better. My regular strokes are three quick strokes in succession as I move across my face and from centre to ear return same thing moving up my face 90% shallow will go steep if the angle requires a change. Every line of strokes across my face are overlapping like doing shingles up a roof. I need very few touch ups on face. After I do my face sides I do the moustache and mouth area. Usually a little extra buffing on moustache and a little on chin edge. Neck up the centre South to North is ATG. The neck sides right to left for ATG. I need a few touch ups usually along the left chin. None today though. My head is is straight South to North ATG. Same triple strokes up the side and back of my head.There isn’t enough hair on top for a grain pattern. Back of my head requires extra buffing especially two swirls. This is where I do that extra wet buffing it’s all at the back and up the sides of my head a bit. I prefer going after those spots just with the wet razor. It’s gentle buffing and effective. My head skin is normal not sensitive. First use Feather will get them without buffing. This was first use on the Bic. I doubt I’ll get two more BBS passes next shave, We’ll see. I quit doing any extra buffing on my neck and I accept what I get after a three stroke pass. Anything past my third stroke starts the irritation meter. I am more than happy with a comfortable irritation free DFS if that’s all I get from the blade. I’m always using new blades. Never more than six passes. I reload my used blade flipped and oil the edges with pre shave oil. If the second shave on the Bic remains smooth I’ll load it for a third shave. This was the same basic shave I used with my three pass shave. The economy of strokes removed 99% of irritation on my sensitive neck areas. My shave has morphed into a very quick comfortable face & head shave. My experience so far with the Lo Storto is the same as the Grande. The sharper the blade the quicker the shave. This third shave with the Lo Storto feels identical to my Grande shaves with a little more efficiency, I also feel the blade edge more. Lo Storto is also a little smoother shave and I suspect because of the efficiency. If I didn’t see the FOCS in my hand it feels exactly the same as the Grande. I think of it as the Grande being the Gentile to Lo Storto.

Last edited:
I overlap strokes about 50% for most of my shave.
I guess I didn’t explain my clean up strokes properly. They are for the back and a little on the sides towards the back. Mike I explained my shave in reply @thombrogan. Sorry for the poor description I was in a hurry to barbecue. And yes as I’m moving up the previous line of strokes overlapped like roofing shingles going up.

Last edited:
Do you mean that if you start with a 2” stroke, your second stroke ends 3” from where the first started (assuming a straight line)? And John’s would be 3.6” if your formulae are identical and I got this right?
I don’t understand any of the math Thom. I’m thinking my strokes might be around an inch in length. I just use that same stroke wherever I can. I’ve never thought about it. I use short strokes and just move up. Other than neck sides everything is South to North. I guess I’m lucky without too many crazy patterns. I would call it simple and straight forward. Lo Storto fast. I will drag out my lathering as long as possible sometimes too long, I enjoy it so much. I do miss extra lathering passes but not irritation.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Every line of strokes across my face are overlapping like doing shingles up a roof.

I think I get it. And the 20% is where the shingle-like overlap occurs?

This third shave with the Lo Storto feels identical to my Grande shaves with a little more efficiency, I also feel the blade edge more. Lo Storto is also a little smoother shave and I suspect because of the efficiency. If I didn’t see the FOCS in my hand it feels exactly the same as the Grande. I think of it as the Grande being the Gentile to Lo Storto.

Even with the Fatip pedigree behind them and the appreciation expressed for them by yourself, Cal, Chan Eil Whiskers, Cal, jmudrick, Raven Koenes, and rudyt, I‘ll admire such razors from afar. The Fatip Grande handles all my Fatip DE wans.

I don’t understand any of the math Thom.

It was my attempt to understand the overlap, but your analogy to roofing shingles was better.

That one zinged right over my shaved head Thom

Not realizing you were at a barbecue, I thought your silence meant my pun caused offense.

Even with the Fatip pedigree behind them and the appreciation expressed for them by yourself, Cal, Chan Eil Whiskers, Cal, jmudrick, Raven Koenes, and rudyt, I‘ll admire such razors from afar. The Fatip Grande handles all my Fatip DE wans.

It was my attempt to understand the overlap, but your analogy to roofing shingles was better.

Not realizing you were at a barbecue, I thought your silence meant my pun caused offense.
The extra wet buffing I do is mostly on the back and up the sides a little. I meant that 20% as an area of the head shave. The two swirls I have usually require extra buffing. That is the last part of my shave. Cleaning up those swirls at the back of my head. My head skin is normal. I gently wet blade buff that area. Shines it up to a nice BBS.

I am crazy over my Grande. Lo Storto was just a step forward. The blade edge because of the rigidity cuts whiskers better. The blade rigidity gives me better blade feedback. My shave is more efficient, making it smoother and more comfortable. Could the Grande do as well sure. You would just have to work a less rigid blade a lot harder and you would lose some efficiency and smoothness. After three shaves that is the way it feels to me. In another three shaves I may have a different feedback and opinion. I really don’t know.
Lo Storto isn’t for everyone. I believe it was last week a gentleman gave it a good try didn’t care for it. It didn’t live a day on BST. The Grande & Lo Storto in their dimensions, balance, and weight are perfect. The head design screams efficiency. The beautifully rounded teeth provide a luxurious silky glide. The sharper the blade you load the faster it shaves. Every blade has its own speed based on sharpness. I find both razors to be extremely responsive. Four or five strokes into my shave I become unaware of the razor and only feel and react to blade edge. Not everybody likes them but the dudes who do. Like them a lot. I still like Mikes definition I want a razor to match my shave style. The design excellence of these razors do that for a lot of gents.
I never actually roofed but I watched a few houses get roofed. That is the way it’s pictured in my wiring.

Thom if you check the Gillette 1930‘s basic shave instructions and Mantics shave video. That’s exactly how I shave and where I learned the strokes. When I started DE shaving I came from carts and I used a cart stroke. A long stroke with wrist flex. Too many moving parts. Too long a stroke. Lots of time for bad stuff to happen. My first short stroke provides feedback and the following two strokes are corrected to be very close to the sweet spot. Three swipes at the same spot. Usually two are very good. The strokes are short and quick. Surprisingly once you are onto the stroke. You get feedback, and in that length and speed you make adjustments. Its instinctive and happens automatically.

Thom I know you are a gentleman and would not be offensive. It is always pleasant exchanging ideas with you. You also have a very good sense of humour.

Top Bottom