What's new

GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The ink is drying.

On the report of a blade that won’t have evidence collected until your Lo Storto expedition is concluded?

Them gnomes, in subdued lighting there is a malevolence about them. I’ve never seen them smile and they probably have sharp little teeth.

Indeed, all of their teeth are small and many of them are sharp. As subterranean omnivores, most of their protein sources are derived from invertebrates, moles, voles, and shrews. With the steady lack of above-ground and aquatic animals in their diets, smiles are rare for them.

So much experience and knowledge available here.

Agreed. I’ve stolen many gems before following the lead of @Esox and obtaining some GEMs.

The extra time allows full skin recovery which I did not do in the early going.

It feels rewarding to finish a shave. Even if it’s one which shouldn‘t have started.

my improved shave and technique has made me more conservative in pushing a blade too hard.

Makes sense. Your skin‘s safety is more important than saving a paltry amount on a blade.

My recent experience taught me that the razor will pick you.

One can still deceive oneself for the enjoyment of trying more. There are so many to try.

Or as Mike Esox has said; “I like a razor that suits me and my technique. I want the razor to match me and how I want to shave.

That’s giving me a think. And it allows me to justify trying one more razor blade.

On the report of a blade that won’t have evidence collected until your Lo Storto expedition is concluded?
I plan to rotate the razors every three shaves. Looking forward to the Bic’s debut in twenty days. My razor trials will only be with the Grande. One cycle is, three shaves, six passes, fifteen days.

It feels rewarding to finish a shave. Even if it’s one which shouldn‘t have started.
My shaves are a planned event. I have five days between them. Each three shave cycle all components of the shave are Fixed (notwithstanding blade trials). Any failures of the shave are considered, examined, and corrected for the following two shaves in the cycle. Third shaves in my cycle are always the best because weak components have been eliminated adjusted or corrected. Gains are held moving forward.
I came from cart shaving with one brush a Harry’s razor and a couple of soaps. Without a plan operating in a new environment with twelve razors, twenty plus soaps, a gazillion blades eight new brushes and counting. In the early going chaos. A very large improvement for me this year, selling eleven razors. I only have to build my shaves around two razors. Razor focus dramatically improved my shaves. Having a plan and executing without deviation was the only way for me to increase efficiency and comfort while moving forward. The plan covers fifteen days, three shaves, six passes. Not complicated and easy for me to follow. I can not recall my last bad shave.

Makes sense. Your skin‘s safety is more important than saving a paltry amount on a blade.
I’m looking for a blade that will deliver six BBS passes, almost as sharp as the Feather and as smooth or smoother than the Voskhod. The Feather for me gets two BBS+ and two DFS+/BBS passes none of which are smoother than the Voskhod. Binning a blade after second use is not because it is a poor blade. It is a blade that does not fit my very tight criteria. Derby Premium was the next binned after four passes two shaves. The Bic Chrome Platinum is locked and loaded in the Grande ready for its mission in twenty days. As my shaving technique continues to improve I do not push blades as hard as in extra buffing. They are either sharp and smooth for six or binned. I have plenty of nice sharp blades to try. One of them will be a lock for my shave style and technique. All the sharp blades I’m trying deliver DFS without extra buffing, I can live with that until I find The One. My skin is the healthiest it’s been and continues to improve.

That’s giving me a think. And it allows me to justify trying one more razor blade.
My early going with blades was a little shaky. Improved razors and shave technique have brought blade trials to a very enjoyable part of my shave. I don’t think I’ll ever stop trying blades. For me more fun than soaps.
Will look forward to the Bic report!
Me too. Waiting twenty days really heightens my excitement about a blade.

thombrogan

I plan to rotate the razors every three shaves. Looking forward to the Bic’s debut in twenty days. My razor trials will only be with the Grande. One cycle is, three shaves, six passes, fifteen days.

In the meantime, you’ll get to see if the Lo Storto Originale lives up to the praise given by longtime Fatip fanatics and I look forward to reading those entries (though I can’t wrap my mind around a slant because I don’t shave my dome and fear it would neat sideburns impossible).

My shaves are a planned event. I have five days between them. Each three shave cycle all components of the shave are Fixed (notwithstanding blade trials). Any failures of the shave are considered, examined, and corrected for the following two shaves in the cycle. Third shaves in my cycle are always the best because weak components have been eliminated adjusted or corrected. Gains are held moving forward.

That is excellent and definitely a benefit of not shaving daily.

How do you get used to the stubble near the end of even 48 hours? I’m only 44 hours in; barely have a keratin shadow; and feel like I’m an hour from becoming a cactus.

I came from cart shaving with one brush a Harry’s razor and a couple of soaps. Without a plan operating in a new environment with twelve razors, twenty plus soaps, a gazillion blades eight new brushes and counting. In the early going chaos.

Unless bitter circumstances conspire, the road to a single razor is full of anxiety and regretted purchases.

A very large improvement for me this year, selling eleven razors. I only have to build my shaves around two razors. Razor focus dramatically improved my shaves. Having a plan and executing without deviation was the only way for me to increase efficiency and comfort while moving forward.

Nice. My plan of holding the blade better and modulating pressure more effectively is usually too nebulous. Plus, there’s balance of shaving daily versus shaving better less frequently that helps make it easier to crush the wheel and reinvent it every so often.

I’m looking for a blade that will deliver six BBS passes, almost as sharp as the Feather and as smooth or smoother than the Voskhod.

At 59-61 two pass shaves/year, even two smoother-than-Voskhod BBS passes doesn’t sound extravagant.

Binning a blade after second use is not because it is a poor blade. It is a blade that does not fit my very tight criteria.

Yes. You’re preserving your dermis and the least irritating manner of clearing it. I’d love to keep a GEM or Astra blade going until it’s worn past keeping its original geometry in a safety razor, but that wouldn’t be the type of edge that would allow what you want from them.

My idiot mind now turns to thoughts of Mylar over float glass with 0.1μ diamond compound to smooth out any edge before even first use and maintain it until mechanical failure claims the blade.

As my shaving technique continues to improve I do not push blades as hard as in extra buffing. They are either sharp and smooth for six or binned. I have plenty of nice sharp blades to try.

Playing devil’s advocate: will you retry blades in the Lo Storto Originale that have already been trialed in the Grande?

All the sharp blades I’m trying deliver DFS without extra buffing, I can live with that until I find The One. My skin is the healthiest it’s been and continues to improve.

That is awesome to read. Another ATG-only shaver uses extensive buffing in his single pass shaves, but he keeps a similar span between shaves as you and also noted skin improvement. He tried helping down this path (especially because I asked so much), but I fell back to daily shaves and new ways of doing the same wrong stuff repeatespy.

I don’t think I’ll ever stop trying blades. For me more fun than soaps.

And take up so little room and have less storage requirements.

Waiting twenty days really heightens my excitement about a blade.

Even here as your reader, I agree.

In the meantime, you’ll get to see if the Lo Storto Originale lives up to the praise given by longtime Fatip fanatics and I look forward to reading those entries (though I can’t wrap my mind around a slant because I don’t shave my dome and fear it would neat sideburns impossible).

How do you get used to the stubble near the end of even 48 hours? I’m only 44 hours in; barely have a keratin shadow; and feel like I’m an hour from becoming a cactus.

Unless bitter circumstances conspire, the road to a single razor is full of anxiety and regretted purchases.

Nice. My plan of holding the blade better and modulating pressure more effectively is usually too nebulous. Plus, there’s balance of shaving daily versus shaving better less frequently that helps make it easier to crush the wheel and reinvent it every so often.

At 59-61 two pass shaves/year, even two smoother-than-Voskhod BBS passes doesn’t sound extravagant.

Yes. You’re preserving your dermis and the least irritating manner of clearing it. I’d love to keep a GEM or Astra blade going until it’s worn past keeping its original geometry in a safety razor, but that wouldn’t be the type of edge that would allow what you want from them.

My idiot mind now turns to thoughts of Mylar over float glass with 0.1μ diamond compound to smooth out any edge before even first use and maintain it until mechanical failure claims the blade.

Playing devil’s advocate: will you retry blades in the Lo Storto Originale that have already been trialed in the Grande?

That is awesome to read. Another ATG-only shaver uses extensive buffing in his single pass shaves, but he keeps a similar span between shaves as you and also noted skin improvement. He tried helping down this path (especially because I asked so much), but I fell back to daily shaves and new ways of doing the same wrong stuff repeatespy.

And take up so little room and have less storage requirements.

Even here as your reader, I agree.
Grande owners reporting better shaves with Lo Storto got my attention. This will be the third slant I’ve tried. The biggest significance open comb. I would never consider using a solid bar razor again. It is too opposed to my shave technique. Lo Storto is the Grande, just twisted. Same perfection in weight and balance, same dimensions. In my hand it feels the same, I have fondled this razor. You do not use a slant any different than a non slant. After the second stroke you forget it is a slant.

Yesterdays DFS shave at 26hrs is -CS now. Tomorrow at 48 SAS at 72 hrs it does get a little itchy sometimes. Easily handled with skin products. 96 hrs looks like I might be considering a beard. 120 hours a shave. With carts I shaved at 72 hrs pretty much same growth at 120 now. DE efficiency. I‘m cleaner shaved than I’ve ever been.

I do not regret a single purchase I made. Everything that did not fit my shave or preferences I learned from. You can never know what equipment or products are like without trying them. The eleven razors I sold were all excellent razors. They were responsible for delivering me to the Grande. Not because they weren’t good. They did not fit my shave style. Taking a hit selling them was just the price of the journey. If I feel confident a purchase will improve efficiency and comfort it is worth a try. There aren’t any short cuts for trying stuff out.

Why would you use a stroke with modulating pressure? A locked wrist with short quick strokes are the original instructions for DE. Short quick strokes do not have any modulation. The original instructions I follow to the letter. Except for the hot water. I’m a cold water shaver.
My DFS shave minimum would be accomplished regardless of time between shaves. More time between shaves is a skin requirement. Nothing to do with shaving efficiency. If your skin is not right you should not shave it. You can not shave injured skin without doing more damage to the skin. It doesn’t matter how good a shaver you are.

The blades are there you just have to find them and try them. Twenty days to my next blade no short cuts. I will be revisiting all my early blades because of improved technique l will find different results. I did with the Feather.

Pushing a blade to failure does not come without consequences. I read posts about it daily. I get wanting to achieve the most you can out of a four cent blade. What I don’t get is accepting blade failure while the blade is in contact with your skin.
I have just started to spray my blade with iso and than oil the edges with pre-shave oil flip the blade and reinstall. The oiled edge is to slow down corrosion and increase longevity. My blade sits five days between uses. I won’t be waking up at three in the morning in a cold sweat worrying about corrosion.

Lo Storto is loaded with the blade I am most familiar with the Voskhod. Three shaves with Lo Storto will bring the razor to the same comfort level I appreciate with the Grande. My question is can Lo Storto/Voskhod be as efficient as Grande/Feather.

If a dude is using extensive buffing his technique could be weak. The blade may not be sharp enough for the shave conditions. This would apply to any pass. The DFS shaves I am presently accepting are what the blade offers without extra buffing. I could very easily buff the DFS into BBS+ territory. I would be making up or covering for poor blade efficiency and performance. I know this because the 1st use Feather does not require extra buffing to deliver a BBS+ shave. The Feather can not do three of my shaves or six passes only two passes at BBS+. That is why I will be ecstatic when I find a blade that will do six. DFS+/BBS would be great. Six Smooth Passes. No extra buffing, part of my journey.

Attachments

• 231F0D33-04DD-4C9A-8BC7-74020BF9ABC0.jpeg
    231F0D33-04DD-4C9A-8BC7-74020BF9ABC0.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

thombrogan

The instructions in your attached photograph said: ”DO NOT hold or use as you would a hoe.”

Pre-P&G Gillette was preachy, too!

Grande owners reporting better shaves with Lo Storto got my attention.

Same here. Just not enough to nab one from Connaught’s when the USD was relatively stronger a month or two ago, either. Does the Canadian dollar’s exchange with the pound fluctuate similarly or do ties between nations smooth that out?

I would never consider using a solid bar razor again. It is too opposed to my shave technique.

Is it steep and ATG with the comb felt most prominently? My first single edge has a solid bar that I didn’t think would work with that type of use (just previously doing so with my Grande), but it did.

You do not use a slant any different than a non slant. After the second stroke you forget it is a slant.

I use my razor to set the hairline right in front of my ears, so the asymmetry would drive me bonkers.

72 hrs it does get a little itchy sometimes. Easily handled with skin products.

Question a non-institutionalized person in civilization should already know: which skin products? Hydrocortisone? Just moisturizer? 10.56% lidocaine from Seoul?

There aren’t any short cuts for trying stuff out.

Calling sour grapes and high price tags have helped me limit purchases for now. Dual rails and other signs of incomplete blade support let me write off the most striking razors as “Butter plates.” Look perfect, but their plates…

Why would you use a stroke with modulating pressure?

I‘m not much for kinesthetic awareness.

Short quick strokes do not have any modulation.

I haven’t been quick and sometimes not short.

I will be revisiting all my early blades because of improved technique l will find different results.

It will be really interesting to see which blades are standouts as your technique improves.

I get wanting to achieve the most you can out of a four cent blade. What I don’t get is accepting blade failure while the blade is in contact with your skin.

Was reading a discussion about getting the most out of blades and one participant mentioned his brand would last between some particular range, but he bins them earlier because they inevitably fail mid shave and what you said just reminded me.

I have just started to spray my blade with iso and than oil the edges with pre-shave oil flip the blade and reinstall. The oiled edge is to slow down corrosion and increase longevity. My blade sits five days between uses. I won’t be waking up at three in the morning in a cold sweat worrying about corrosion.

Pre-shave oil sounds a lot better than Ballistol. Isopropyl sounds good, too, for reducing that personal touch. I clean my blades with hot water, pat them dry, and hope for the best.

Lo Storto is loaded with the blade I am most familiar with the Voskhod. Three shaves with Lo Storto will bring the razor to the same comfort level I appreciate with the Grande. My question is can Lo Storto/Voskhod be as efficient as Grande/Feather.

It’s your razor and blade, but the anticipation is shared.

If a dude is using extensive buffing his technique could be weak. The blade may not be sharp enough for the shave conditions. This would apply to any pass. The DFS shaves I am presently accepting are what the blade offers without extra buffing. I could very easily buff the DFS into BBS+ territory. I would be making up or covering for poor blade efficiency and performance. I know this because the 1st use Feather does not require extra buffing to deliver a BBS+ shave. The Feather can not do three of my shaves or six passes only two passes at BBS+. That is why I will be ecstatic when I find a blade that will do six. DFS+/BBS would be great. Six Smooth Passes. No extra buffing, part of my journey.

I hope you find a range of blades with that performance.

In response to your paragraph, I stuffed a fresh blade in my MMOC and it will be facing 80 hours’ growth.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In response to your paragraph, I stuffed a fresh blade in my MMOC and it will be facing 80 hours’ growth.

If you have less than 10 shaves on the blade you're about to toss, you might be missing the best it has to offer. 80 hours is nothing. 100 hours was nothing ATG first pass and I really dont think 200 hours growth would make any difference.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

Decisions, decisions haha.

thombrogan

If you have less than 10 shaves on the blade you're about to toss, you might be missing the best it has to offer. 80 hours is nothing. 100 hours was nothing ATG first pass and I really dont think 200 hours growth would make any difference.

You could well be correct. I’ve read of the famous buttery smooth period many blade; usually DE blades; take on long after the first dozen shaves have passed. I’ve yet to read of the same with GEM blades.

The time period is not a concern for the razor’s capabilities — it’s my ability to resist plucking my whiskers by hand when they’re long enough to easily pluck and my ability to withstand feeling scratchy.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You could well be correct. I’ve read of the famous buttery smooth period many blade; usually DE blades; take on long after the first dozen shaves have passed. I’ve yet to read of the same with GEM blades.

The time period is not a concern for the razor’s capabilities — it’s my ability to resist plucking my whiskers by hand when they’re long enough to easily pluck and my ability to withstand feeling scratchy.

For me, PTFE's start to mellow on shave 4. Shaves 4-10 are done with progressively steeper angles and increased pressure. By shave 10 I'm using as much blade as I can feel with as little comb as I can feel, preferably none so basically all blade, with more pressure than I'd ever use with a DE razor.

I can likely take them past 10 shaves but I had an ingrown hair on shave 12 once and I think 10 per blade is pretty good anyway.

Shaves 1-4 are done with the back of the cap against my skin with just enough pressure to lift my skin enough to engage the blade.

MMOC_Fresh_Blade.jpg

By shave 5 I'm using this bevel on the cap with the same amount of pressure as through shaves 1-4.

steep.jpg

Each consecutive shave after shave 5 is done slightly steeper and, by shave 8, the pressure applied has increased considerably.

Shaves 4-10 are some of the best shaves I've ever had but last nights with my Grande, a fresh Feather and Cella Bio, matched them.

thombrogan

Had been using the larger cap/shallower angle for most of the time with steep hovering for clean up and parts of the jawline and chin that weren’t comfortably accessible going shallow. From shave one to shave six, it didn‘t inspire any ideas it would last 20+ shaves like many DE blades. Still seems awesomest razor I’ve ever used.

ame here. Just not enough to nab one from Connaught’s when the USD was relatively stronger a month or two ago, either. Does the Canadian dollar’s exchange with the pound fluctuate similarly or do ties between nations smooth that out?
I don’t pay attention to dollar fluctuations on my purchases. If it is a product that is pricey and can wait I may wait for a Holiday Weekend Sale. There are a few non shave items I will be purchasing from the USA on Black Friday sales. I live rural and internet shopping by far works out good for me on everything. The availability of hot shave items and wait lists a way of life. I had purchased my Zenith brushes USA knowing I could have got them cheaper Internationally. Delivery was quicker and I was impatient. The global mail systems are working great.

Is it steep and ATG with the comb felt most prominently? My first single edge has a solid bar that I didn’t think would work with that type of use (just previously doing so with my Grande), but it did.
The open comb is 98% lather management for me. Following the first few strokes through the lather, a quick dip and rinse and I redo those same strokes with water dripping off the comb teeth making use of the lather left. A solid bar squeegees off that lather. Not suited to my shave style. I can feel the difference in cut and lather lubrication and it is significant. I sold all my solid bars.

I use my razor to set the hairline right in front of my ears, so the asymmetry would drive me bonkers.
The symmetry is excellent as you can see. Two blades straight and parallel yes there is a little hump in the slant. You are shaving with the edge of the blade. Do not look at the rest of either razor Just The Edge. Your muscle memory will align that straight edge to shave your burns straight. It really works that way. I used to have sideburns.

Question a non-institutionalized person in civilization should already know: which skin products? Hydrocortisone? Just moisturizer? 10.56% lidocaine from Seoul?
After washing my face today I used Nivea Cool Kick balm, a few minutes after it soaked in I used Lucky Tiger Shave Tonic, I have a half dozen balms. I use them mostly between shaves. I always put something on my washed face and head skin. If it is agreeable to your skin and feels good, go with it. My pre and post shave products are what most other dudes use in their shave kits.

Calling sour grapes and high price tags have helped me limit purchases for now. Dual rails and other signs of incomplete blade support let me write off the most striking razors as “Butter plates.” Look perfect, but their plates…
The razor offerings are fantastic. Disneyland a ride for everybody. Why do I keep reading about accomplished shavers using 80 year old razors. Quite a few dudes feel that a C- Note will get them two of the most excellent razors in the world. Pictured below. A higher price cannot always compete against design and simplicity in materials, excellence in performance. I have to stop. I am biased. I love Fatip.

I‘m not much for kinesthetic awareness.
Respectfully I disagree with you. You own and use DE and SE. There is no way you use the multiple variables in your shave without Kinaesthetic awareness and blade feel. If you didn’t have it you would shred the skin off your face.
I came from carts using long modulating strokes with applied pressure to a flexing shave head while flexing my wrist through the stroke. That’s a lot of moving parts. That was a bad stroke to use with an extremely sharp blade on a fixed head that does not flex. A locked wrist with short quick strokes is the correct stroke for fixed heads. I’m in my middle seventies, I have arthritic hands, and I learned the stroke. It can be very helpful to watch an expert and than try to emulate.
Please view the video and consider adding a different stroke to your shave. It was an amazing difference in my shave. Please trust your kinaesthetic awareness and blade feel. You do have them. I would be thrilled if you would give it a try.
I haven’t been quick and sometimes not short.
As described above. My father-in-law used to tell me its easy when you know how.

It will be really interesting to see which blades are standouts as your technique improves.
Yes I’m enthusiastically looking forward to re-do’s. Numbers keep getting in my way though. Only six shaves a month and twelve passes. It makes choices easier with fewer opportunities. I’m very particular what I may try out. Like other than the Voskhod, I only want to work with blades in the sharpest group. It takes a long time before I get my greasy hands on anything. If you hear of any whisker fertilizers let me know.

Was reading a discussion about getting the most out of blades and one participant mentioned his brand would last between some particular range, but he bins them earlier because they inevitably fail mid shave and what you said just reminded me.
Yes. I keep reading about dudes doing that and I don’t understand. I did put my hot wet tongue on the freezing steel pole at school when I was a kid. I only did it one time though. I guess it’s a groundhog thing.

Pre-shave oil sounds a lot better than Ballistol. Isopropyl sounds good, too, for reducing that personal touch. I clean my blades with hot water, pat them dry, and hope for the best.
I had a bottle that I was never going to use. I have only treated the one blade one time and we’re back to waiting twenty days. I had done the same as you previously. It’ll be months before I would even get a half dozen blades through. Somewhere in the back of my wiring it seems to be a good idea.

It’s your razor and blade, but the anticipation is shared.
Almost everyday I’m reading of some gent getting one in the mail. Lo Storto has established a strong expanding presence in the community.

I hope you find a range of blades with that performance.

I have no doubt that I will. I know all the blades I try are great blades but only a few will fit in my operating window. I do not have any SE experience. I think the slants blade manipulation puts it in that barn. I’ll be looking forward to Mike’s comparison with SE’s. He has a Lo Storto incoming.

Attachments

• D35F0549-97E6-40DB-B21B-F4185FED16A1.jpeg
    D35F0549-97E6-40DB-B21B-F4185FED16A1.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 6
  • AE224495-A796-4CDD-9C15-E71AA20EDE33.jpeg
    AE224495-A796-4CDD-9C15-E71AA20EDE33.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 6

thombrogan

I don’t pay attention to dollar fluctuations on my purchases. If it is a product that is pricey and can wait I may wait for a Holiday Weekend Sale. There are a few non shave items I will be purchasing from the USA on Black Friday sales. I live rural and internet shopping by far works out good for me on everything. The availability of hot shave items and wait lists a way of life. I had purchased my Zenith brushes USA knowing I could have got them cheaper Internationally. Delivery was quicker and I was impatient. The global mail systems are working great.

It’s definitely not a large factor in the big scheme of little things, but a curiosity which fascinates me.

The open comb is 98% lather management for me. Following the first few strokes through the lather, a quick dip and rinse and I redo those same strokes with water dripping off the comb teeth making use of the lather left. A solid bar squeegees off that lather. Not suited to my shave style. I can feel the difference in cut and lather lubrication and it is significant. I sold all my solid bars.

The redoing without reapplying lather! Some seek soaps and creams with preternatural amounts of residual slickness and you let spaces in the comb accomplish the same. Gotcha! Too bad the Yaqi Mellon doesn’t have Fatip levels of blade exposure.

The symmetry is excellent as you can see. Two blades straight and parallel yes there is a little hump in the slant. You are shaving with the edge of the blade. Do not look at the rest of either razor Just The Edge. Your muscle memory will align that straight edge to shave your burns straight. It really works that way. I used to have sideburns.

Currently still unable to wrap my head around it. Your photos concur with your description and I still am wary.

After washing my face today I used Nivea Cool Kick balm, a few minutes after it soaked in I used Lucky Tiger Shave Tonic, I have a half dozen balms. I use them mostly between shaves. I always put something on my washed face and head skin. If it is agreeable to your skin and feels good, go with it. My pre and post shave products are what most other dudes use in their shave kits.

Thank you. The postal service suggests an order with a bottle of witch hazel and aloe (and MENTHOL) should soon be here. If it helps with irritation, that is best. If not, it’ll still be cool.

The razor offerings are fantastic. Disneyland a ride for everybody. Why do I keep reading about accomplished shavers using 80 year old razors. Quite a few dudes feel that a C- Note will get them two of the most excellent razors in the world. Pictured below. A higher price cannot always compete against design and simplicity in materials, excellence in performance. I have to stop. I am biased. I love Fatip.

Fatip makes great razors at great prices. The also have Joris and Plisson razors if great prices aren’t your thing.

My GEM Micromatics and Gillette Post-War Tech all cost less than my nickel-plated Fatip Grande. The Micromatics are in the same league. The Tech is awesome if I don’t shave solely ATG.

It bugs me that other, modern razors I think would be great to own and use more expensive and most possibly less efficient than the Fatip Lo Storto Originale.

Respectfully I disagree with you. You own and use DE and SE. There is no way you use the multiple variables in your shave without Kinaesthetic awareness and blade feel. If you didn’t have it you would shred the skin off your face.
I came from carts using long modulating strokes with applied pressure to a flexing shave head while flexing my wrist through the stroke. That’s a lot of moving parts. That was a bad stroke to use with an extremely sharp blade on a fixed head that does not flex. A locked wrist with short quick strokes is the correct stroke for fixed heads. I’m in my middle seventies, I have arthritic hands, and I learned the stroke. It can be very helpful to watch an expert and than try to emulate.
Please view the video and consider adding a different stroke to your shave. It was an amazing difference in my shave. Please trust your kinaesthetic awareness and blade feel. You do have them. I would be thrilled if you would give it a try.

Just watched Mantic59’s video. Thank you. I think I can make that work for ATG goodness. Trying to get to 96 hours will be even tougher.

As described above. My father-in-law used to tell me its easy when you know how.

Not able to disagree with his statement one bit. Only wish I could rush the learning experience without just learning impatience makes irritation worse.

Yes I’m enthusiastically looking forward to re-do’s. Numbers keep getting in my way though. Only six shaves a month and twelve passes. It makes choices easier with fewer opportunities. I’m very particular what I may try out. Like other than the Voskhod, I only want to work with blades in the sharpest group. It takes a long time before I get my greasy hands on anything. If you hear of any whisker fertilizers let me know.

Minoxidil. Not a recommendation.

Yes. I keep reading about dudes doing that and I don’t understand. I did put my hot wet tongue on the freezing steel pole at school when I was a kid. I only did it one time though.

A wet lightpost is a risk, but it’s still not a Nacet with 86 previous shaves on it.

I had a bottle that I was never going to use. I have only treated the one blade one time and we’re back to waiting twenty days. I had done the same as you previously. It’ll be months before I would even get a half dozen blades through. Somewhere in the back of my wiring it seems to be a good idea.

Slowing oxidation on steel is almost universally good and you got some use from your existing stock. Win-win I think.

Almost everyday I’m reading of some gent getting one in the mail. Lo Storto has established a strong expanding presence in the community.

While still early days, I’ve seen a lot fewer Lo Storto razors on sale than, say, Tatara Masamune Nodachi razors, so that’s a good sign.

An open comb Tatara Masamune Nodachi is one of the razors I think I’d like more than a Fatip Lo Storto Originale.

I have no doubt that I will. I know all the blades I try are great blades but only a few will fit in my operating window. I do not have any SE experience. I think the slants blade manipulation puts it in that barn. I’ll be looking forward to Mike’s comparison with SE’s. He has a Lo Storto incoming.

Saw the invoice. Looking forward to both of your evaluations.

The redoing without reapplying lather! Some seek soaps and creams with preternatural amounts of residual slickness and you let spaces in the comb accomplish the same. Gotcha! Too bad the Yaqi Mellon doesn’t have Fatip levels of blade exposure.
In my first few months of DE I brought a pre shave into my shave. In truth most of the soaps I’ve used have been more than adequate for glide and residue glide. It is probably more a confidence booster or security blanket. I’m just using a glycerin hand soap right now. My next shave with Vitos certainly does not need any help. I’ve hand lathered the brush and soap and it is all top tier. I will still smear on a little pre-shave. The Mellon is a beautiful razor. Without having used any of the top pick starter razors I would put the Mellon against any of them. It is a very smooth mild razor. DFS is the most it can deliver. Every BBS shave I got with it I buffed my way to kingdom come. With comfort of course, that’s what makes it so nice. I parted with it because of efficiency.

Currently still unable to wrap my head around it. Your photos concur with your description and I still am wary.
I understand your reticence. For the longest time I wouldn’t go for an open comb they just plain looked vicious to me. That was while I was playing around with two slants. I guess it’s perspective.
The early buzz on Lo Storto piqued my interest. When I heard it was a slant OC based on the Grande. Magnetism kicked in.

Thank you. The postal service suggests an order with a bottle of witch hazel and aloe (and MENTHOL) should soon be here. If it helps with irritation, that is best. If not, it’ll still be cool.
My pre and post shave products have increased 200% percent from carts. I hadn’t ever heard of or knew what Hyaluronic acid was. Anything that promotes skin health and healing comfort is worth a try.

Fatip makes great razors at great prices. The also have Joris and Plisson razors if great prices aren’t your thing.

My GEM Micromatics and Gillette Post-War Tech all cost less than my nickel-plated Fatip Grande. The Micromatics are in the same league. The Tech is awesome if I don’t shave solely ATG.

It bugs me that other, modern razors I think would be great to own and use more expensive and most possibly less efficient than the Fatip Lo Storto Originale.
The Grande‘s specific dimensions, weight, and balance are a large part of the magic for me. The Piccolo I recently received having a strong Fatip resemblance is still like the fat cousin. The extra six grams in weight may as well be six pounds. The smaller diameter solid brass handle as opposed to the hollow Grandes felt like a rock. I will shave with it sometime in the future. It isn’t in any queue right now.

When I had my eleven varied razors all excellent razors. They all delivered BBS shaves of different comfort levels. Once the open combs out performed the solid bars it was easy to dump the solid bars. At that point I thought the Grande would be beat out by the GCOC.068 and the Mellon. The following shaves were considerably different. Each time I used the Grande it excelled so hard in its performance it was a no brainer. The 68 and the Mellon were slowing me down. I had to dump them. When I put a Feather in the Grande it was like strapping on a couple of after burners. The dynamics of the Grande fits my shave style and many other gents perfectly. Lo Storto is the same razor on steroids because of blade rigidity. I know it’s better I just don’t know how much. Mike will tell us if it can ring any SE bells. I’m very relaxed and content just dealing with Fatip’s. Stronger focus fewer complications.

Just watched Mantic59’s video. Thank you. I think I can make that work for ATG goodness. Trying to get to 96 hours will be even tougher.
Not able to disagree with his statement one bit. Only wish I could rush the learning experience without just learning impatience makes irritation worse.
It is just a matter of muscle memory being established and the shave automatically improves in efficiency and speed together. I love it when things are on automatic.

Minoxidil. Not a recommendation.
I am adjusting to my new schedule and also enjoying improved comfort with the change.

A wet lightpost is a risk, but it’s still not a Nacet with 86 previous shaves on it.
Yes and the gator 🐊 he does look menacing. Synonymous with bite. Fair warning.

Slowing oxidation on steel is almost universally good and you got some use from your existing stock. Win-win I think.
Slowing oxidation will speed up the blade even if I can’t measure it. It’s happening in my head.

While still early days, I’ve seen a lot fewer Lo Storto razors on sale than, say, Tatara Masamune Nodachi razors, so that’s a good sign.
I noticed one on BST the other day, would be surprised if it is lasted a day. When I put my razors on BST the popular ones were gone in a day. Such an excellent resource.

An open comb Tatara Masamune Nodachi is one of the razors I think I’d like more than a Fatip Lo Storto Originale.
[/QUOTE]
There is only one way to find out. Do you have shelf space for two?

Saw the invoice. Looking forward to both of your evaluations.
Just when I thought I was free and had The One. They pulled me back in😁

Attachments

• D3732AB6-3656-453A-987D-304839CA67A3.jpeg
    D3732AB6-3656-453A-987D-304839CA67A3.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 4
  • 712D70CF-FDFC-4898-9E8D-21CE4C5A5304.jpeg
    712D70CF-FDFC-4898-9E8D-21CE4C5A5304.jpeg
    719 KB · Views: 5
  • 4A86FA6D-9CE2-481A-99F4-550B50A918AA.jpeg
    4A86FA6D-9CE2-481A-99F4-550B50A918AA.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I do not have any SE experience. I think the slants blade manipulation puts it in that barn. I’ll be looking forward to Mike’s comparison with SE’s. He has a Lo Storto incoming.

In a standard three pass shave, my Grande a fresh Feather and Cella Bio are so close to my MMOC/PTFE/ with any soap or cream, I'm not sure I could tell the shaves apart until the 12 hour mark. Comfort wise, theres nothing between them, but thats a very limited widow of products for my best Grande shaves.

Single pass ATG, its a no contest. The MMOC is a superior tool. The difference is entirely in the blade thickness as far as I'm concerned. PTFE's, to my own measurements, are .0085" thick. More than twice as thick as the typical DE blade.

In a standard three pass shave, my Grande a fresh Feather and Cella Bio are so close to my MMOC/PTFE/ with any soap or cream, I'm not sure I could tell the shaves apart until the 12 hour mark. Comfort wise, theres nothing between them, but thats a very limited widow of products for my best Grande shaves.

Single pass ATG, its a no contest. The MMOC is a superior tool. The difference is entirely in the blade thickness as far as I'm concerned. PTFE's, to my own measurements, are .0085" thick. More than twice as thick as the typical DE blade.
Have you used any slants along the way Mike? Which blade will go in for Lo Storto‘s Inaugural?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Have you used any slants along the way Mike? Which blade will go in for Lo Storto‘s Inaugural?

I havent used any slants. I wasnt really sold on the idea of them but we shall see...

Derby Extra. The first blade I always use and a standard for me.

Mike the excitement and buzz generated for Lo Storto. Is it higher than other razor introductions or am I just too excited. I know I’m biased and that clouds the vision.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mike the excitement and buzz generated for Lo Storto. Is it higher than other razor introductions or am I just too excited. I know I’m biased and that clouds the vision.

I blame the voices in my head. Mostly @Raven Koenes, @Chan Eil Whiskers and also @Cal's smug silent grin but not only them. All of them in that thread that helped me part with my money! Its everyones fault! The truth however, really is...

Tuesday July 28
Ten minute hot shower
SHAVE #22
Lo Storto (first use)
Voskhod (1)
Omega Jade- 011842 - 27mmx52mm (First use)
Pre-Shave - Wickham Gentle Glycerine Face Soap Cashmere
Vitos Extra Super Coco (first use)
Osma Alum Block
T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel
Hyaluranoic Acid
Bull Dog Skin Care Moisturizer
Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic

My First Year
Five days. I will have to start calling it 120 hrs., doesn’t sound as long. A long time between shaves. Combination skin recovery and nice whisker length for an ATG Single Pass shave. Very much the largest improvement to my shave plan. This is the last shave of my first year of DE Shaving. What a trip. The products and razors I got to use have been excellent. My last few months exclusively using The Fatip Gold Grande. My shave style morphed along with technique improved strokes. I conquered the elusive Feather blade. I knotted a few brushes with more in the queue. If that wasn’t enough I got to meet some very fine gentlemen with deep experience and good advice helping me with struggles along the way. Thank you Badger and Blade members for helping me achieve so much in a very short time. My skin has never been healthier. 😁

The Brush
The Omega Jade is one of the sweetheart brushes in the community. I’ve wanted to try this brush for awhile. I have broken in this fine boar to an entry level comfort for my skin. My last hand lathering session and I could feel this brush is ready to go. The 27mm knot I would describe as medium density and the 52mm loft will definitely deliver nice scrub most likely a soft medium. The handle is a tad smaller than I would prefer. I have found that any brush with good operating dynamics usually makes the handle disappear in use. I suspect the Jade will be that way. I will report performance after the second shave of this three shave cycle in five days or 120 hrs.

The Soap
Membership has its privileges. Just observe the old timers and see what they are using. If they like something a lot you need to try it. Vitos hand lathering session was a wow. Looking forward to shaving with Vitos Extra Super Cocco. It also needed to be an Italian soap for an Italian razor debut.

The Razor
All my stainless razors were sold. They were excellent razors. They did not suit my shave style. It wasn’t personal The Fatip Gold Grande is that much better. Grande loaded with a Feather 1st use will give me a BBS+ shave with a minimum number of strokes. The Bomb. I love my Gold Grande. Just when I thought I was out....
Lo Storto the slant. Open comb looks like, feels like and is .4 grams lighter than the Grande. It is the Grande with a twist. In my hand it feels the same as the Gold Grande. I’ve used two slants earlier in the year. They were efficient. Even mild slants have that distinction. Slants manipulate the blade to increase blade rigidity. Rigid blades cut better. I don’t know all the technical stuff. Side by each you can see a little wave in both sides of the blade. Slant shavers say use them just like a normal razor and that’s the way the previous slants worked for me. The question. Can Lo Storto with the advantage of more blade rigidity shave better than the Grande? In my mind to be fair, Lo Storto is loaded with my most familiar blade Voskhod. If it shaves more efficiently than Grande/Feather. It will be a sad and a happy day for me.

The Shave
New brush, new lather, new razor. What could possibly go wrong? Nothing because they are all above average products. So I did get an above average BBS almost plus shave. The first stroke of a familiar blade felt very unfamiliar. There is no doubt about blade edge, I would call it very distinct. The twist in the handle I felt for half the face shave and then I couldn’t feel it, much like the Grande. The head felt heavier than the Grande. I weighed both heads after the shave. Lo Storto is .1gram heavier, the weight of a coffee bean. Obviously I can not feel that weight difference. The head looks heavier so I thought it felt heavier. That is my optical illusion with the slant. The .4 gram difference in over all weight I cannot feel either. The Voskhod did not feel like the blade I’m used to. The edge presence and they way it cut. The Voskhod felt much like the Feather and not quite as Smooth as the Voskhod in the Grande. I will put the efficiency as good as the Feather because the shave was. Lo Storto was easy enough to find the angle on either steep or shallow. It felt better steep angle I don’t know why. I prefer more shallow angle on my head shave but used more steep strokes they seemed to feel better this shave. I don’t hear or feel blade resonance with too many strokes, but it does come up for a few strokes here and there. The Voskhod resonance was totally different in Lo Storto. A higher, brighter sound and feel to what I am accustomed to in the Grande.

First impression Lo Storto is most definitely more efficient than the Grande. I’m biting my lip but it is smoother than the Grande. The neck shave my most sensitive areas were smoother with minimal buffing required. Very minimal buffing required anywhere even the swirls on the back of my head. I was more conservative with first use and that is why the Voskhod was a bit less shave than the Feather in the Grande. The Voskhod did not feel as smooth in the Lo Storto as it does in the Grande. Shockingly close and the second shave will reveal a better look. The angles are in a slightly different place than what I’m used to with the Grande. I think that is why the shallow strokes did not feel dialled in. I will be more familiar and less conservative with the next use.

The Jade is an excellent brush a tad smaller than I like on the head shave, not a criticism a preference. I will report and measure the brush after the second Shave.
Vitos is something else. The available glide for follow up wet strokes, the best I’ve had. This is by far the easiest lather I’ve used. It wasn’t difficult to hydrate up or down and change lather consistency anytime with very little fuss. This was with a new boar brush. I will be looking forward to using a badger with Vitos and I know it will be sublime. Great post shave skin comfort. I will go without out the pre shave next shave and that’s a big step for me.

Overall if you like Fatip, open comb and chrome (no gold available) you will love this razor. I do.

Attachments

• 197A13B2-CD82-423F-B2E2-C2AEDE5F5144.jpeg
    197A13B2-CD82-423F-B2E2-C2AEDE5F5144.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 757DA9BF-4D96-42C2-AC8C-0078A0412D80.jpeg
    757DA9BF-4D96-42C2-AC8C-0078A0412D80.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 5
  • D094F478-419D-4F5D-9581-6BCDF3AE3878.jpeg
    D094F478-419D-4F5D-9581-6BCDF3AE3878.jpeg
    724.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 1C5640DD-3A4D-4776-884A-7B4B32839196.jpeg
    1C5640DD-3A4D-4776-884A-7B4B32839196.jpeg