What's new

Future and the like

Evening all,

I wanted to ask the community, are there people who simply do not get on with the Merkur Futur or similar copies?

I have used both a Merkur and a Ming Shi 2000s and the head shape seems to make it impossible on my face to get a good angle, especially on my neck and under my nose. I’ve tried Gillette Nacet, Gillette 7 o’clock sharpedge, Voskhod and Wilkinson sword and none of them seem to make a difference and neither does the setting it always pulls. I just never seem to get a decent shave.

Anyone heard of, or had similar?

For years I've seen where there are two camps of shavers when it comes to the Merkur Futur--those that hate it, and those that love it. I recently took the plunge and hoped that I would find myself in the latter camp. This morning I shaved for the first time with the Futur and a German Wilkinson blade on setting 1 and got a pretty amazing shave. No nicks, no irritation, no alum sting. It is huge, and it took some adaptation to get under my nose, but it was no more difficult than shaving under there with a GEM single edge razor.

I saw that you are a fairly new DE razor. Your technique may not have developed to the point it needs to be to shave effectively with the Futur.

I have issues with the amount of exposed blade on a futur. As a head shaver I generally shave blind on the back of my head, but on two occasions I've sliced an earlobe either bringing the razor to the front or moving it to the back. Yes, it's carelessness on my part, but I've never forgiven Merkur or their Futur.

Never tried the Future. But tried the Qshave and the Mingshi and every time I get a fantastic shave except on the area under my nose. Many times, many angles, tried everything and just never get it right. Life's too short for that and eventually I sold the razors. That and because my Tech gives me fantastic shaves and without problems in any area.
After that try, never considered the Futur again.

Enviado desde mi 5010G mediante Tapatalk

I like the Merkur Futur VERY much. It is an aggressive razor. I have a tough beard. But I use a low setting of 1.5 and get CLOSE and COMFORTABLE shaves. I don't think I have ever nicked myself. And I use the much maligned Merkur blades in my Futur (and in my Vision 2000).

I have no problem shaving under my snout. I primarily use horizontal passes in both directions, and passes angled at a 45 degree angle, angled down toward the center of my face.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
The Futur is just too big for me. Such a large head... Can't imagine how some people are shaving with it. Even Rockwell is a tad too big for my taste, although manageable.

I 've had the futur for a couple of years now and as I guess others do as well, I took it apart and re assembled it.
On doing so I reversed the middle plate and I hated all subsequent shaves. A few days ago someone ponted out that this mighr be the case. I took it apart again, reversed the middle plate and upon shaving it was a different razor altogether. Now I love it with a polsilver set at 6, although I can shave equally well in 4 or 5.

I use to dislike the way my Futur shaved. It felt like it was scraping rather than slicing through the hair. I would only use it a few times a year, but I love the look of it. Recently I discovered that my angle was not really good when using most of my de razors. It was too steep. After I figured this out and corrected it, I get a pretty smooth feeling shave from the Futur. It is always a very close shave and feels smooth to the touch afterwards. I'm glad I can use it more often because I think it is a great razor. I use mine on 1.5 or 2 for all three passes.

I was never impressed with the Futur and the clones. It is way too big and the dial mechanism requires you to hold the head which is not a good thing if you are changing settings between passes and have wet hands. It is also off balanced. Shave is good, however I prefer the Progress and the ones cloned from that design such as the Variant.

Overall, I prefer a light compact thin head like the Gillette OT, New and Tech clones.

I am a big Fan of the Merkur Futur
Been using it off and on for over a
Year now it is by far the smoothest
Feeling razor I've used and set on 1.5
Or 2.0 it gives me the closest shave
Ever and it doesn't matter which blade
I use , I also have one of the clones and
It gives a comparable shave when set on
2.5 or 3 , they both feel great but shave
and feel completely different and the
Optimal shaving angle is also different.

I use to dislike the way my Futur shaved. It felt like it was scraping rather than slicing through the hair. I would only use it a few times a year, but I love the look of it. Recently I discovered that my angle was not really good when using most of my de razors. It was too steep. After I figured this out and corrected it, I get a pretty smooth feeling shave from the Futur. It is always a very close shave and feels smooth to the touch afterwards. I'm glad I can use it more often because I think it is a great razor. I use mine on 1.5 or 2 for all three passes.
In my experience all of my razors work
Best when I use the shallowest angle
That the razor can handle.

The Futur is just too big for me. Such a large head... Can't imagine how some people are shaving with it. Even Rockwell is a tad too big for my taste, although manageable.

I used to think the Futur's head was too big. But I have come to be able to use it quite well whereas I previously thought I could not use it with precision under the nose. I love the overall heft and shape of it.

Top Bottom