What's new

Fromm Hair Shaper. Thoughts?

I used a Sally's gift card to obtain the $7.99 Fromm Hair Shaper, model 107. Here are my initial thoughts. I'd like to know yours.

It comes with one blade, which was barely sharp enough to shave hair. Although the Fromm is made in China, the blade says it's made in Japan. It stropped to a nice edge with minimal effort.

The entire finger rest and pivot area are made of plastic. I felt some flex while stropping, so I'm guessing this will break in time.

The guard is fine, but I'll never use it. Except to push the blade all the way in.

The blade "release" button sticks a lot, and no amount of lube or back-and-forth is smoothing it out.

It's smaller than any other straight razor or shavette I've ever used, but it's workable.

I tried a standard single-edge razor blade in it. The kind you see used as a paint scraper, but for hair. No fit. Blade's top is too wide.

Overall I'm satisfied. I'll return it if it breaks within 30 days. I'll spend the next $7.99 on a Gold Dollar, but this will work.

To add:
The guard is 1/4" from the edge of the blade to the tips of the guard's teeth.
The guard slides onto the front, and can be used on either the left or right side of the blade. In cutting, it doesn't matter which side.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Here are my initial thoughts. I'd like to know yours.

...one blade...barely sharp

...made of plastic....felt some flex while stropping...this will break

...guard is fine, but I'll never use it

...blade "release" button sticks

...smaller than any other straight razor or shavette I've ever used

...I tried a standard single-edge razor blade in it...No fit.

Overall I'm satisfied.

My thoughts: I don't think I'm going to try one of those!

Just out of curiosity, what would make you DIS-satisfied? Not criticizing; honestly curious. That seems like a pretty negative review, but maybe you mean, "It's not bad for the price?"

O.H.

My thoughts: I don't think I'm going to try one of those!

Just out of curiosity, what would make you DIS-satisfied? Not criticizing; honestly curious. That seems like a pretty negative review, but maybe you mean, "It's not bad for the price?"

O.H.
Agreed. For $7.99 it's not bad for the price. If it lasts longer than the 30-day return period, I'll get spare blades for it.
If it doesn't, then I'll be dissatisfied. I'll return it and use the store credit for some Clubman aftershave.

On the plus side, the store did have a few kamisori-style razors in the $30 range. But, umm... those same razors are online for $15-$20.

I set my expectations pretty low so I'm never disappointed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom