What's new

From DX to bandaid in one slash

I just had my my inaugural shave with my new Feather 😬

IMG_1660.jpeg

And it went great! There is definitely more blade exposure than the others, but that allows shallower angles.
Hat tip to @Euro_Lander for the title.

I just had my my inaugural shave with my new Feather 😬

View attachment 1369302

And it went great! There is definitely more blade exposure than the others, but that allows shallower angles.
Hat tip to @Euro_Lander for the title.
I more interested in what the plastic surgeon has to say !

If you zoom in you'll see bl@@d on the proguard blade.

And his new thread will be titled : From plastic surgeon to Bosco ward asap

lol.jpg

Last edited:
This is your fault for encouraging me. :crazy:

The doctor said the cuts were clean enough not to leave any scars, but I had a visit from a different "nurse" after trying to explain that I wasn't trying to intentionally hurt myself. :a15:
Your learning the hard way.

No pain no gain ! 🥳

In Euro-land it's price is too expensive $ 323.75 U.S.

Importing is out of the question - customs would make you pay more than the local price with their taxes and processing fees etc.

My clone Kai Captain kamisori is as aggressive but only cost around $ 15 U.S.

Attachments

• dx.jpg
    dx.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 2
Alright I have had a good laugh, the gig is up. :001_tt2:

I got carried away with the red marker pen, I was afraid the first photo I did wasn't enough. :lol:

The real review(boring):

After receiving the replacement razor for the SR that I sent back, I checked the blade clamping and easily slid the used Pro Guard in. It immediately dropped into position without any worry.

I laid the the razor on my face, without any prep, to see when it will start grabbing hairs. With the SR, I could whirl around my face with a blade loaded without it cutting anything. The narrower shape of the DX combine with 0.2mm extra exposure is just enough for me! I can plink off rogue hairs with a dry face without the blade contacting my skin. However, I can no longer drag the spine any real distance without cutting hair.

So I did my usual prep routine and made my lather. As is my custom, I did two passes divided into three zones; left, right, neck. I need to start doing the neck first apparently, but not because anything went wrong. Anyway I am still working on the optimal places to stretch from so I don't have to keep repeating areas that I shaved incompletely. I do two across the grain passes on the left then the right, no need for with the grain. I start with the razor head facing up and the switch to facing down. Once I am in position, each pass is incredibly efficient. It's really something how much faster than a safety razor this is because as I work my way across I check to see if I missed anything and never have to go back over an area. I am also not trying to remove too much at one time. That's where the guarded blade comes into play for me, not to prevent cuts. I already know from past experience that the gaps in between the guards are large on this blade and will not prevent nicks. I finished up my left and right and moved on to the neck area. For me this is S to N then N to S. I am able to lay the blade completely flat, while tilt my head back, on the S to N pass and just plink off the top of the hairs and force the reluctant ones to stand at attention. On the N to S pass, I am getting tired, I commit and do a short fast scooping motion. I re-lather as a precaution several times and run the blade over at different angle to check if I missed anything. And done!

The Feather Artist Club DX is my grail razor, it is exactly the experience I was expecting when I went from Artist Club safety razor to kamisori straight. The SR is a fine razor, along with the similar Kai. But for ultimate maneuverability, you are getting more when you spend more. I did not get the closest shave of my life, nor of the week. I wasn't trying to or I wouldn't have used the guarded blade and I would have done a third pass. What I aimed for was removing hair in trouble spots with the least amount of irritation possible. Every single safety razor requires multiple passes to get ahold of those hairs except when I use the Super Blade. The one complaint I hear come up is suction, the razor being prone to sticking to the face. Not only did I not have this problem, I would say this razor is not inherently prone to it. Feather says the surface is hand finished, it looks more like a machine finish not polished. The feel on the face is just great, the razor disappears feeling wise. I will say, I can see how this could not only intimidate a newer shaver, but actually cause injury. However, I am prone to muscle twitches that I can't control or predict. I can't use a regular straight because having the scales sticking up creates a pendulum motion if I twitch. I have learned to use a different muscle to pull away immediately, but I am not comfortable using a standard straight. With the kamisori, the handle is inline with the edge and therefore the amount of movement is far less. In fact, I am actually able to keep the razor on my face while allowing my jerking hand to rotate. My only possible next level is a Western grind kamisori, but I am too busy enjoying this even start looking.

Alright I have had a good laugh, the gig is up. :001_tt2:

I got carried away with the red marker pen, I was afraid the first photo I did wasn't enough. :lol:

The real review(boring):

After receiving the replacement razor for the SR that I sent back, I checked the blade clamping and easily slid the used Pro Guard in. It immediately dropped into position without any worry.

I laid the the razor on my face, without any prep, to see when it will start grabbing hairs. With the SR, I could whirl around my face with a blade loaded without it cutting anything. The narrower shape of the DX combine with 0.2mm extra exposure is just enough for me! I can plink off rogue hairs with a dry face without the blade contacting my skin. However, I can no longer drag the spine any real distance without cutting hair.

So I did my usual prep routine and made my lather. As is my custom, I did two passes divided into three zones; left, right, neck. I need to start doing the neck first apparently, but not because anything went wrong. Anyway I am still working on the optimal places to stretch from so I don't have to keep repeating areas that I shaved incompletely. I do two across the grain passes on the left then the right, no need for with the grain. I start with the razor head facing up and the switch to facing down. Once I am in position, each pass is incredibly efficient. It's really something how much faster than a safety razor this is because as I work my way across I check to see if I missed anything and never have to go back over an area. I am also not trying to remove too much at one time. That's where the guarded blade comes into play for me, not to prevent cuts. I already know from past experience that the gaps in between the guards are large on this blade and will not prevent nicks. I finished up my left and right and moved on to the neck area. For me this is S to N then N to S. I am able to lay the blade completely flat, while tilt my head back, on the S to N pass and just plink off the top of the hairs and force the reluctant ones to stand at attention. On the N to S pass, I am getting tired, I commit and do a short fast scooping motion. I re-lather as a precaution several times and run the blade over at different angle to check if I missed anything. And done!

The Feather Artist Club DX is my grail razor, it is exactly the experience I was expecting when I went from Artist Club safety razor to kamisori straight. The SR is a fine razor, along with the similar Kai. But for ultimate maneuverability, you are getting more when you spend more. I did not get the closest shave of my life, nor of the week. I wasn't trying to or I wouldn't have used the guarded blade and I would have done a third pass. What I aimed for was removing hair in trouble spots with the least amount of irritation possible. Every single safety razor requires multiple passes to get ahold of those hairs except when I use the Super Blade. The one complaint I hear come up is suction, the razor being prone to sticking to the face. Not only did I not have this problem, I would say this razor is not inherently prone to it. Feather says the surface is hand finished, it looks more like a machine finish not polished. The feel on the face is just great, the razor disappears feeling wise. I will say, I can see how this could not only intimidate a newer shaver, but actually cause injury. However, I am prone to muscle twitches that I can't control or predict. I can't use a regular straight because having the scales sticking up creates a pendulum motion if I twitch. I have learned to use a different muscle to pull away immediately, but I am not comfortable using a standard straight. With the kamisori, the handle is inline with the edge and therefore the amount of movement is far less. In fact, I am actually able to keep the razor on my face while allowing my jerking hand to rotate. My only possible next level is a Western grind kamisori, but I am too busy enjoying this even start looking.
Yes, those evenly spaced red marks were the give away.

Just let you believe I was buying your bs Merchant antics 😜🤣

Finally, I would like to declare a truce, or a cease in hostilities, with @Euro_Lander

You have had fun poking me about getting sliced and in return I have given you a bad time about not buying the most expensive razor. I have understood from the beginning how variable getting products in Europe can be. I know you have a lot of experience from using the cheaper razors that I do not have. Any of the Feathers have got to be an improvement and hope you continue to enjoy your SR razor and don't wind up in the BOSC ward.

PS Try a Super Blade in that bad boy! :devil:

Finally, I would like to declare a truce, or a cease in hostilities, with @Euro_Lander

You have had fun poking me about getting sliced and in return I have given you a bad time about not buying the most expensive razor. I have understood from the beginning how variable getting products in Europe can be. I know you have a lot of experience from using the cheaper razors that I do not have. Any of the Feathers have got to be an improvement and hope you continue to enjoy your SR razor and don't wind up in the BOSC ward.

PS Try a Super Blade in that bad boy! :devil:
It's all in your mind my friend and you are prime material for the Bosc community.

The feather SR is great - price isn't all .

On a serious note:

I think, that the KAI captain excelia looks more bad @$$
I was going to say, if you are going to spend money that's the way to do it!
I was trying to find a carbon fibre one actually, but it turns out it was a limited edition.
If you prowl The Bay like I do, occasionally a Kai Luffy kamisori comes up. They sell so quick that if I even stop to think, it is gone. The price would be reasonable in Euros, it has the scalloped style head and it looks like a dagger! You will have to beat me to it though...

Top Bottom