What's new

Feather AC … DX vs RG. Personal thoughts.

I bought the Feather AC RG approximately sixteen years ago and it’s been a phenomenal straight razor all these years. The absolutely closest shaves I’ve ever experienced! With all due respect to my non disposable straight razor comrades, even though I use Japanese water stones for my kitchen and edc knives, I wanted to keep my shaving style as simple as possible.

Amazon recently had an incredible sale on the Feather DX razors, the pearl handle was $123.00 but I missed this. Then the wood model came out at $130.00 and I jumped on this! Was the lowest price I’d ever seen here in the U.S.

The DX is four grams, 58 with blade, heavier than the RG, 54. I weighed this only after I shaved with the DX. Smoother, even more comfortable shave than with the RG. Less effort too! Must have been the additional weight. I never thought the DX could be a better shave than the RG but in essence, it is!

Not to take anything away from the RG, it’s been a great razor all these years. I will take this with me when I travel here in the country via car. Jumping on the Wood DX at the low price was a positive decision. I could have gotten by with the RG for many years to come. The DX, however, is a very enlightening experience in disposable straight razor shaving.

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have not tried the RG but I have the wooden DX and it is the closest shaving razor I own. It rewards good technique but swiftly punishes poor technique or lack of attention. I find it works best with a wet lather, a very shallow angle, and very very light pressure. I have learned it is important not to be hesitant or fearful, and to place the blade on the skin while it is moving, as a still blade will surely cut me. Of course over confidence will have the same effect 😁 I do not use the Feather often enough to be truly relaxed when using it so when I do it is always a challenge; I enjoy it very much.

20220201_143125.jpg

I bought the Feather AC RG approximately sixteen years ago and it’s been a phenomenal straight razor all these years. The absolutely closest shaves I’ve ever experienced! With all due respect to my non disposable straight razor comrades, even though I use Japanese water stones for my kitchen and edc knives, I wanted to keep my shaving style as simple as possible.

Amazon recently had an incredible sale on the Feather DX razors, the pearl handle was $123.00 but I missed this. Then the wood model came out at $130.00 and I jumped on this! Was the lowest price I’d ever seen here in the U.S.

The DX is four grams, 58 with blade, heavier than the RG, 54. I weighed this only after I shaved with the DX. Smoother, even more comfortable shave than with the RG. Less effort too! Must have been the additional weight. I never thought the DX could be a better shave than the RG but in essence, it is!

Not to take anything away from the RG, it’s been a great razor all these years. I will take this with me when I travel here in the country via car. Jumping on the Wood DX at the low price was a positive decision. I could have gotten by with the RG for many years to come. The DX, however, is a very enlightening experience in disposable straight razor shaving.

View attachment 1750511

View attachment 1750512
Nice upgrade. All the Feather Artist Club razors shave well and one can really appreciate the RG lasting 16 years and still going strong. :thumbup:

I wonder if part of your shave experience was due to differences in the secondary bevel of the blade holder. I used my RG this weekend after a Chinese generic kamasori that I had been using dropped one of its holding pins and I thought to myself, why was I even bothering with the lightweight generic model that had weaker blade clamping pressure. The RG and DX are much nicer to use.

I have the SS and DX each in wood and resin, but discovered that with the recently introduced SR Feather really hit a home run.

The SR series seems to combine the lower price of the SS with the better feel and handling of the DX.
If I had to recommend a Feather AC to start with, it now would be the SR.

B.

I have owned an RG and currently own an SS and an SR. I have never tried a DX but I have several Kai Excelia that are similar in that they do not have lips on the edge. It is true that the SR is an intermediate solution between the SS and the DX. Recommending SR to start is a good option and SR could be one and only option for a veteran as well. I would say the same about the SS. Having said that, I believe that the DX is the point to reach, the TOP, the final destination. The same for the Excelia within the KAI family. For this reason I would recommend going directly for the DX. Is it more expensive than the SS? Yes, but at the end of the process you will end up with the SS and the DX. Better to buy the DX directly. The other tricky point is if you are a newbie, then it can be a dangerous tool. In that case I recommend starting with blades with Feather Proguard type protection. This is just my opinion and I mainly shave with a straight razor now, I have to say.

I have owned an RG and currently own an SS and an SR. I have never tried a DX but I have several Kai Excelia that are similar in that they do not have lips on the edge. It is true that the SR is an intermediate solution between the SS and the DX. Recommending SR to start is a good option and SR could be one and only option for a veteran as well. I would say the same about the SS. Having said that, I believe that the DX is the point to reach, the TOP, the final destination. The same for the Excelia within the KAI family. For this reason I would recommend going directly for the DX. Is it more expensive than the SS? Yes, but at the end of the process you will end up with the SS and the DX. Better to buy the DX directly. The other tricky point is if you are a newbie, then it can be a dangerous tool. In that case I recommend starting with blades with Feather Proguard type protection. This is just my opinion and I mainly shave with a straight razor now, I have to say.
Good point about using a guarded blade. When I first jumped into the shavette pool I tried using a standard blade, a Feather Professional. Having little idea of technique I drew a lot of blood. That initial experience scared me away from shavettes for a while. Then I found out about guarded blades and tried again using the Kai Protouch MG. Best shaves I've ever had and safe enough that you can make mistakes and survive unscathed. Now with my technique much improved I can handle a standard blade again.

Top Bottom