What's new

Found another hone. Need help

My assessment is based on my experience having seen and tested several of them. kcb sent it to me to evaluate, said evaluation was made without any interest. Sending it to someone else may yield a different assessment and that's fine, it just won't change mine.

That's fine, but I'm talking about the geographical assignation. It may look and hone the way it does, I'm just interested in the Vosges connection. No one seems to be able to really prove this.

Alan as been talked often about this issue up to date it seems to be there is no proper aprovement how the relation to the Vosges has been created....to be critical i must say nobody really answered with any confirmed or justified statement, thats how it looks for me...

The only reference was done by Henk and i hope i did interpret this right, with a general overview of some carriers/quarries in the Vosges without talking about a certain stone...

http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/92323-french-hones-3.html

Also Piet referred to france but up to date without telling further more of his source of information...here...see Post 5. Here is also a short part of the history about how the Term brown Thuringian (not Escher) was created

http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/84357-brown-thuringian.html

Some more History about:
http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/65267-eschers-brown-2.html

Last edited:
My assessment is based on my experience having seen and tested several of them. kcb sent it to me to evaluate, said evaluation was made without any interest. Sending it to someone else may yield a different assessment and that's fine, it just won't change mine.

Nelson, any information you can give about the proper use of this stone (i mean number of strokes, weight which should be used when honing, etc...) I use mine with oil, as you wrote HHT4+ is quite impressive, i did not get this done up to date...

Alan as been talked often about this issue up to date it seems to be there is no proper aprovement how the relation to the Vosges has been created....to be critical i must say nobody really answered with any confirmed or justified statement, thats how it looks for me...

The only reference was done by Henk and i hope i did interpret this right, with a general overview of some carriers/quarries in the Vosges without talking about a certain stone...

http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/92323-french-hones-3.html

Also Piet referred to france but up to date without telling further more of his source of information...here...see Post 5. Here is also a short part of the history about how the Term brown Thuringian (not Escher) was created

http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/84357-brown-thuringian.html

Some more History about:
http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/65267-eschers-brown-2.html

Thanks Sebastian. That list of quarry locations in the first link would appear to be about as close as we get, although the source is not mentioned. The video is allegedly taken on the mountain behind my sister-in-law's house, although determining the precise location is like finding a needle in a haystack. Guess I won't be sure until I pull one up from the ground there. As for the Lune stones, I believe Henk thinks they're from the Pyrenees. They seem different to the purple-red stone with green that is the subject here.

D,

This hone is a solid finisher, using it in any other fashion would be a complete waste of time IMO.

Before I put a blade to it I thought it might feel like most CFs I've honed on but this was not the case, this hone has considerably less feedback than the CF.

On the CMon and W&B I used very light pressure as I normally would at the finishing stage of any progression. With slurry, I used more pressure but nothing close to heavy, I never use heavy pressure at any point of any progression, I prefer go to lower grits if I need to correct an issue or remove more metal.

I'm not a stroke counter but if I had to guess I'd say I did a combination of 75-80 half strokes, X-strokes, circles, Gamma boomerang strokes etc.

With slurry I did +/- 40 circles followed by 10 X-strokes.

I used water only throughout, I didn't want to take the liberty of using oil after kcb painstakingly lapped it flat and clean.

I took both the CMon and W&B up to Mejiro on my Nakayama Asagi before I finished on this hone. On the Dovo I used to test it with slurry I set the bevel with a Chosera 1K followed by a Norton 4K. After four dilutions on this hone it was at about HHT 3. I didn't finish it so I could compare it to the CMon and W&B.

The proof is in the shave. I just finished shaving with the CMon and the results are stellar, the razor is very smooth yet aggressive. After shaving almost exclusively off of Japanese natural edges this was a very pleasant change, excellent finisher.

Not really.. It's often used to describe the best de blades. Feathers for instance aren't the smoothest, but they have that absolute sharpness, while Gillette blues are smooth yet have sharpness almost on par with the feather. Dorco is like shaving with a jagged piece from an aluminum can so it is neither smooth or sharp. The best edges don't irritate, yet they still have the raw stopping power extreme sharpness provides.

Don't most people use smooth and aggressive as antonyms when describing shaving edges?

More like smooth and harsh as antonyms.
There are lots of examples of smooth and aggressive razors like the FaTip and ER 1924, and it is certainly what I aim for in my edges.

Also it is possible for an edge to be too smooth for some people's tastes, just as some prefer a bit of scritch in their brushes.

To Discuss and talk about a little more about these stones i will throw in an interesting Razorandstone.com thread were three other nearly identical stones were posted, as the origin of the Vosges Stones is still not clear in my point of view there is another "Name" to throw in in named here "American Slate"....

http://www.razorandstone.com/showthread.php?1434-Mystery-Stone-ID

as there is no discussion in this thread about performance i would be interested how these three examples did perfom....

@Bayamontate:
Thanks for your explanations about how you use the stone !!!

Last edited:
I forgot to note how glassy the random black flecks in that hone feel. These seem very hard to come by and of great quality so if you find one, you are lucky.

I wish the person who owned this didn't dish and gouge both sides so badly. It would have been very interesting to lap both sides to see if density of green inclusions changed the properties.

Here a sideshot where you can see the glass like inclusion (greenish, to glassy blue)

proxy.php

It's a shame cameras seem to fall short at capturing the fine details in these stones. There is a lot going on visually one could look for.

As written before i did not really got out how to use it proper, i have to learn a bit more with it.....

I get quite nice shaves for me not comparable to a thuringian edge, HHT 4 is something i did not reach with this stone...

Top Bottom