What's new

Found another hone. Need help

Vosgienne under magnification. Sorry about the music, there was some annoying banter in the background so I picked some stock track of roughly the same length as the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this Hone in Redwing MN, it is a brown stone looks like composite maybe, the dark areas I believe are oil, but I have boiled it, lapped it, and the dark areas remain, I boiled the stone for about 15 min and there was no trace of any oil on the waters surface, the top has been lapped smooth and and feels about an 8k grit but I'm guessing at that. it measures 8x2x1 inches slurry when sanding is light beige. thanks for any suggestions,

$photo 1.jpg$photo 2.jpg$photo 3.jpg

Looks like a washita. They're plenty porous that you can lap them and still have oil-discoloration. A simple-green soak seems quite effective at getting them fairly close to what I imagine would represent their color at cutting.

Looks like a washita. They're plenty porous that you can lap them and still have oil-discoloration. A simple-green soak seems quite effective at getting them fairly close to what I imagine would represent their color at cutting.

thanks I will do that and post results

1+ to the Washita, but it could be a coarsee synthethic, but having the stone in hand you should see if its natural or men made...

I have been reading a bit on the Washita and some posts indicate that it is not that useful for a straight but is good for knives is that correct or can it be used in the sharpening of a straight razor?

It can be used. I don't like it. The edge tends to be a bit too coarse to shave and a bit too toothy to work well as a progression hone. I've done it a bit, but the problem is that even though the edge cuts as well off the Washita as off my DMT 8k, it takes longer to clean up on later hones than coming off my DMT 1.2k.

Some additionals of the second Vosges stone i cut a piece from the stone on the last End (0,8mm) quite Interesting is the green layer...like a flash going thru the stone. I also added some daylight pictures which resembles the coloration a bit better...

The cutted part:
proxy.php

The stone, interesting are the red/green inclusions and the bronze/brown sometimes a bit bronzemetallic look depending from light and angle..

proxy.php

proxy.php

I cut it by Hand *arrhh* it took me 15 min...but i used a Handsaw with a diamond string...very cheap this stuff (5€) and if you need something smal to cut (Slurry Stones) its a alternative...

The cut wasnt that clean i lapped with sandingpaper 600...

Got a third one at this stage iam uncertain if we talk about a Vosges Stone....its a type of a dark violet slate type....it was sold as a BBW but as i saw the surface it reminded me on the Vosges stones...

It has one indicator comparable to the other ones, these are the small black spots/dots which are visible on all three stones in a magnification of 10/20x...

So the first stone i got was light violet with green inclusions, the second had green and red inclusions in a more dark violet to brownish look (bronze when reflecting the light) the new one is a dark violet but only a small inclusion...

But the interesting thing was that this stone was delivered in a smal wooden Box comparable in size to the Goldfisch Stone or the Celebrated Water Hone. It was originally glued into to box, so i am shure it was sold as it was and the box was not selfmade....

The stone has sawmarks, and i remembered that ive seen comparable ones somewhere...i checked my smal "La Lune" stone from F.G.B.C.. So it looks like that the sawmarks are near identical, shure that this has not really to be a big deal but its an interesting fact...

Here are the pics:

proxy.php

La Lune at the bottom, not the same material/stone:
proxy.php

Sawmarks:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom