What's new

foil vs rotary

I used the Braun Series 7 foil shaved for several years and believe it is the best electric shaver available. Tried a few Norelco rotary shavers and cheaper foil razors like Remington. Not one worked as well as the Braun Series 7. I was able to skip 3-4 day’s of not shaving and it had plenty of power to cut down my thick whiskers. I did become bored with using it and passed it on to my son. I may grab one again if I see a sale or rebate offer.

I got mine through Walmart.com about a month ago. It was on sale for like $135 (with the cleaning station and free shipping) plus a $35 mail in rebate from Braun. All said and done I'll spend around $100 for a series 7 wet/dry and cleaning station. Look around, with the huge push on the series 9 they are doing a ton of sales and rebates on the series 7. Supposedly the series 5 is the same cutting head and motor as the series 7 just less bells and whistles.

interesting reaction to the electric @KDM21 Would you say it's: "Like using a Feather AS-D2" or just a totally different 'bored with using it'? I think I understand your meaning. I found myself happily falling head over heels for wet shaving after discovering I had the time and interest. I'm just questioning, for myself, is it like the faithful day in day out boredom of a consistent great yet average wet shave, or, ?.

I find myself having to laugh; at least wet shaving, I'm making the soap lather and application. The rinse and ASL and all... But, I realize, now, with the Brauns you could be doing all that too! Now there's something I hadn't considered before...

/PS although, the mess which comes with wet shaving an electric and using the cleaning system... meh! not worth it unless I completely clean the razor head and cassette well & let it dry before running the system cleaning process.

interesting reaction to the electric @KDM21 Would you say it's: "Like using a Feather AS-D2" or just a totally different 'bored with using it'? I think I understand your meaning. I found myself happily falling head over heels for wet shaving after discovering I had the time and interest. I'm just questioning, for myself, is it like the faithful day in day out boredom of a consistent great yet average wet shave, or, ?.

I find myself having to laugh; at least wet shaving, I'm making the soap lather and application. The rinse and ASL and all... But, I realize, now, with the Brauns you could be doing all that too! Now there's something I hadn't considered before...
I was getting great results and they were easy to achieve, I guess there wasn’t a challenge or much skill needed using the Braun. But after coming back to DE wet shaving I see the hassle it brings with it. It feels like the next razor purchase will be the “one”. Now I just want good results in a short amount of time. The Gillette Guard does that for me.

Personally the foil worked better for me over the rotary style. I was able to get a closer shave. I went through a few rotary styles razors, then got my first foil and stopped searching as it worked well for me.

The Norelco rotary didn't really work for me. I really like the Braun Series 7, and if I weren't a bit of a DE hobbyist, I think that's what I would use on a daily basis. I know that it's quite a bit of cash outlay, and I wouldn't have taken the jump without trying it, but I had one passed on to me.

I used a Braun Series 7 for years, then I retired and didn't need to shave every day...so, I switched to blades. I've tried a number of DEs, Trac II, Mach 3, Fusion, and Atra. I never tried straights or SEs. As I've gotten older, my problem now is my neck...I have a number of folds and wrinkles in my neck that weren't there before, and since my beard grows in every direction on my neck, getting the whiskers in these folds is very difficult to do with a Braun...plus not shaving every day makes it even more difficult. So I gave away the Braun and concentrated on wet shaving.

Then recently, I got very sick, with some heart problems and back problems, and standing at the sink to shave was very difficult. So, I got a new Braun, but I still couldn't get a good shave on my neck unless I followed the Braun with a blade. That seemed silly to me, and it was difficult for me. So, I decided to try a Norelco, which was my dad's favorite. I bought a new 5700 series (not the top of the line, but a good one.) I got an acceptable shave on my cheeks, but I got a very good shave on my neck. Apparently the rotary action and the circle motion I used to shave did the trick...it got all the hairs. Not BBS, of course, but very acceptable.

I'm keeping my nice DEs, as a collection of sorts, but I'm going to be staying with the Norelco. I may have to shave more often, but I can do it sitting at the table, watching the news while I do it. Getting old isn't for sissies.

I used a Braun Series 7 for years, then I retired and didn't need to shave every day...so, I switched to blades. I've tried a number of DEs, Trac II, Mach 3, Fusion, and Atra. I never tried straights or SEs. As I've gotten older, my problem now is my neck...I have a number of folds and wrinkles in my neck that weren't there before, and since my beard grows in every direction on my neck, getting the whiskers in these folds is very difficult to do with a Braun...plus not shaving every day makes it even more difficult. So I gave away the Braun and concentrated on wet shaving.

Then recently, I got very sick, with some heart problems and back problems, and standing at the sink to shave was very difficult. So, I got a new Braun, but I still couldn't get a good shave on my neck unless I followed the Braun with a blade. That seemed silly to me, and it was difficult for me. So, I decided to try a Norelco, which was my dad's favorite. I bought a new 5700 series (not the top of the line, but a good one.) I got an acceptable shave on my cheeks, but I got a very good shave on my neck. Apparently the rotary action and the circle motion I used to shave did the trick...it got all the hairs. Not BBS, of course, but very acceptable.

I'm keeping my nice DEs, as a collection of sorts, but I'm going to be staying with the Norelco. I may have to shave more often, but I can do it sitting at the table, watching the news while I do it. Getting old isn't for sissies.
The 5700 is a great rotary shaver, I use mine during the cold winter months when I don't like wetshaving at 3am. If you use it daily and use a preshave I think you will end up with a smooth irritation free shave. Remember to stretch your skin to smooth it out and I think you will get all the hairs that grow in different directions, it works for me. I also can get a smooth shave from the Braun Series-7 when I use these methods.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

With my Braun 7 I've been running it mostly dry and this gets me a very close shave with no visible stubble and minor stubble felt when stroking my hand ATG in a few trouble spots, a perfectly acceptable shave for most days and no concern over bumps or ingrowns. If I want to take it that next step further (say date night for example) I'll apply a small amount of foam, gel, or lather to my face while it's still dry then run the braun over it again and this catches all of those little hairs to leave me with as near a BBS as I have ever been able to get without my neck looking like the surface of Mars a day later haha.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse with all my posts about this now but I sincerely love my Braun 7. It Is a quality precision tool that does exactly as advertised after you spend a couple weeks adjusting from a manual razor to proper electric form. I spent years using DEs and SEs and different soaps, creams, splashes... And I never found that much of an improvement in the horrible bumps and ingrowns I typically face. I kept blowing cash on more stuff and forcing myself to keep butchering my skin for nothing more then the 'cool factor' of using old school razors. I fully understand why they work for many people and can really make an improvement in the quality of shave for most. However, some people just shouldn't use a blade to shave... It's a proven medical fact. Some people have skin and hair combinations that will cause irritation from a blade shave no matter the circumstances. I firmly believe that I am one of those people, I could use a DE with a fresh sharp blade to shave only WTG with proper technique after several years of working on it and still get ingrowns (as well as a crappy shave because of my dense thick stubble).

I tried a few cheap electrics and they absolutely do not compare. For me, spending the money and switching to a quality electric shaver has been a literal life saver as well as has allowed me to achieve shaves closer then I ever thought possible with almost no fear of ingrowns.

The 5700 is a great rotary shaver, I use mine during the cold winter months when I don't like wetshaving at 3am. If you use it daily and use a preshave I think you will end up with a smooth irritation free shave. Remember to stretch your skin to smooth it out and I think you will get all the hairs that grow in different directions, it works for me. I also can get a smooth shave from the Braun Series-7 when I use these methods.

I've tried both the Williams Lectric Shave and Mennen Afta Pre-Electric lotion, and I like the Mennen much better. I'm still learning the Norelco, but so far I'm getting much better shaves on my neck than I did with the Braun. On my cheeks, the Braun shaved better, but the Norelco does okay there...and I'd much rather have a good shave on my neck because if I miss the hairs in the folds, my neck gets irritated.

No, no, it's not. And I'm thrilled to hear you've found something that works and gives you some comfort. There are days a good shave is the only "good" thing about that day.

With my Braun 7 I've been running it mostly dry and this gets me a very close shave with no visible stubble and minor stubble felt when stroking my hand ATG in a few trouble spots, a perfectly acceptable shave for most days and no concern over bumps or ingrowns. If I want to take it that next step further (say date night for example) I'll apply a small amount of foam, gel, or lather to my face while it's still dry then run the braun over it again and this catches all of those little hairs to leave me with as near a BBS as I have ever been able to get without my neck looking like the surface of Mars a day later haha.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse with all my posts about this now but I sincerely love my Braun 7. It Is a quality precision tool that does exactly as advertised after you spend a couple weeks adjusting from a manual razor to proper electric form. I spent years using DEs and SEs and different soaps, creams, splashes... And I never found that much of an improvement in the horrible bumps and ingrowns I typically face. I kept blowing cash on more stuff and forcing myself to keep butchering my skin for nothing more then the 'cool factor' of using old school razors. I fully understand why they work for many people and can really make an improvement in the quality of shave for most. However, some people just shouldn't use a blade to shave... It's a proven medical fact. Some people have skin and hair combinations that will cause irritation from a blade shave no matter the circumstances. I firmly believe that I am one of those people, I could use a DE with a fresh sharp blade to shave only WTG with proper technique after several years of working on it and still get ingrowns (as well as a crappy shave because of my dense thick stubble).

I tried a few cheap electrics and they absolutely do not compare. For me, spending the money and switching to a quality electric shaver has been a literal life saver as well as has allowed me to achieve shaves closer then I ever thought possible with almost no fear of ingrowns.

You've definitely left a great resource and experience for others to find and help support their interest in alternatives. Like you the Braun systems are just wonderful for me. And they are just part of what works for any one of us at any given time. Thanks for your posts!

I've tried both the Williams Lectric Shave and Mennen Afta Pre-Electric lotion, and I like the Mennen much better. I'm still learning the Norelco, but so far I'm getting much better shaves on my neck than I did with the Braun. On my cheeks, the Braun shaved better, but the Norelco does okay there...and I'd much rather have a good shave on my neck because if I miss the hairs in the folds, my neck gets irritated.
Have you tried a preshave powder stick?. Remington Facesaver Powder Sticks give me a better shave than the liquid preshaves.

Clayton

Have you tried a preshave powder stick?. Remington Facesaver Powder Sticks give me a better shave than the liquid preshaves.

Clayton

That one keeps coming up and is just about the only one I haven't tried. The only negatives I have read are it can be a little messy (simply apply over the sink and rinse out when done) and that the crystalline structure of the powder can dull your blades quicker. Do you have an experience/comment on using the face saver powder stick in relation to the longevity of your shaver's cutting head?

@Merle Thank you, I really appreciate that! I've been a member of this forum for 2 or 3 years now and lurked for many years prior to joining. While we have fun around here in some threads, the main mission of this community is to help each other and that is something I have been trying to put my focus on lately when I jump on the forum.

I've used the pre-electric shaves, the powders, and even shaved dry (Gillette's recommendation by the way), but I got my best electric shaves wet. I found that creams worked better for me than soaps for some reason with the electric razor. I mostly DE shave now because I found the maintenance of the electric to be too much trouble. I have Braun's cleaning stand but it is expensive to feed and manual cleaning leaves parts laying around until dry and thus vulnerable to damage.

I electric shaved for a while because for some reason I was constantly cutting myself with a DE and then I purchased a Merkur 34C and all of a sudden I could safely shave with a DE again. I guess I was hitherto shaving with the wrong razor for my hand and technique.

Live an learn. Electrics have their place and fans otherwise they wouldn't be made. I'm keeping my Braun though and am thinking I might keep it at the office for emergency touch-ups.

Clayton

From my limited experience I found I disliked the powders the most. A bit messy, sure, but I always felt it clogged the holes in the foil so it really needed extra cleaning. I can't say the powder gave me a better or worse shave than using the Williams preshave lotion. For me both gave a good shave though not great. However, I've had a few near great electric shaves using TOBS Jermyn cream.

FWIW, my electric is a Braun Series 9.

There are days a good shave is the only "good" thing about that day.

Coffee while shaving...the best part of the day!

No, I haven't...at our local upscale retail establishment (Walmart) I haven't seen it on the shelves. I do like the Mennen Afta, since I also use the Mennen Afta aftershave cream (the green label, which isn't sold in stores anymore, but my wife bought a case for me a few years back, and it will probably outlast me.)

You've given me a reason to say "the only TWO good things of the day..." since I separate them I get to increase the gooder's count! Thank you! (The world is twice as nice as I thought it was!)

No, I haven't...at our local upscale retail establishment (Walmart) I haven't seen it on the shelves. I do like the Mennen Afta, since I also use the Mennen Afta aftershave cream (the green label, which isn't sold in stores anymore, but my wife bought a case for me a few years back, and it will probably outlast me.)
For the preshave powder stick check out shavers.com, or amazon. I get mine from either of them.

Clayton

For the preshave powder stick check out shavers.com, or amazon. I get mine from either of them.

Clayton

A CVS near where I work usually has the powder stick in stock (even though it's on their website as online only) for around $5 or $6, I've been wanting to try it so maybe I'll swing by there today and check it out. Lately I've been only using 91% iso alcohol as a Pre-Electric with great results plus it's very cheap (less then $2 for 16oz). I usually shave after work around 6pm or so and I make beer for a living so my skin is very sweaty when I get home. The Iso helps remove oil so the shaver doesn't grab, helps my hair stand a bit more taught, and primarily cleans bacteria off my skin to prevent little pimples. I've also been thinking about trying Aqua Velva classic blue as an electric pre-shave, the menthol and alcohol will give the above benefits but to a higher extent and I find AV to be pretty high in it's glycerin cont which would act as a lubricant.

Over the past couple of days, I'm noticing an increasing irritation after shaving with the Norelco. I tried today to be very careful not to use any pressure, but I still got irritation. It got worse when I had to go out this afternoon for a doctor's appointment. It is very hot here (Texas) and as I perspired a bit walking from the parking lot into the building, my face began to really burn.

I'm about to decide I just don't need to shave at all...just go completely wild and wooly!

Over the past couple of days, I'm noticing an increasing irritation after shaving with the Norelco. I tried today to be very careful not to use any pressure, but I still got irritation. It got worse when I had to go out this afternoon for a doctor's appointment. It is very hot here (Texas) and as I perspired a bit walking from the parking lot into the building, my face began to really burn.

I'm about to decide I just don't need to shave at all...just go completely wild and wooly!

Florida here, I can relate. You have dry heat, I've got wet heat... I don't know which is worse haha. Have you tried using alum post shave? If your irritation is coming from sweating over shaved skin and not actually shaving itself then it's a bacterial issue and alum will solve it. Anytime I blade shave I have that issue, with my Braun 7 I do not and was able to stop using alum.

Top Bottom