What's new

foil vs rotary

I was just looking at it like the 'average guy' who buys a device like this vs multiblade cartridge razors, not as much from the point of view of a shaving hobbyist.
I see where you're coming from. It's a big investment, but I sure do like my Braun Series-7, and Series-9 shavers. I lucked out on the fact that they both were open box store returns that I got a good deal on. I didn't plan on getting the Series-9 but the low price was hard to say no to.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I see where you're coming from. It's a big investment, but I sure do like my Braun Series-7, and Series-9 shavers. I lucked out on the fact that they both were open box store returns that I got a good deal on. I didn't plan on getting the Series-9 but the low price was hard to say no to.

Clayton

Like how Amazon has the 9s for $199 and the 7s for $139 right now

I was just looking at it like the 'average guy' who buys a device like this vs multiblade cartridge razors, not as much from the point of view of a shaving hobbyist.
The replacement head for a Braun series 7 shaver is $30 at Amazon. I bought my shaver for $100. If I replace the head annually that’s $90. Obviously, there comes a time when replacing the shaver may make sense rather than buying another set of screens and cutters. For example I bought a Panasonic ES8193 shaver five years ago for around $70. Replacing the screens and cutters are nearly $50 and Panasonic recommends changing them annually. For another $20 I could replace the entire shaver. After nearly five years the cutters began to get dull and the battery wouldn’t hold a full charge. This time I switched to the Braun 7893s.

Last edited:
I tried polishing my Philips shaver's heads on a piece of glass combined with some plastic polish. It seems to have worked really well, the shaver is as good as new. I shaved half my face with it this morning and it delivered a decent shave with minimal irritation. The other half of my face I shaved with a DE, 1 1/2 passes, and it produced a shave that was about as close more or less, but with more irritation.

Last edited:
I tried polishing my Philips shaver's heads on a piece of glass combined with some plastic polish. It seems to have worked really well, the shaver is as good as new. I shaved half my face with it this morning and it delivered a decent shave with minimal irritation. The other half of my face I shaved with a DE, 1 1/2 passes, and it produced a shave that was about as close more or less, but with more irritation.
I assume you were polishing the rotating blades and not the caps which have the slots.

I still use my Braun, and Philips/Norelco Shavers. I use them a lot during the cold fall/winter mornings when I don't want to mess around with wetshaving at 5am. I rotate them in through the warmer months just so that they see usage and the batteries stay charged, and maintained. With proper shave prep Electrics give a great shave.

Clayton
Yes, it's during the winter when the bathroom is cold and the water takes a long time to warm up that my Braun sees the most use.

I concur, it’s in the cold weather that an electric razor gets the most use by me. Warm hot weather, much prefer a wet DE .

Never thought of sharpening the cutting head. I can't stand the shave a rotary gives me, I stuck with Braun foils when I shaved with electrics.

Never thought of sharpening the cutting head. I can't stand the shave a rotary gives me, I stuck with Braun foils when I shaved with electrics.

It works best with the older style rotary heads that are flat. The curved 'close cut" heads require a different technique for optimum results, the blades actually have to be polished inside the head itself using polishing compound.

Clayton

A cleaning station could be useful because in my experience shavers can develop some funky smells if they are used wet. There's just too many nooks and crannies in them and they don't always dry quickly.

A cleaning station could be useful because in my experience shavers can develop some funky smells if they are used wet. There's just too many nooks and crannies in them and they don't always dry quickly.

I agree. I have owned several electric shavers, most of them Braun foils, and nothing gets them anywhere near as clean as the purpose designed cleaning station. I've tried using clipper sani spray that barbers use, I've tried aftermarket solutions like shaver shebang, I've even tried straight up soaking the blade cartridge itself in iso alcohol over night... It eventually will start to stink and micro hairs get trapped in deep crevasses.

I agree. I have owned several electric shavers, most of them Braun foils, and nothing gets them anywhere near as clean as the purpose designed cleaning station. I've tried using clipper sani spray that barbers use, I've tried aftermarket solutions like shaver shebang, I've even tried straight up soaking the blade cartridge itself in iso alcohol over night... It eventually will start to stink and micro hairs get trapped in deep crevasses.

I suspect that soap scum could bond with the stubble and become hard to dislodge, if you use a traditional shave soap (Panasonic recommended at one time using liquid hand cleanser, not soap, for their foil shavers). Clearly, wet shaving with an electric is a mixed blessing. I could see it easily becoming very unhygenic.

Probably something like Cremo or Van Der Hagen would work best if you do wet shave with one of these. I used VDH yesterday with my Philips and it shaved very well. You don't really need a thick traditional lather, just a slick surface.

I’ve never owned a cleaning station for several reasons including the cost. If you shave dry with an electric shaver it shouldn’t smell. I have never had one develop an odor in over 55 years of using various electric shavers. My previous Panasonic ES8103 I rinsed out the head under warm running water and a drop of liquid hand soap weekly and it never developed an odor. With my current Braun I just shave dry and tap out the cuttings from the cutter/foil cassette daily and in 7 months of daily use it hasn’t developed any odor.

Even when dry shaving the cleaning station removes what rinsing didn't get. I still remove the cartridge afterwards so it can dry completely and be ready for the next shave.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

If you enjoy it, then use it in good health. If you consider that the Braun Shaver has not muhas changed that much in the basic design since the 1950s. Of course there are more foils and cutters, more flexible heads and rechargeable batteries. But, the basic design is pretty much the same. The manufacturer had to come up with new revenue streams, other than replacement screens and cutters, to get you to spend more money or buy a new shaver. Once shavers no linger were tied to the AC outlet, the cleaning station provided more revenue at the original point of sale and then a continuing revenue stream in the sales of replacement fluid.

I don’t understand this obsession with clean when it comes to electric shavers. I have been using them since the early 1960s and never had a skin problem from shaving. I just brushed out the head daily. An electric shaver cutter blade is not in direct contact with your skin and works more like a pair of scissors than a razor blade. Finally, the hairs or dead skin that you are brushing out or rinsing out of the shaver is your from own body unless you are sharing it with someone else.

Besides the money spent on the initial purchase and replacement fluid, cleaning stations use more electricity and take up space in both your bathroom and eventually in a landfill somewhere.

If you enjoy it, then use it in good health. If you consider that the Braun Shaver has not muhas changed that much in the basic design since the 1950s. Of course there are more foils and cutters, more flexible heads and rechargeable batteries. But, the basic design is pretty much the same. The manufacturer had to come up with new revenue streams, other than replacement screens and cutters, to get you to spend more money or buy a new shaver. Once shavers no linger were tied to the AC outlet, the cleaning station provided more revenue at the original point of sale and then a continuing revenue stream in the sales of replacement fluid.

I don’t understand this obsession with clean when it comes to electric shavers. I have been using them since the early 1960s and never had a skin problem from shaving. I just brushed out the head daily. An electric shaver cutter blade is not in direct contact with your skin and works more like a pair of scissors than a razor blade. Finally, the hairs or dead skin that you are brushing out or rinsing out of the shaver is your from own body unless you are sharing it with someone else.

Besides the money spent on the initial purchase and replacement fluid, cleaning stations use more electricity and take up space in both your bathroom and eventually in a landfill somewhere.

Why do you prefer foils over rotary shavers?

I found this German research paper on improving electric shaving comfort. It discusses, among other things, the use of active cooling because there is evidence that the cooler the skin is, the less it tends to get caught in the foil.

It's an interesting observation and tends to go with my observation that wet shaving with hot water tends to produce alot more skin irritation.

Last edited:
Why do you prefer foils over rotary shavers?

I found this German research paper on improving electric shaving comfort. It discusses, among other things, the use of active cooling because there is evidence that the cooler the skin is, the less it tends to get caught in the foil.

It's an interesting observation and tends to go with my observation that wet shaving with hot water tends to produce alot more skin irritation.
Moisture on the skin produces drag because the top surface becomes swollen and the moisture makes it sticky. Therefore, shaving with an electric shaver really works best with dry cool skin. Obviously, living in a dry cool climate helps or having air conditioning. When I had to shave in a warm moist environment I used a preshave powder which would both absorb the moisture and provide a dry lubricant on the top surface of the skin. If you want to shave wet adding shaving cream then acts as a lubricant to the moisture similar to shaving with a blade.

I won some bids on some vintage Norelco shavers on eBay. People collect old razors, I figure I will collect a few old shavers. It seems there is no shortage of spare parts out there and unlike blade razors, there's no hype associated with them.

I prefer dry shaving with electrics. Less mess and cleanup. All I use is electric preshave lotion.

I won some bids on some vintage Norelco shavers on eBay. People collect old razors, I figure I will collect a few old shavers. It seems there is no shortage of spare parts out there and unlike blade razors, there's no hype associated with them.

I prefer dry shaving with electrics. Less mess and cleanup. All I use is electric preshave lotion.
Yes, folks will collect anything. Where did you find them? The Norelco I used in the 1960s was a two head shaver where the top popped open to brush out the cuttings. The shaver was made of two plastic parts the lower one was gray and the top part was white.

Top Bottom