What's new

Fly Tying

Tied up a few more poppers the other day.

20190607_151246.jpg

20190607_151322.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Not sure Mac, I am a relative newbie. Is there a quality difference in brands of flies?
I'm going after the Hex hatch tonight after dark, tying up giant flies that I hope will stay afloat.
IMG_0874.JPG

Nice!

Flies from overseas are meh.

Good ones in a shop like Orvis have moved from $1.25 to $2.50 or $3, i guess. And the cost of fly lines!

Huh. I guess I got old. :)

Nice!

Flies from overseas are meh.

Good ones in a shop like Orvis have moved from $1.25 to $2.50 or $3, i guess. And the cost of fly lines!

Huh. I guess I got old. :)

I thought most commercial shops now stocked overseas flies? Either way they are pricey. I tie most of mine now but occasionally buy during cabelas sales. Before I got deeper into tying I would buy them by the dozen cheap off ebay. Probably rough quality but with a dab of super glue on the head thread they worked pretty well and lasted a long time.

Making the step up from an old Thompson vise:
3DD904CD-E76F-44B9-914C-7C1827BAB2BE.jpeg

Renzetti Traveler 2200, background picture palette and an aftermarket base. Picked it up for a mere $50.

Also picked up an unused Mystic
M273-2 2wt fly rod with a new SA Mastery XPS floating line for $52.

Fly tying and fishing around the corner...and I’m tempted to play the lottery.

Making the step up from an old Thompson vise:
View attachment 997523
Renzetti Traveler 2200, background picture palette and an aftermarket base. Picked it up for a mere $50.

Also picked up an unused Mystic
M273-2 2wt fly rod with a new SA Mastery XPS floating line for $52.

Fly tying and fishing around the corner...and I’m tempted to play the lottery.
Nice pickups! Great prices too :thumbup:

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Those are both screaming deals. I often use a Mystic M-series 4 weight, and it is a great rod. And a Renzetti for 50 bucks?! You should go buy some lottery tickets!
Now get tying and post some pictures of your creations!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Nice streamers, Mark.

Back to the hex hatch tonight. It has been a shut out so far. The bugs I tied last time got plenty of strikes and splashes, but none ever caught a hook. Maybe this one will work- and float better. Size 8 hook.
fullsizeoutput_469.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Nice Mark! Those are for sure getting better. The taper is smoothing out. I have never tried tying one. Are you using a dubbing brush? They seem hard, but I am sure they will be effective.
It is so hot here, I can't fish for trout so I am considering going after some largemouth. I suppose I could try to tie some poppers. What do you use for the heads- cork? foam? Do you shape it yourself? I may try a deer hair popper as well.

Top Bottom