What's new

Fly Tying

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Looking good Mark. I used a pencil eraser to strip the quills, although I have also purchased stripped polish quills with good luck. Looking back at that picture, I realize I forgot to dub a thorax, and so it looks odd. I'll try to do a better version and post it. So far this winter, I have completed my stonefly box, 3 dry boxes, 2 nymph boxes, a streamer, terrestrial, wet fly box, and a steelhead box. Tonight I was playing around trying to figure out how to burn wings.
fullsizeoutput_410.jpeg

Looking good Mark. I used a pencil eraser to strip the quills, although I have also purchased stripped polish quills with good luck. Looking back at that picture, I realize I forgot to dub a thorax, and so it looks odd. I'll try to do a better version and post it. So far this winter, I have completed my stonefly box, 3 dry boxes, 2 nymph boxes, a streamer, terrestrial, wet fly box, and a steelhead box. Tonight I was playing around trying to figure out how to burn wings. View attachment 951307

Sweet! I recently got a wing burner set as well. Haven't gotten around to using it yet. Good looking fly :thumbup1:.

I tied up a few more tonight to complete another row of the box. Only a couple left on this side. Been taking me a while. I don't get alot of tying time and I am a slow tyer lol.

20190209_223250.jpg

20190209_223312.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
No, is that recommended? I'm also just using leftover pieces of dry fly hackle. Do you know if there is a specific feather to use for burnt wings? I also have been working on wally wings, but I have yet to have one work. It is getting to be expensive breaking mallard flank feathers much as I have been. Here is another shot of that last one, the moose mane body was better on the side that I could see when I was wrapping it.
fullsizeoutput_413.jpeg

No, is that recommended? I'm also just using leftover pieces of dry fly hackle. Do you know if there is a specific feather to use for burnt wings? I also have been working on wally wings, but I have yet to have one work. It is getting to be expensive breaking mallard flank feathers much as I have been. Here is another shot of that last one, the moose mane body was better on the side that I could see when I was wrapping it. View attachment 951499
That looks awesome! I have heard some like to coat the wings in varnish of some kind. To strengthen the feathers a bit. As far as I know any feather should work. But I know little to nothing about them haha.

Hi...long time lurker and info sponge here, but also long time fly tyer...great looking flies here! Here's a pic of my recently deceased Vulfix 2234 and some flies "hatched" from its remains...

Brilliant idea! I have a couple old. Nots I was about to toss...off they go to the fly tying desk.

Thanks for the idea.

B357C2AF-1947-492C-B9EC-425109AAE926.jpeg

041DA461-9781-42B2-8D99-213DA6A53676.jpeg

I haven’t tied in several years so go easy. Three scuds, grey, olive and orange, size 10. I will be using these on a spring creek in about ten days.

Top Bottom