What's new

Fly Tying

Nice Mark! Those are for sure getting better. The taper is smoothing out. I have never tried tying one. Are you using a dubbing brush? They seem hard, but I am sure they will be effective.
It is so hot here, I can't fish for trout so I am considering going after some largemouth. I suppose I could try to tie some poppers. What do you use for the heads- cork? foam? Do you shape it yourself? I may try a deer hair popper as well.
Thanks a bunch! They are pretty tough at first. Mostly because they take so long to tie. Each one as taken me a few hours lol. I am using "chocklett's body wrap" for these but they can be made with quite a few different materials.

Foam is my usual popper material but cork is great as well. You can usually find various sizes of cork stoppers in the hardware store. I grabbed some a while back but never got around to tieing with them haha. I have made my own from foam flip flop shoes in the past as well. They work pretty well. I never did any shaping other than a little with scissors. They were pretty sloppy but the fish didn't mind too much. Buying pre formed popper bodies is an option as well. I've heard good things about the double barrel popper bodies. The recent poppers I posted where pre made and attached to the hooks already. Just added the other materials. They came from a Chinese store. Took forever to arrive but they were cheap. I'll probably stick with local popper supplies from now on though. I'm very tempted to get a small lathe to shape poppers in the future haha.

Deer hair would be awesome! I haven't done much with deer hair but they look neat and seem to work great! Streamers work great for bass too. Even smaller ones but you may get some panfish attention. Bass will eat almost anything woolly looking and stuff with movement

Fourth attempt last night. I think I'm starting to understand a bit more of how these things go together

20190724_231830.jpg

Tied another gamechanger tonight. 5th one and smallest so far. I'm enjoying tying these. The group pic is all of them so far. Top being the first and the rest in order below.

20190731_232943.jpg

20190731_232923.jpg

20190731_233030.jpg

Top Bottom