What's new

Fly Tying

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Going mousing after dark tomorrow night. The one on the bottom is from the fly shop, the others are my weak attempts at mimicking it. Deer hair is hard!
IMG_1684.JPG

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Thanks, I see all of the imperfections, but I hope the fish won't care. Last year they only ended up catching alder brush! This year I am hoping for some browns.

Been messing around with some simple crayfish patterns. I haven't really tied or fished them before. Most patterns seem to be pretty complex. Been on the lookout for something pretty simple and easy to tie. These might work ok. Hoping to give them a try tomorrow :thumbup:

Been having fun tinkering with different materials.

20180808_235939.jpg

20180809_224049.jpg

20180808_235819.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Mark, those are cray-cray!

Sorry. really they look good.
What is that, furry foam or some fabric kind of material?
I was out mousing tonight, first time after dark in the canoe by myself. 3 times I had one on, but could not keep them on to the net. Realized my 5 weight was not enough. Total chaos in the dark, got off the river after midnight. Headlamp batteries went low- almost out, and had a tough time finding the put in. Was just on this side of exciting/scary. It is fun, but a lot of work but a big challenge for low odds of success.

Mark, those are cray-cray!

Sorry. really they look good.
What is that, furry foam or some fabric kind of material?

The green ones are from a craft felt sheet. It looks ok but I'm afraid that the felt may not be durable enough. The burnt orange/ brown are from a synthetic suede cloth made for auto detailing. Its much tougher and was more difficult to cut haha. Gotta get some better sharpie colors to color it with though. The cloth is absorbent but it doesn't seem to hold more water than any other fly really. It also dries pretty quick. Hoping they work ok. I like the idea of a cray pattern but most of the flies are pretty complex with many materials. I finally found one that was simple and not too long to tie. Going to give them a test today.

Mark, How did the crayfish work?
I'm going after nighttime browns again tonight- will try this mouse pattern:View attachment 904060

Nice mouse! I need to give them a try sometime.

The day didn't really work out sadly. The river I visited was super high and fast from the recent rain. Deeper than I felt comfortable to wade :(. I ended up going to a park down the road with a couple lakes. It was super crowded lol. I did manage a couple little bluegill. Sadly it wasn't the cray pattern that caught them though. I did get to see how they behaved in the water though. They looked great. Very crayfishy. The burnt orange color looked even better wet. Also got to test the stealth bomber frogs I tied up a while back. They also performed nicely. Had a few small bass look at them both but no takers.

Maybe if I get to use them in the right water they will produce. When I packed I went prepared for a river. Was hoping to use some fixed line tenkara rods. But that put me at a little disadvantage at the lakes lol.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Well, you know what they say, a bad day fishing is better than a...
I was looking at those stealth bomber frogs and thinking I should ties them in mouse colors.

Well, you know what they say, a bad day fishing is better than a...
I was looking at those stealth bomber frogs and thinking I should ties them in mouse colors.

I was afraid the legs would weigh down the fly too much to allow it to dive properly. It did have a tendency to land upside down but a little pull forward and it would roll right side up. It looked very froggy when diving. A bubble trail was left like the normal stealth bomber does. The legs flexed, moved, and hung down in the water like a frog would. It dived very froggy as well. When I first casted it the fish just kinda looked at it. After the first dive every little bluegill around it hit it faster than I could blink lol. Too bad they all were too small to get the fly in their mouths :lol:

Give em a try. I may try them with the same material as the crayfish bodies as well.

ah.... gentlemen, you bring a twinkle to my eye and a soft sigh about how badly I've lost my way. I need to heal the ligaments in an ankle, and be able to walk more than 100 yards, carry a small floater, fit into a pair of waders, find my vest. They tell me the rivers and streams here in Georgia are some of the best in the Nation, and you couldn't prove it by me since I've been here... 10 years now since I've lifted a rod. It's just a damn shame. I'm ashamed. Life changed and I didn't see it until now.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Hey Chris,
I wish you success in all of the above! Get back on the river, even if just for a little bit. It sounds like you would enjoy whatever you could do- even casting to a stream near the road! Don't be ashamed, just find your vest!

By the way, I was skunked tonight. A guy upstream from me was hooking up every 15-20 mn, and I could hear the fights. I was frustrated, I did not even get a splash! We ended up at the landing at the same time, after midnight, so I asked what he was using. Turned out his mice were way smaller, about a third of the size I was using. May try again tomorrow after I spend some time on the vice, tying mice in size 6. Maybe some muddlers too.

I was looking at the Tangerine Creeper logo and the colors and design said, "Atlantic salmon fly" to me, so I tied one. Synthetic menthol = synthetic material for the body. I put it in a little display case with the TC card (and leaves) in the back. I'm going to tie a hairwing version for fishing this fall.
Tangerine Creeper Salmon Fly.jpg
Tangerine Creeper Salmon Fly Case1.jpg
Tangerine Creeper Salmon Fly Case2.jpg
Tangerine Creeper Salmon Fly Case3.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Fun! I see the inspiration and the execution is perfect! Your tying, pork, is pure art.

Although you have such great feathers and ability, I am starting to wonder if you are this guy:

upload_2018-8-22_13-0-56.jpeg

It was a great read.

Did some tying today. Hoping to do more bass fishing next year so these are some new patterns for me to try. Senko flies and Shannon's streamer. Both were quite easy to tie and I like the looks of them.

20181215_135359.jpg

20181215_145500.jpg

20181215_145447.jpg

Top Bottom