What's new

Fly Tying

DSCN1305.JPG
20180314_194501.jpg

Here are a few I tied for some bass.

I use these Gurgler frogs for trout, believe it or not. When they're in the mood, aggressive browns smash them. Gonna use them tomorrow in between Hendrickson hatch and spinner fall...
Farmington Frog Gurglers.jpg

There is no fly I'd rather catch with than a Gurgler. So much fun.

I use these Gurgler frogs for trout, believe it or not. When they're in the mood, aggressive browns smash them. Gonna use them tomorrow in between Hendrickson hatch and spinner fall...
View attachment 882504

Awesome! This is my first time tying them. I'm sure there will be alot more in the future. They are fun to tie. These were tied intended for panfish but they might work for trout. They aren't too big, only size 10.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Beautiful gurglers you guys. In my neck of the woods the Hendricksons have not started and there is not much action. Gonna try to find some brookies and browns on Saturday though on the Bois Brule in WI.

I took the pattern above and added some legs. Hopefully they will fool some bass into thinking they are frogs haha. I will probably have to try some different leg matierials. These endes up being kinda heavy and kinda make the fly sit differently.

20180524_075730.jpg

20180524_075636.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
That's a great idea with the legs- If I was a bass I would think it was a frog. I have been so busy fishing I have not been tying much lately. My steelhead box is pretty empty and a lot of my stoneflies are now in the river hooked to logs and rocks. A small number of them hooked fish. I spent a long time tying them up. Oh well, I guess that is what winter is for.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Mark - those are very nice. Are the grizzly hackle ones tenkara style? Nice even wire wraps and proportions. Those black from beetles are sweet.

Mark - those are very nice. Are the grizzly hackle ones tenkara style? Nice even wire wraps and proportions. Those black from beetles are sweet.
Thanks! Yes they are tenkara style flies. I believe they are called sakasa kebari. Reverse hackle fly. The bodies are made of yarn and the hackle is guinea feather. The single fluffy one was the left over fluff from the guinea feathers. Getting a little better at some of these. Can't wait to get out and try them :thumbup:

A couple tied with just the tools shown (plus a bodkin). Atlantic salmon season is underway. Not sure of my plans yet...fingers crossed...

P1060301.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I've been planning for a trip out to Montana to chase the salmon fly hatch around Ennis. These are not very elegantly tied flies, but I hope they will do the trick.
fullsizeoutput_3a2.jpeg
IMG_1586.JPG

Top Bottom