What's new

Flask's newbie adventure

Being accused of being a ‘bot’ ain’t so bad. Just sorry my enthusiasm was a blight on the newsfeed of @lasta

1676868752774.png

I sure miss Mass Effect :)

See, I was sure he was talking about me. "Um, yeah, can I get a Flask filter please?"

Awesome, @flask28 . Your looks better than mine, but I only used the last part in a Tube 2.0 that was no longer accessible. Mine is in a white plastic soap tub with a screw on lid.... But I have one of Captain Choice's soap lockers... that idea would work perfectly in that.

Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Thank you sir! I'm so glad it didn't turn into a "don't try this at home" article.

You have what I'm missing - A lid. I'm trying to decide how much I care about that....not much at the moment. I almost purchased a soap locker for this experiment actually, but I paused when I read the locker is sized for 5oz of soap and the cube is 8oz.

I still would have tried it, honestly, if the matching Sage locker wasn't sold out right now. Ha! But I was surprised how close to the top of the ceramic bowl the soap got. Turned out perfectly sized though, I got super lucky. :)

Hmm, Naruto, Mass Effect. Why do I get the feeling you are not actually 52?

Are you old enough to be on the internet?

That was like 2007!!! lol

I'm so old. The other day I was talking about something with this other guy said he wasn't into history. I'm like, man, that's not history, that just happened!! Then I think about it and realize, ok, yeah, that was during the Clinton administration.

I couldn't grasp, at all, what was happening during the superbowl halftime show, if that tells you anything.

I tried the remelted The Cube this morning and it was really interesting.

At first, I just looked at it for a while - it's so spooky looking I just can't get over it. Its triggering every fantasy RPG instinct I have!

1676942604081.png

I tried using the Cashmere knot first and ran into some trouble. I really couldn't get it to pickup much soap after spending quite a while trying. I'd bring it to my face and very little soap came off. Then I tried the muhle stf and had much the same luck - although it was a good reminder how nice that brush feels. It's been quite a while since I used it.

Then I tried the Shavemac Finest. That's a funny brush, I purchased it spontaneously off Reddit for $35 shipped, it's my first badger actually. I figured what the heck, it's an RV. The Finest is medium soft with a medium to light backbone. It's got a little scritch, a little pushback and splays like an octopus. I used it twice and decided it wasn't really for me. I didn't love how in the second pass it just collapses flat like paintbrush.

Today it really nailed loading the soap from the bowl of death though, much better than the two synths I tried. Still collapsed into a pancake though. I'm thinking this preshave soap wants a firmer brush perhaps, or maybe I just need to get more water involved in the process. I wonder what brush @BobbyB is using for his bowl of Ice Cube.

Once I got it on my face though, I wanted to lather it like a shaving soap! I had to remind myself I was shooting for super super hydrated, I even started dunking the brush of lather into the sink (a bit) to thin it way out. I'll do better next time.

I find I really enjoy scrubbing my face with a brush and I'm digging a preshave process that lets me do it more. But I'm somewhat leery about rubbing my skin off. Eight hours later, my face doesn't feel sensitive or tender pr anything I'd imagine a symptom of scrubbing the heck out of your face would feel like. So far so good I guess.

I'll give the synesthetic brushes another go next time. It's highly likely I'm being an idiot.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
maybe I'm a synesthete and don't know it?

Do you taste sounds? Sight needn’t play a part.

@flask28 ,

Could a wetter synthetic be worth trying? Sometimes, that helps with loading soaps. Haven’t tried on The Cube and I rub my glycerin bar on my face before lather, so I can’t guarantee efficacy.

Surprised you didn’t try John’s technique of lathering with ARKO! or Col Conk three times before the main event.

I think I need a synaesthetic brush!

Wikipedia: "People who report a lifelong history of such experiences are known as synesthetes."

Given my colorblindness, maybe I'm a synesthete and don't know it? A synesthetic brush should clear it all up. Color me green with envy that @flask28 already has some.

:eek2:

Now that you say that, I did notice the tips are getting pretty chocolatey and loud!!

Do you taste sounds? Sight needn’t play a part.

@flask28 ,

Could a wetter synthetic be worth trying? Sometimes, that helps with loading soaps. Haven’t tried on The Cube and I rub my glycerin bar on my face before lather, so I can’t guarantee efficacy.

Surprised you didn’t try John’s technique of lathering with ARKO! or Col Conk three times before the main event.

oooooooh. You just gave me an amazing idea. What if you mixed in a shape made with Arko while it was setting?

1676949700989.png

Yes, I agree with your suggestion there and I'll give that a go. Wetter could very well be better in this case.

3x Conk Lime tonight. Perfection. Of course, I admit that reading The Cube's ingredients inspired me to take up pre-shaving with a less expensive glycerin shave soap that I had in inventory.

D3A58C2E-F569-4643-BA95-0FC52938B8DE.jpeg
That Rubberset is a huge honker. Fun to use but not a precision instrument. I lathered my whole face, extending to my glasses and some of my shirt.

Full service.​

I tried the remelted The Cube this morning and it was really interesting.

At first, I just looked at it for a while - it's so spooky looking I just can't get over it. Its triggering every fantasy RPG instinct I have!

View attachment 1609420

I tried using the Cashmere knot first and ran into some trouble. I really couldn't get it to pickup much soap after spending quite a while trying. I'd bring it to my face and very little soap came off. Then I tried the muhle stf and had much the same luck - although it was a good reminder how nice that brush feels. It's been quite a while since I used it.

Then I tried the Shavemac Finest. That's a funny brush, I purchased it spontaneously off Reddit for $35 shipped, it's my first badger actually. I figured what the heck, it's an RV. The Finest is medium soft with a medium to light backbone. It's got a little scritch, a little pushback and splays like an octopus. I used it twice and decided it wasn't really for me. I didn't love how in the second pass it just collapses flat like paintbrush.

Today it really nailed loading the soap from the bowl of death though, much better than the two synths I tried. Still collapsed into a pancake though. I'm thinking this preshave soap wants a firmer brush perhaps, or maybe I just need to get more water involved in the process. I wonder what brush @BobbyB is using for his bowl of Ice Cube.

Once I got it on my face though, I wanted to lather it like a shaving soap! I had to remind myself I was shooting for super super hydrated, I even started dunking the brush of lather into the sink (a bit) to thin it way out. I'll do better next time.

I find I really enjoy scrubbing my face with a brush and I'm digging a preshave process that lets me do it more. But I'm somewhat leery about rubbing my skin off. Eight hours later, my face doesn't feel sensitive or tender pr anything I'd imagine a symptom of scrubbing the heck out of your face would feel like. So far so good I guess.

I'll give the synesthetic brushes another go next time. It's highly likely I'm being an idiot.
I use Noble Otter's brush for applying my Cube 2.0 and also my lathering with their Lonestar soap.
Soap & Brush.jpg

3x Conk Lime tonight. Perfection. Of course, I admit that reading The Cube's ingredients inspired me to take up pre-shaving with a less expensive glycerin shave soap that I had in inventory.

View attachment 1609502 That Rubberset is a huge honker. Fun to use but not a precision instrument. I lathered my whole face, extending to my glasses and some of my shirt.

Full service.​

LOLLOLOL, accidently lathered the side wall in the process.

You are just expressing your creative side with that big brush!

1677029315595.png

I've finally decided on my Fixed Four choices:

1677382657727.png

And plan to use them as part of tomorrow morning's Maximum Effort™ shave

1677382756646.png

Preshave Brush: RV Muhle 25mm STF EVH Edition
Preshave Soap: The Bowl of Death
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Barber Shop
Razor: Razorock GameChanger .68-P with RR UFO handle
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Omega Jade Boar
Poster: Captain's Choice Bay Rum Balm
Postest: Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

The fixed four are either old friends or at least familiar to me. I was loaned/given the .68-P by a co-worker in the very early days of my wetshaving adventure. Right around that time I was introduced to vintage gillettes by a local member and was loaned many, then given a Slim. The GameChanger only got a few shaves in before the magic of the Slim overwhelmed me.

The Slim almost ended my razor search, seriously, but then B&B ruined that whole plan. :) Well, @Guido75 mostly ruined that plan with his generous gifts, but the RAD is real here, which ultimately lead me to using a Tech for the last few months.

For the Fixed Four I'm revisiting that GameChanger and psyched about it. Tons of threads about it here and many brothers I respect are big fans. The rest of the kit are all good friends. The Gillette Platinum is a known great blade for me. I almost switched to a different brush for the event, but I've got 39 consecutive shaves (and two dozen cycles before that) in with the Omega Jade and it's 85% broken in I think - I want to finish it off.

And part of me is still seriously considering making 2023 the Year Of the Boar and only using boar brushes till January. I should talk to the Brotherhood of the Boar guys about that. I have some nice boars now with these new Zenith unbleached ones that just arrived plus the other two I have. I could make it I think!

I love how this Mike's soap performs and smells, I'll have no problem sticking with it for the month. I've been using it for a few weeks of SWS now and I'm thinking about actually 3017ing it. I'd like to be able to say I killed a soap in my first year of wet shaving.

proxy.php

Which is hard to contemplate considering I've got some reaaaaaly nice soaps stacking up (thank you @SgtCrppls, @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Time Bandit for your valuable soap advice). It's a personal impulse control test, really. One of several I seem to have stacking up these days. Seriously, I get into that cabinet and smell them all the time! lol.

Thanks to @thombrogan's suggestion I've got the synthetic brushes dialed in with the Preshave Bowl of Doom now. I kept at it, adding more and more water each time till I discovered I used too much.

Coming Through Monday Morning GIF by Paddington Bear

But eventually I figured it out.

Compared to a shaving lather, this is practically soapy water. But it sure works great and I enjoy the additional ritual in these high luxury weekend shaves.

I'm looking forward to March. I know I'm going to learn a lot, it's going to be a month of discovery. And fun!

Sounds like a great setup. I cannot wait for Match to begin so I can rotate blades and soaps again. I am very glad you introduced me to Mike’s Barbershop. I think I will use that for a number of shaves in March.

Looking forward to your Game Changer reviews. Sounds like a great razor so maybe have to add that to the never ending list of things to want and not get 😊.

Cheers and enjoy,

Guido

Sounds like a great setup. I cannot wait for Match to begin so I can rotate blades and soaps again. I am very glad you introduced me to Mike’s Barbershop. I think I will use that for a number of shaves in March.

Looking forward to your Game Changer reviews. Sounds like a great razor so maybe have to add that to the never ending list of things to want and not get 😊.

Cheers and enjoy,

Guido

Congrats, not much longer my friend and you'll be free! I'm sure that's how I'll be feeling by the end of March.

I'm so glad you're enjoying that soap - I really love that scent!! And the performance seems on par with most artisan soaps to me.

Wow, is it just me or does everyone type artesian first and have to correct to artisan EVERY TIME?! I'd like to see an artesian soap, would it be like a seeping soap fountain?

Top Bottom