What's new

Flask's newbie adventure

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm not sure blade gap is the only determining factor in "all" razors. An example: the Blutt BR-1 1.20 razor is mild but efficient for me. I doubt I'd say the same about a Timeless or Lupo 1.20. The razor designers know a lot more than I do. The head design takes into account the gap and the safety bar or open comb dimensional relationship.

I doubt I'm communicating this effectively. I hope someone else with more knowledge than I possess will chime in. I'm guessing a lot of plane geometry is in play as the designers move their razor designs from their heads... get them drawn out or into a CAD system and then into their manufacturing processes.

I'm not sure a 3x preshave application necessary at all

Confession. 3x preshave face lather is primarily because I get bored just waiting for the hydration to happen. Added bonuses:
3 face massages
Use up some of my soap before 3019
Break in those lather-eating boars
Hot rag lather removal x3 also feels great, great, and great
Clean, clean, clean! And that much closer to godliness. Lord knows I have a long way to go to hit godliness. Just ask my sister-in-law.

Riddle: my sister-in-law married me. I have only been married once. Explain.

I'm not sure blade gap is the only determining factor in "all" razors. An example: the Blutt BR-1 1.20 razor is mild but efficient for me. I doubt I'd say the same about a Timeless or Lupo 1.20. The razor designers know a lot more than I do. The head design takes into account the gap and the safety bar or open comb dimensional relationship.

I doubt I'm communicating this effectively.

Kim, you are a master statesman. After reading all these amazing, funny and sage posts - three times - I think it's all starting to sink in. And what I'm walking away with is what you are saying - It depends. Your Blutt/Timeless example illustrates that perfecetly. As does @desertcat's Timeless/GC 84-P comparisons with @APBinNCA's commentary on them. Blade angle, exposure and gap combine with head geometry to define how a razor works on your face.

Using just one of those elements, like gap size say, to compare two razors is an imprecise, inaccurate and can easily lead to false assumptions. Much like using a CPU's clock speed to judge performance.

ok, I think I get that. I'm getting it.

Because @lasta is a stylish compendium of shaving data, I really appreciated both his thoughts and his link threads here that filled in my Tech knowledge. In one of them there is a great USB Microscope image of a pre-war tech:

1677731312712.png

And in comparison to the GC-68-P

1677731363083.png

Wow, my first thought is what?! The pre war Tech is mild?! It looks like a weapon, how could it possibly be milder with that positive blade exposure?

The larger the gap, the steeper the angle of edge to skin as the skin flows through that gap so why not just increase blade exposure of a well supported blade and use a steeper angle? It equates to much the same thing in the end with far less chance of being bitten when in a hurry and the shark mouth gap taking a chunk out of the skin in that gap, but, to each their own.

Ahh. This is why. Thank you @Esox!! Your post was written in such a way I felt these concepts start to "click" in my head as I read it. Well, as I read it the third time.

This is why I shave a little steeper with the Tech. And similarly,

Unquestionably the GameChanger clamps/supports the blade more firmly, which I think vastly changes and improves the shave.

Which would explain the results from Adam’s shave when going more shallow.

The GameChanger 64's neutral exposure, larger gap and steeper angle (or more curvature, perhaps) warrant a more neutral to shallow angle. Perhaps. At least in comparison to the pre-war Tech let's say.

Why do so many people want to shave steeper? Cut, not scrape!

@lasta, thank you. This was another "ha ah" moment. I've totally been scraping. Why? That makes no sense, You don't slice anything by scraping it, lol. @Esox, @thombrogan and you all made that point a few ways here. It's sinking in and making sense now.

I don’t want to hijack your journal

Ha! This isn't off subject, and even if it was diversion, weeds and rabbit holes are welcome here!

Thank you so much for those photos of your Tech and GC-84! That was a very cool post. I love how you superimposed them like that, you could really see the difference in head geometry and blade angle with that. We need to get you a usb microscope!

I know I wasn't asked, but I have warned people in the past that the Timeless .95 will let skin in and bite if you are being exceptionally negligent. The area of the safety bar is large and looks like the front of a slay so it pushes skin out of the way really well. But because it is solely a steep razor, it can still feed skin in like a conveyor belt unlike my Henson(with the same gap). So I would start paying attention above .85, but wouldn't be too concerned until maybe 1.15 depending on the blade exposure at that gap. The guard span on something like a Lupo 95 looks like it could feed skin to blade real well!

Thanks man, this also really helped paint the picture for me how gap and razor design intersect. This is helping me understand how these seemingly death defying WR gaps of 1.55 are not the weapons of mass destruction you'd think.

Last edited:
Confession. 3x preshave face lather is primarily because I get bored just waiting for the hydration to happen. Added bonuses:
3 face massages
Use up some of my soap before 3019
Break in those lather-eating boars
Hot rag lather removal x3 also feels great, great, and great
Clean, clean, clean! And that much closer to godliness. Lord knows I have a long way to go to hit godliness. Just ask my sister-in-law.

Riddle: my sister-in-law married me. I have only been married once. Explain.

I love it! I think it's a great and it really doesn't eat up more time as it's in between steps I'm already taking. OH! I didn't even think to use this as a break in opportunity - you could get four boars cycled per shave!! That would be all my boars :)

You are the co-brother-in-law once removed!

Shave Report - 36 hours later

The GC shave held up about 8-12 hours longer than my average Tech shaves, this is enough to make we want to revisit my Tech angle, frankly. Especially since the Angle Masterclass of yesterday and this morning. Still, we've established the GC is a more efficient razor in general and this has now been born out objectively for sure.

The growth grew back differently as well. Normally, I'll feel my neck growth first then about 4-6 hours later I'll start to notice it on my face. After these two GC shaves, the growth was even - everywhere at once. I attribute this to much closer - or more successful - neck passes.

Perhaps working to find a shallow/neutral angle, plus the different, more effective design of the GC are working together to improve the closeness and staying power of my shaves.

Which is awesome. FFFMM is paying off on day one. Thank you @Cal!

@thombrogan, @desertcat and I were having a side conversation about how much I love ARKO! In fact, I love it so much I'm leveling it up right now. On the window sill. The outside of the window still.

1677732667827.png

It's going to be in its final form by Arko August. :)

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Using just one of those elements, like gap size say, to compare two razors is an imprecise, inaccurate and can easily lead to false assumptions. Much like using a CPU's clock speed to judge performance.
Both my Razorock DE1 and Karve SBG have a 1.35mm blade gap if that is any indication of how inaccurate blade gap comparison is.
Karve SBG.jpg

This is the Karve SBG, blade gap 1.35mm. The blade guards on the DE1 block the view so I don't have a picture, but you can trust me that the DE1 is much milder than the Karve SBG.

I thought you might like to see my pics of a few techs compared to a few Game Changers showing blade exposure.
EFBT.jpg

An English Tech above.
English_Tech1.jpg

An English Flat Bottom Tech.
GC68-P.jpg

Game Changer GC68-P
GC84-P.jpg

Game Changer GC84-P
GC84OC.jpg

Game Changer GC84OC

And the blade gaps and weights on my Techs.

47 English Flat Bottom Tech
Cap-12.2g Baseplate-13.2g C&P-25.6 Handle-24.9g Total-50.5g
Gap= .028" $ Gift from Cal Buck $
Mirror Nickel Re-plate Cap 11/18/22 BackRoadsGold $25.00

67 England Tech aluminum handle
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.2g C&P-20.4 Handle-11.5g Total-32g
Gap= .026" $ PIF from Mawashi $
PIF to B&B Member

67 Tech M4* aluminum handle Mar 3, 2019
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.4g C&P-20.6 Handle-12.2g Total-33g
Gap= .025" $5.00

PreWar Tech** Apr 13, 2019
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.0g C&P-24.5 Handle-23g Total-47.5g
Gap= .019" $10.49
Mirror Nickel re-plate handle at BRG $25.00

53 Tech Y2*** Mar 5, 2019
Cap-11.4g Steel Baseplate-8.4g C&P-19.8 Handle-36.3g Total-56.2g
Gap= .021" $19.50

No Date (46-50) Tech
Cap-11.2g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-22.0 Handle-34.6g Total-56.5g
Gap= .024" $ PIF from Mawashi $

English Tech* (Early)
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-25.3 Handle-37.0g Total-62.3g
Gap= .028" $ PIF from Mawashi $

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Both my Razorock DE1 and Karve SBG have a 1.35mm blade gap if that is any indication of how inaccurate blade gap comparison is.
View attachment 1614379
This is the Karve SBG, blade gap 1.35mm. The blade guards on the DE1 block the view so I don't have a picture, but you can trust me that the DE1 is much milder than the Karve SBG.

I thought you might like to see my pics of a few techs compared to a few Game Changers showing blade exposure.
View attachment 1614371
An English Tech above.
View attachment 1614372
An English Flat Bottom Tech.
View attachment 1614375
Game Changer GC68-P
View attachment 1614377
Game Changer GC84-P
View attachment 1614378
Game Changer GC84OC

And the blade gaps and weights on my Techs.

47 English Flat Bottom Tech
Cap-12.2g Baseplate-13.2g C&P-25.6 Handle-24.9g Total-50.5g
Gap= .028" $ Gift from Cal Buck $
Mirror Nickel Re-plate Cap 11/18/22 BackRoadsGold $25.00

67 England Tech aluminum handle
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.2g C&P-20.4 Handle-11.5g Total-32g
Gap= .026" $ PIF from Mawashi $
PIF to B&B Member

67 Tech M4* aluminum handle Mar 3, 2019
Cap-10.2g Baseplate-10.4g C&P-20.6 Handle-12.2g Total-33g
Gap= .025" $5.00

PreWar Tech** Apr 13, 2019
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.0g C&P-24.5 Handle-23g Total-47.5g
Gap= .019" $10.49
Mirror Nickel re-plate handle at BRG $25.00

53 Tech Y2*** Mar 5, 2019
Cap-11.4g Steel Baseplate-8.4g C&P-19.8 Handle-36.3g Total-56.2g
Gap= .021" $19.50

No Date (46-50) Tech
Cap-11.2g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-22.0 Handle-34.6g Total-56.5g
Gap= .024" $ PIF from Mawashi $

English Tech* (Early)
Cap-14.5g Baseplate-10.8g C&P-25.3 Handle-37.0g Total-62.3g
Gap= .028" $ PIF from Mawashi $

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Thank you Doug!! Amazing photos. That 1.35 gap of the Karve looks like a climbing wall compared to all the others.

It's also interesting how much flatter the EFB blade angle is than the other techs. I know @Chan Eil Whiskers has one on the way it'll be interesting to see what he thinks coming to it fresh. I know you are a huge fan and I think I'm starting to see why.

lasta

Blade Biter
Thank you Doug!! Amazing photos. That 1.35 gap of the Karve looks like a climbing wall compared to all the others.

It's also interesting how much flatter the EFB blade angle is than the other techs. I know @Chan Eil Whiskers has one on the way it'll be interesting to see what he thinks coming to it fresh. I know you are a huge fan and I think I'm starting to see why.
Not much different:

Not much different:

Nice post @lasta! You've had them all! Very interesting photos my man. You are right, it's not a big difference it seems, particularly from the post-war.

Thanks, you're helping me keep the RAD beast kenneled up :)

lasta

Blade Biter
Nice post @lasta! You've had them all! Very interesting photos my man. You are right, it's not a big difference it seems, particularly from the post-war.

Thanks, you're helping me keep the RAD beast kenneled up :)
Photos mean nothing, especially other people's photos!

Techs are as close to razor perfection as possible and I find the subtle variations in between Techs more interesting than comparing Techs vs other razors!

Why do US Techs have a milled channel on the side of safety bars? Why was this channel included in war time English Techs, but removed post war? Why was it re-introduced in the 50's? Does this little slit aid in lather dispersal thus increasing perceived smoothness? Or was it to save brass for artillery shells?
You have to experience Techs for yourself:c15:

Photos mean nothing, especially other people's photos!

Techs are as close to razor perfection as possible and I find the subtle variations in between Techs more interesting than comparing Techs vs other razors!

Why do US Techs have a milled channel on the side of safety bars? Why was this channel included in war time English Techs, but removed post war? Why was it re-introduced in the 50's? Does this little slit aid in lather dispersal thus increasing perceived smoothness? Or was it to save brass for artillery shells?
You have to experience Techs for yourself:c15:

HA - The RAD beast is out again! Dang, we had it locked up for a whole ten minutes.

I love my pre-war and the 70's Aluminum Tech that @Guido75 gave me. And I've got my eyes peeled for new additions. I'm a little disappointed I only got two weeks in with the post-war before I went with the GameChanger for March, but I'll be coming back to it for sure and a Tech will always be in my rotation. For Tech Tuesdays if nothing else!

Your deep dive into Techs is both inspiring and impressive. And not unlike Indiana Jones, now that I think about it. Fighting to secure Techs across the globe!

Indiana Jones Reaction GIF

You should consider making the @lasta Tech Deep Dive Video. Like that guy's, but more awesome. :)

lasta

Blade Biter
HA - The RAD beast is out again! Dang, we had it locked up for a whole ten minutes.

I love my pre-war and the 70's Aluminum Tech that @Guido75 gave me. And I've got my eyes peeled for new additions. I'm a little disappointed I only got two weeks in with the post-war before I went with the GameChanger for March, but I'll be coming back to it for sure and a Tech will always be in my rotation. For Tech Tuesdays if nothing else!

Your deep dive into Techs is both inspiring and impressive. And not unlike Indiana Jones, now that I think about it. Fighting to secure Techs across the globe!

Indiana Jones Reaction GIF

You should consider making the @lasta Tech Deep Dive Video. Like that guy's, but more awesome. :)
I've only been Teching for about a year. There are far more experienced Techers than me!!

When you start quoting my favourite movie franchise of all time…what was the discussion again?…I lost track. LOL.

@lasta only provided three photos and there are more differences to be found. Your Alu Tech and its successor the Travel Tech have yet another baseplate and cap design. Just take a look at the Alu Tech baseplate - that kind of reminds me of another razor that is raved about by so many…I could be seeing things but I see the beginnings of a Wolfman WR2 in there. With the Travel Tech it’s even more obvious. No wonder they shave so amazingly well!!

And everything about a Tech is intriguing and YMMV. Some say the Canadian is the most aggressive of the bunch, Lasta thinks they are mild. Some say the EFBT is the most effective, other think it’s in the same ballpark as a prewar. And that’s just Techs. If we bring in the NEW there are more facets again (I am somewhat envious of @lasta’s RFB - really nice catch), but they are no Tech so a different razor. Lord by the way has made an OC for their Tech clone!

One thing I know is that my EFBT delivers an excellent shave and thanks to Doug I now know it has positive blade exposure which helps me understand that I have some blade feel (could be in my mind only!). But these different models do inform some RAD in getting at least one from every era and side of the pond!

Cheers,

Guido

When you start quoting my favourite movie franchise of all time…what was the discussion again?…I lost track. LOL.

@lasta only provided three photos and there are more differences to be found. Your Alu Tech and its successor the Travel Tech have yet another baseplate and cap design. Just take a look at the Alu Tech baseplate - that kind of reminds me of another razor that is raved about by so many…I could be seeing things but I see the beginnings of a Wolfman WR2 in there. With the Travel Tech it’s even more obvious. No wonder they shave so amazingly well!!

I'm going to run into the bathroom now to look! It's going to take some time to decide, but I think the aluminum Tech was the smoother shaver on 24 hours growth. It might be the front runner in the den for smoothest shaver. Of course, I have the most time in with that Tech.
But these different models do inform some RAD in getting at least one from every era and side of the pond!

Yes! Exactly! I'm resisting while keeping my eyes open for opportunities. I say this while refreshing an ebay search with the terms "Vintage Gillette Canada" a dozen times a day.

I do have to chime in for other razors. Techs and Game Changer at all fine and everything, but there is nothing like fiddling with Blade alignment for a couple of minutes before the shave and then experiencing the rather tremendous shave you can have with a Fatip Piccolo.

And if you cannot cope with alignment issues (which I barely have actually) just use an Old Type cap with a Fatip baseplate and your RR ball end handle. And don’t tell me that’s not going to be a great shave!

Guido

I do have to chime in for other razors. Techs and Game Changer at all fine and everything, but there is nothing like fiddling with Blade alignment for a couple of minutes before the shave and then experiencing the rather tremendous shave you can have with a Fatip Piccolo.

You know I love the Fatip. That'll have it's honored place as the "I got back from camping with two weeks of growth" razor in my den forever.

I'm sure there's a fancy modern razor in my future, but there's so many great inexpensive razors as well. So many choices, brain aneurysm! This is why I'm making an effort to sniff the flowers and take my time on my journey. And learn as much as I can from the Shaving Brain Trust (SBT) here at B&B.

But let's say it together. "I'm not a collector" "I'm not a collector" "I'm not a collector"

and "Ich bin kein Sammler" just for good measure.

But.

I ordered another shiny copper boar, a crazy scrubby 28x50! Because I needed another boar, sure.

1677822024255.png

It's new still so it's not really fair to evaluate it now. But it seems as likely to poke my eye out as deliver lather. SUPER CRAZY STIFF! There's even a warning about break in on the description page. Great, another boar it'll take a year to break in. As if I don't love that :).

Top Bottom