What's new

Flashlights - Replacement battery vs rechargeable

Flashlight preference. Rechargeable or Replacement batteries?

• Rechargeable

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Replacement

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • I use both - Please list the circumstances of such use

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I still use whale oil lamps

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Kinda in the market for some flashlights. I want a few of various sizes. Pocket/EDC, not pocket emergency household style, and blinding daylight style search and rescue.

I know now you can buy mostly all flashlights with rechargeable batteries.

What do you use? What do you think is most reliable? Pros vs Cons

Please list your favorite brands.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Batteries go bad. Some sooner than others, but they all do.
Changing batteries in a rechargeable, if even possible, is a major pain.
My best flashlights are Mag Light, and an LED model similar to mag light marketed by Duracell.

Always replaceable batteries because you're never without light as long as you can get to the nearest gas station should your current stash of batteries run out. You have to recharge the rechargeable flashlights every few months, which you’ll forget to and then regret it when you absolutely need light, and then have to recharge them when they run out. You can always stockpile extra batteries. I like Mag Light.

Everyday around the house: AA or AAA battery (NiMH). I keep 12-24 on hand, ready to go for Gaming remotes and flashlights.

Camping: 18650 usb rechargeable battery. I keep 2 extra on hand, in addition to whatever is in the flashlights. Most of the ones I have now, have the USB plug in the battery so no special charger is needed.

All of my flashlights have removable batteries.

I don't care for the USB port on the actual flashlight as it's one more place for water to get in or gunked up with dirt and debris. In addition to not being easily replaced when they eventually go bad. Some of my AA and CR123 Fenix lights are 15y old and still work perfectly.

Fenix & Streamlight are my go--to brands.

Last edited:
I have found that as far as and EDC goes I'm only willing to carry what I won't notice is even there. So I have a Lumintop Tool 2.0 clipped into my back pocket all day on work days or whenever I go out basically. Anything bigger would be too big for me to EDC. It puts out 650 Lumens (max) with a rechargeable 14500 cell in it but can also use regular AA cells as well but with less output of course. I use it more than all my other lights combined because it's always with me and it's more than bright enough for most occasions. One other deal breaker for me and an EDC light is that it has a tail clicky switch. You might not think it matters but fumbling around in the dark feeling for that darned side switch that barely sticks out from the side of the flashlight is way more trouble than it should be. Being able to just grab it from your pocket, wrap your fist around it and hit that tail switch with your thumb is obviously the way the universe meant for a proper torch to be used. Besides, you look so much more um, capable with the light coming out of your fist than you do with the traditional Horror movie victim grip.:001_cool: There are so many 14500/AA lights out there. I would definitely consider one with a tail switch and that can use both kinds of batteries because why not.

For around the house I have lights that use 18650, 26650 and 21700 cells. These will get you some serious brightness putting out from 1000 to 6000 lumens or more. My bat signal/search light is an Astrolux MF01S that puts out 15,000 lumens, until it gets too hot and steps down. Haven't had many occasions to use it really but it is fun to have now and then.

In the car I have a Fenix 14500/AA that has a usb charging port on it. I can just leave it in the car and charge it up with a usb cable now and then to keep it ready.

Most of my lights are several years old at this point and I know the tech has moved on to better and brighter LEDs so it's hard for me to recommend many current best models. I have had good luck with Fenix, Lumintop, Zebra, Thrunite and Olight flashlights. I have also heard negatives about all of them, about every brand really.

If you're looking for serious brightness you will need an LED torch that uses lithium-ion rechargeable cells. If you aren't familiar with them you do need to read up on them because they can be very dangerous if used improperly or if they are of poor quality. For Li-ion I stick to cells made by Panasonic, Samsung and Sony. Haven't been burned yet.

I also have a hurricane lantern like the one I used to use in the pitch dark old barn to milk Bossy the cow when I was a kid back in the day so I guess I better check the whale oil lamp box as well.
Feuerhand Hurricane lamp.jpg

for key chain lights, all our sets have the olight i1r2 or something, usb c chargeable, plenty bright for putzing around. Pocket light/backpack light I have streamlight micro streams and an ark field pro (olight) I charge them whenever but at least when the time changes. No issues with any of the lights so far other than the keychain lights getting beat up And worn looking.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I prefer replaceable batteries. I also keep a Running Snail emergency radio handy. Has a flashlight, AM/FM/NOAA. Hand crank, solar, or AAA batteries. Ya' never know when stuff's gonna' go sideways.

for around the house I have various maglights with led conversions, streamlight lanterns and some olight and streamlight headlamps. All the handhelds are kept with rechargeable AA eneloop or D tenergy batteries. For the few outages we have, I’ve been lucky that they are ready with enough juice to last the outage 1-2 days and really for putzing around. I’m not using them 24hrs a day and all are pretty much on a low setting when used.

The headlamps are strictly rechargeable, olight and streamlights. I think I have two preruns and a couple of streamlight something or others. These have become my most favorite lights to use for almost anything. I look for my headlamp more than a handheld.

For my “search and rescue” lights, I have way too many, majority are older surefires and a couple of streamlights. X300 on my bedside tools. Streamlight stinger (rechargeable) and an M3 with led conversion cr123 rechargeable, a streamlight that is bright as the sun, I didn’t need but was on sale also a rechargeable. And a bunch of other stuff I have stored away.

All my rechargeable stuff gets recharged when ever I get bored or have been playing around with a light, at a minimum every daylight savings change. I use a nightcore charger that can handle the AA, cr123 and the 18650 and anything in between. The D rechargeable from tenergy(?) I bought their charger because the batteries didn’t fit the nightcore.

The non replaceable batteries for the headlamps I feel I have gotten my monies worth from them as much as they are used. When they are finally dead I won’t be too upset.

The only downside to the rechargeables I see is the recharge time for the AAs a few hours sometime “over night” as I charge them before bed. The others especially the D will need to charge overnight and sometimes the 18650s.

The streanlight stinger has its own battery and charger. This is the only battery I’ve needed to replace multiple times through out it’s life of probably close to 10 years. I tend to charge this light every 3 months and use it for a bit before charging just to drain some energy from it. Every few years it’s a new battery because it just won’t hold a long charge anymore. It would get down to 10-15 minutes of use versus the 1hour+ that I’m used too.

Oh a plus side of the rechargeable AA is that you can buy adapters that can use them in C and D size also. They last surprisingly long for the lanterns that take a D battery. I bought the actual D sized batteries for longer run times.

I always have some regular batteries on hand just in case.

Edit to add: when I can I always look for lithium for their longer shelf life.

I use both.

My rechargeable lights are primarily either 18650 or 16340, and I can always swap a CR123A for the 16340. I prefer unregulated batteries and remove them to charge.

Around the house, in my car, and EDC, I'm most comfortable with disposable alkaline batteries for availability in an emergency, and keep a nice supply of disposable lithium batteries on hand.

I guess using rechargeable batteries is my (miniscule) contribution to the planet, but in a SHTF situation, I'm all in on disposable batteries...and I like that disposable lithium batteries have a decade-long (or longer) shelf life.

so you mean for example a AA rechargeable battery?
Yes, though I was mistaken when saying AA when it is actually AAA. The flashlight and battery are ~10 years old and this battery might have been recharged over a 100 times, but that is difficult to say for sure since I was also swapping between a couple of batteries over the years. In the last year or so it seems like the battery does not last as long between recharging and it does not get as bright as before, but still usable for basic tasks. I suspect it could use a fresh battery but I am also thinking this is a great excuse to look for a new mini flashlight. This is a modest flashlight compared to what most EDC, but it has held up well.

Fenix E01.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The good thing is that solar can always recharge simple flashlight battery needs. I have an Anker three-panel charger that can be attached to your pack while hiking. Anker stuff is well-made. Eneloops of course rock too, though I admit to using the azon AAs.

Pretty sure I have a USB charger for 18650 ... :c2: Better go look.

AA

Lots of flashlights here, mostly stream light and mag. I will add our experience with 18650 and energizer rechargeable are excellent. The dozen other brands on amazon have been trash.

Recommendations for AA and AAA rechargeables?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I used to carry lights with the "commonly available" 123 lithium batteries. One time I was in a rural area and the lithium batteries died. I went to pick up some "readily available" lithiums and.....

None to be found. Not at Homeland grocery store, Wallyworld, or anywhere else in town. It would be a two hour round trip to a major metro area to find some. Since then I have been carrying Mag lights (you choose the flavor) with alkaline batteries that you can find at a corner gas station.

And don't give me the "you need to carry spare batteries and a charger". That is crap...sometime you are going to get caught with your pants down and have to deal with what you can find.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lots of flashlights here, mostly stream light and mag. I will add our experience with 18650 and energizer rechargeable are excellent. The dozen other brands on amazon have been trash.

Recommendations for AA and AAA rechargeables?
Eneloops are considered the go-to. I haven't had issues with Amazon's AA or AAA either (though the latter is for TV remotes. I'd not depend on AAA for anything other than novelty or keychain lights).

AA

Top Bottom