What's new

First timer with a late 40s Gillette Super Speed... didn't bleed to death.

I have been lurking on Badger & Blade for a while before jumping in for my first double-edge shave - first I'd like to offer a thank you to all for the helpful advice and encouragement I found here...

My setup:
Gillette Super Speed - late 40's model, with notch
Derby Extra blade
Proraso White Pre Shave
Cremo Cooling with Menthol Shave Cream
HemoStop stick
Alum block
Nivea after shave balm (alcohol free)

All-in-all, not too bad (I don't think). Had one pretty decent weeper on my upper lip (not where I'd expected to nick myself, but what the heck did I know?), and a couple of other pretty minor nicks. Only a one-pass shave with a couple of pick-ups - don't really want/need the BBS shave, so one pass was fine, and is likely what I will stick with going forward.

I know I violated a couple of cardinal rules that I already knew about thanks to this site (why would I do these things knowing they were wrong?)... I went over the same turf a couple/few times without re-lathering, and was a little loose in maintaining the proper angle throughout... I think I did an okay job with light/no pressure, and with staying with the grain. I do have a pretty good blotchy patch of burn, but only on my chin.

Questions:

Was using Cremo a mistake, instead of a better shaving soap?

Was the Super Speed a good choice? I have my eye on a Jagger DE89 and a RazoRock Mamba, and I do like the thought of a little more weight and a slightly longer handle...

Was the Derby Extra a good blade choice and is it a good setup with the Super Speed?

Today was probably only the second time in almost 2 years where I shaved my face clean - I have had a 2-3mm stubble beard all during this time. I shaved off what was probably 3mm of stubble today. Was this too abrupt a shock to my skin? Did I try to take off too much beard?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on products, techniques -- anything you think would help.

I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and I am determined to stick with it and improve my technique...

Thanks for listening, and glad to be here on the site.

Welcome!

Cremo is pretty good. Slick. Like you said, you need to re-lather before going over an area again.

The SS is a great choice for learning. Maybe even forever, it's up to you. Get used to the SS for a while and work on technique before you start buying/trying more razors. Don't worry, the razors and the RAD will be there when you're ready to move on.

Blades are very much a YMMV thing. Lots of people don't like Derby's, but some swear by them. I recommend a sampler. tryablade.com has a great DE sampler.

I don't think you tried to take off too much at once. Just take it easy. Take your time. No pressure. Enjoy yourself.

Welcome! Nice kit as well. The Super Speed is an excellent first razor. I shaved with a DE89 clone for almost a year before moving on to vintage Gillettes and prefer the latter. I say stick with the Derby for a bit and see how you like them (one shave is not enough to make an opinion). I have had great shaves from Cremo so I say stick with it for a bit. The most important thing is to keep things simple at first until you get your technique down and enjoy your shaves. Your face will get used to shaving the more you do it. Also, make sure to map your beard as well and keep to with the grain passes until you get the hang of the razor. And lastly, the alum block will let you know where you applied too much pressure!

From what I've read here, and from my own experience with my '53 Super Speed, it is a fine razor. I've never used Cremo, or Derby blades, so I can't venture an opinion. As for the 2-3 mm stubble, I'm not sure how long that is. I haven't skipped shaving for more than 48 hours since I started DE shaving, so I don't know about anything longer. But I almost always shave after a hot shower and try to let the cream soak into the beard before applying the blade, and so I don't have too much trouble.

But if you did as well as you say on your first attempt at DE shaving, that's to be applauded. And you should only get better with practice.

Welcome!

Cremo is pretty good. Slick. Like you said, you need to re-lather before going over an area again.

The SS is a great choice for learning. Maybe even forever, it's up to you. Get used to the SS for a while and work on technique before you start buying/trying more razors. Don't worry, the razors and the RAD will be there when you're ready to move on.

Blades are very much a YMMV thing. Lots of people don't like Derby's, but some swear by them. I recommend a sampler. tryablade.com has a great DE sampler.

I don't think you tried to take off too much at once. Just take it easy. Take your time. No pressure. Enjoy yourself.
Thanks! And yes, I will wait a while before jumping in on another razor. New sets of irons haven't improved my golf game, so same should apply here, I guess...

I have a '56 Super Speed that I inherited from my grandfather a few months ago. I love it. It's a fairly mild razor, but cuts closely and effectively with each pass. Prior to using the SS, I'd been shaving with the VDH razor that I started DE shaving with a few years ago. My advice would be to stick with the SS for a while and learn it. Use it with different blades and soaps. Like you, I had early thoughts of acquiring new razors to experiment, but under the advice of some B&B members, I stuck with the VDH to improve my technique. Had I not inherited the SS, I'd still have just the VDH.

It's like golf - new clubs don't make a better golfer. In shaving, a new razor doesn't always equal a better shave. True, you may find over time that different razors produce different results, but the fundamentals of using them don't change all that much. Your technique still has to be good.

Welcome! Nice kit as well. The Super Speed is an excellent first razor. I shaved with a DE89 clone for almost a year before moving on to vintage Gillettes and prefer the latter. I say stick with the Derby for a bit and see how you like them (one shave is not enough to make an opinion). I have had great shaves from Cremo so I say stick with it for a bit. The most important thing is to keep things simple at first until you get your technique down and enjoy your shaves. Your face will get used to shaving the more you do it. Also, make sure to map your beard as well and keep to with the grain passes until you get the hang of the razor. And lastly, the alum block will let you know where you applied too much pressure!
Thanks very much - yes, the alum block stung, particularly on the chin - and good to know the issues aren't because of the razor!

From what I've read here, and from my own experience with my '53 Super Speed, it is a fine razor. I've never used Cremo, or Derby blades, so I can't venture an opinion. As for the 2-3 mm stubble, I'm not sure how long that is. I haven't skipped shaving for more than 48 hours since I started DE shaving, so I don't know about anything longer. But I almost always shave after a hot shower and try to let the cream soak into the beard before applying the blade, and so I don't have too much trouble.

But if you did as well as you say on your first attempt at DE shaving, that's to be applauded. And you should only get better with practice.
Thanks! Definitely have some things to improve on going forward - practice, practice, practice!

I have a '56 Super Speed that I inherited from my grandfather a few months ago. I love it. It's a fairly mild razor, but cuts closely and effectively with each pass. Prior to using the SS, I'd been shaving with the VDH razor that I started DE shaving with a few years ago. My advice would be to stick with the SS for a while and learn it. Use it with different blades and soaps. Like you, I had early thoughts of acquiring new razors to experiment, but under the advice of some B&B members, I stuck with the VDH to improve my technique. Had I not inherited the SS, I'd still have just the VDH.

It's like golf - new clubs don't make a better golfer. In shaving, a new razor doesn't always equal a better shave. True, you may find over time that different razors produce different results, but the fundamentals of using them don't change all that much. Your technique still has to be good.
Funny - we're on the same page with the golf equipment analogy - will stick with the SS and get things figured out... thanks!

Welcome! The Superspeed is an excellent shaver and is very well regraded among the B&B community as you see. When I began my own DE shaving journey I used Derby blades and used the same kit for about 6 to 8 weeks doing only one pass WTG shaves. You will notice improvements in your technique as you practice and gain experience. Carry on and have fun with it! :thumbup1:

Welcome! The Superspeed is an excellent shaver and is very well regraded among the B&B community as you see. When I began my own DE shaving journey I used Derby blades and used the same kit for about 6 to 8 weeks doing only one pass WTG shaves. You will notice improvements in your technique as you practice and gain experience. Carry on and have fun with it! :thumbup1:
Thanks, Phil! Appreciate the encouragement and advice!

Funny - we're on the same page with the golf equipment analogy - will stick with the SS and get things figured out... thanks!

I think that's the way to go. Comparatively, I actually feel like my VDH is more aggressive than my SS. In that sense, the SS is a great razor to master technique with and continue to work on things like your blade angle and pressure.

Top Bottom