What's new

first time homeowner need advice

Not many people know that Speed Queen STILL makes a top-loading automatic that is made the way they used to be made---and is favored by commercial laundromats. Solid and reliable. Parts easily available.

I personally have an "old style" Maytag---the very last model before Maytag went to Whirlpool and self-destructed. I nurse it like a baby. The one I had previous to it (exactly the same!) lasted me 27 years. If this thing ever dies, I will get a Speed Queen. I actually have thought about buying the Speed Queen now---while they are still available--as insurance.

Appliances in general are a mess, but nothing matches the sorry state of clothes washing machines. They have "locking lids"----so that you cannot see the absolutely FEEBLE agitation motion. I don't know anyone who owns a recently purchased machine that is happy with it.

I also own the last model Maytag wringer washer that was made. It's washed many dozens of diapers... and even though we are not churning out children these days, I refuse to part with it.

Appliances in general are a mess, but nothing matches the sorry state of clothes washing machines. They have "locking lids"----so that you cannot see the absolutely FEEBLE agitation motion. I don't know anyone who owns a recently purchased machine that is happy with it.

What do you mean by locking lid? There are some models now with glass lids. The sales guy specifically told me it's possible to open the lid and add clothes or detergent mid cycle which is an advantage of the top loaders.

My GE top load washer has a magnetic sensor. I can open the lid in the middle of a cycle, but everything stops when I do that.

morgantruce. ... you say you have a wringer dryer? I thought only the Amish used them now.

I might be tempted to try a washer with a glass lid----but only if they offered a replacement steel lid. What ever is wrong with modern washing machines, the novelty of a glass lid isn't going to solve the problem. People who have the latest round of machines tell me that they simply don't get clothes clean.

Be a little wary of people who have recently made a purchase. All too often they want to give themselves a pat on the back for making a wise decision (buying the most highly recommended machine.) It takes some time and honesty to realize you've got a turkey.

-----------

It's been many, many years since I've been in a laundromat. (I associate going to those places as setting yourself up for a bout of severe depression.) I remember putting a load in a machine... and then pausing before taking the shirt off my back to add to the load. Ahhh.... living close to the edge. It's been almost 20 years since I spent a year on board a boat with my family. During that time, I went to a laundromat ONE time.... and got so depressed.... I happily went back to scrubbing the family wash by hand in the cockpit. I digress.

But I would recommend finding a laundromat that has Speed Queen machines. Speak to the owner; he probably has long experience with the brand.

morgantruce. ... you say you have a wringer dryer? I thought only the Amish used them now.

$il_fullxfull.313950433.jpg

I have a wringer WASHER... It agitates like crazy... and for as long as you wish. It has a wringer that gets a lot of moisture out of the clothes---but not nearly as much as the spin cycle of an automatic. For years I had a wringer washer AND an automatic washer---that I used JUST for it's spin cycle. We were living on a homestead something like the Amish----off grid, but with a generator to run big things like washing machines. We used solar power for all smaller loads and tools.

Now I'm living in the city. In my basement are two automatic machines, the trusty old wringer machine, and a gas dryer... but the basement is so incredibly bone dry, there are clothes lines strung. I hang a load of wash (in the basement---no sun!) and 2 or 3 hours later it is almost bone dry. Pop it in the drier for a five minute fluff---and I've lowered my natural gas bill significantly. Yeah, I'm a little weird... but have had lots of practice getting here.

Last edited:
I have a wringer WASHER... It agitates like crazy... and for as long as you wish. It has a wringer that gets a lot of moisture out of the clothes---but not nearly as much as the spin cycle of an automatic. For years I had a wringer washer AND an automatic washer---that I used JUST for it's spin cycle. We were living on a homestead something like the Amish----off grid, but with a generator to run big things like washing machines. We used solar power for all smaller loads and tools.

Now I'm living in the city. In my basement are two automatic machines, the trusty old wringer machine, and a gas dryer... but the basement is so incredibly bone dry, there are clothes lines strung. I hang a load of wash (in the basement---no sun!) and 2 or 3 hours later it is almost bone dry. Pop it in the drier for a five minute fluff---and I've lowered my natural gas bill significantly. Yeah, I'm a little weird... but have had lots of practice getting here.
Aaaah, yes. The joys of simple living. Next time you need to replace your appliances, you can always take it down another notch.
https://www.lehmans.com/p-5351-lehmans-tin-washboards.aspx

Lehman's is an interesting catalog. They cater to the Amish community and feature a lot of items you just can't find anywhere else.
Their prices are a bit high for some things, but considering that they are a unique source, I guess they can get away with it.
I mean reallly, who else is going to sell you a propane-powered refrigerator?

Not many people know that Speed Queen STILL makes a top-loading automatic that is made the way they used to be made---and is favored by commercial laundromats. Solid and reliable. Parts easily available.
I've heard you can get a Speed Queen dealer to order these without the coin operation system. A couple of people I work with have run these for 10 years with no problems.

What year is that wringer Maytag??

My LG gets clothes pretty clean I guess but it seems to take FOREVER...a couple hours for a load, maybe. It's also hard to load correctly so it doesn't unbalance due to heavy towels in the load. Other than that, it's pretty sweet.

I've heard you can get a Speed Queen dealer to order these without the coin operation system. A couple of people I work with have run these for 10 years with no problems.

I can't seem to find a local dealer that stocks these. They can order them, but I can't go see one. It is also ironical that consumer reports rates them pretty low.
>>>
HighsUsing the Regular cycle the:
• Vibration is excellent.

LowsUsing the Regular cycle the:
• Washing performance is just good.
• Energy efficiency is just good.
• Water efficiency is just poor.
• Capacity is just good.
• Gentleness is just good.
• Noise is just good.

>>>

(This is for an earlier model than the one currently listed on the speedqueen website.)

Even more ironic is that the user reviews for the washer on the CR website are stellar, much better than the reviews of CR's top rated washers!

Aaaah, yes. The joys of simple living. Next time you need to replace your appliances, you can always take it down another notch.
https://www.lehmans.com/p-5351-lehmans-tin-washboards.aspx

Lehman's is an interesting catalog. They cater to the Amish community and feature a lot of items you just can't find anywhere else.
Their prices are a bit high for some things, but considering that they are a unique source, I guess they can get away with it.
I mean reallly, who else is going to sell you a propane-powered refrigerator?

I already have the washboards, a HAND-wringer, and double tubs. They DID sell me a propane operated refrigerator---a dandy Servel---that kept things cool for many years. I think Lehman's Hardware built a new wing on their store.... just from my business.

It is also ironical that consumer reports rates them.....

My whole life I've made it a point of collecting things that work well, are basic and easy to fix, and last a long time. I've had very few disappointments. For the most part, Consumer Reports chooses criteria that matter little to me. They rate brands made by companies which have raked consumers for years and years. They rate things for the average consumer... and I have never been one. They seem more interested in covering what sells the most rather than what is the most durable, solid performer.

I do certainly like their business model... but recognize that it depends upon selling thousands and thousands of subscriptions to average consumers.

What is everyone's opinion of these new-fangled "Smart" appliances? Consumer Reports did a big article on these in June issue.

You can get a WiFi enabled Crock-pot. A front-door lock that will recognize your Bluetooth phone and unlock itself. A baby-monitor that you can monitor from anywhere in the world via a Smartphone app.

I can see a WiFi thermostat, so I can check on the temperature at home when I'm at work and adjust it remotely. I'd also like to have something that tells me if I've left my garage-door open, which is something that always nags me when I away from home.

Do we really need these things? Or is it too much?

What is everyone's opinion of these new-fangled "Smart" appliances? Consumer Reports did a big article on these in June issue.

You can get a WiFi enabled Crock-pot. A front-door lock that will recognize your Bluetooth phone and unlock itself. A baby-monitor that you can monitor from anywhere in the world via a Smartphone app.

I can see a WiFi thermostat, so I can check on the temperature at home when I'm at work and adjust it remotely. I'd also like to have something that tells me if I've left my garage-door open, which is something that always nags me when I away from home.

Do we really need these things? Or is it too much?

...a solution in search of a problem.

Morgantruce nailed it. whole point of a crock pot is to let it go for a long time (set it and forget it). My washer and dryer are minimalist machines that I have owned for over 15 years without major repairs (the plastic gears for the agitator, and another plastic part near the motor, less than $100.00 total). all the added gizmos and whizbangs just inflate the cost and the repair bills.

Long story short, my repair guy once told me to hang onto my older appliances (including furnace and A/C units) for as long as I possibly can. He is of the opinion that what is being built today is simply disposable CRAP that you will be lucky to get 5-10 years service out of. That is a pretty pathetic state of affairs if you ask me. My Father owned his home for 46 years, and only replaced the water heater when it sprung a leak. He figured after 40 years of work, it deserved to retire.

Long story short, my repair guy once told me to hang onto my older appliances (including furnace and A/C units) for as long as I possibly can. He is of the opinion that what is being built today is simply disposable CRAP

I've been told that a number of times by people who work for the manufacturers of generator sets, appliances, furnaces, and farm equipment. They know that what they are seeing now is not as good as it was just a few short years ago.

I didn't need to be told that by any manufacturer's employees. It's plain to see the quality of products has taken a nosedive over the last 20 years. It's all pretty much engineered to fail and be replaced. It's really a PITA. :mad3:

Maybe THAT is why some of us like Straights . . . built to LAST . . . heck OUTLAST, if properly cared for, the purchaser. :001_cool:

Been in my home for 19 years. Buy quality -- which is not always the most expensive or the flashiest -- and you'll have them for a long time. Find an independent appliance store that's been in business for decades. (the one I go to is 3rd generation). They don't stay in business that long and compete against the big orange behemoth chain store by selling crap or steering their customers wrong. Yes, they're probably slightly more expensive, but you're paying for knowledge and experience.

Also, I don't get the hate for the front loader washers -- I've had two. They're the most popular style around the world. I'm not even sure you can buy top loaders anywhere but North America. Front loaders use about 1/3 of the water and clean clothes better. Leave the door cracked and it won't get moldy.

I didn't see Amana products in any of the above, unless I missed them. I've had an Amana refrigerator since 1998, an Amana Radarange microwave since 1984! My dad used to work for them in the Amana colonies in Iowa back in the day. They have a good reputation. Have you considered them?

Been in my home for 19 years. Buy quality -- which is not always the most expensive or the flashiest -- and you'll have them for a long time. Find an independent appliance store that's been in business for decades. (the one I go to is 3rd generation). They don't stay in business that long and compete against the big orange behemoth chain store by selling crap or steering their customers wrong. Yes, they're probably slightly more expensive, but you're paying for knowledge and experience.

Many years ago I was shopping for a vacuum cleaner. I didn't like any of the stuff being sold by the big box stores and came across Sebo. I found a small mom & pop store that sold them and bought from them. It cost about 3x what a normal brand of vacuum cleaner would cost. Best decision as the vacuum cleaner still works great. That store is no longer in business.

I've tried looking around for such a store that sells appliances but I have not been able to find one. Most of the smaller stores are still "corporate owned," and in fact one of them is owned by Best Buy.

I've also tried looking for better brands of washers and dryers, but I have not come across anything other than speedqueen.

In the end I may just settle for a whirlpool or LG.

Top Bottom