What's new

first time homeowner need advice

I helped my dad pick a washing machine, this past Thanksgiving during the Black Friday sales. A month or so before, I began to look online and then went to Best Buy and Home Depot to see in person the different models and get advice from the sales people. Here's how I narrowed it down.

*I ruled out front loaders right away because of the potential mold and/or smell issues.
*I used Consumer Reports online, looked at the top rated ones, and using our budget of around $500 narrowed it down to just a couple of choices.
*My dad told me the repair guy that would come fix his old washer told him he finds more issues with the push button controls vs the older turn knobs. I'm not sure how accurate that is or to what extent but we found a model using the older type controls and it's also less of a learning curve for my dad.
*I noticed on Best Buy and Home Depot's website that this particular Whirlpool model was eligible for a Energy Star rebate, so be sure to look into that as it varies from state to state. I used that to help offset the cost for the extended warranty.

Don't discount Craigslist for appliances either. I got an awesome Bosch dishwasher for $100 off of Craigslist when our last one went kaput.
I definitely agree, especially for top loading washer and dryers. So many people are getting rid of perfectly good top load machines just because the wife really wants the nice shiny front loaders.

You're a new home owner. Buying the appliances is dependent on your cash flow. As a bachelor, I would cruise scratch and dent sales. These allow you to get name brand merch for very good pricing. And, sometimes, the defect is so minimal as to make you feel like you STOLE the thing. We got a Kenmore chest freezer (22 cu ft) many moons ago for $100. List was over $500, and the only thing wrong with it was a teeny tiny chip in the enamel surface . . . at the back . . . an inch from the bottom.

I would buy a top load washer as the maintenance costs will be lower than on a front loader (think parts availability, and length of time on the market). Plenty of small businesses to take care of this for you. Do NOT buy extended warranties.

+1

I usually don't go for extended warranties, but a close friend of mine insisted I get one, especially because of all the electronics in the appliances these days.

The only things I have gotten extended warranties for in the past are computers and cars and at least with my Apple and old BMW (several repairs to both), they more than paid for themselves. With the Honda it was a total waste of money...not a single claim.

My comment about warranties. I had a very wise and very wealthy faculty mentor in college. His advice was the same on warranties and insurance. There are times when you definitely need it (life insurance for a married father of a single income home). However, keep in mind that buying either is basically placing a lose-lose bet. You place your bet by buying the warranty. If something goes wrong and you actually need to use it, then you've lost out on both the money you spent on the warranty, as well as any deductible or service fees to use it. If you don't need it, then you're still out the money you spent on the warranty.

His recommendation for you, given that you are buying multiple things at once, would be to not get the warranties. Instead, pick the most expensive item in the bunch. Divide the total cost over a course of 5 years and pay into your own "warranty" fund every month. If something breaks in that window, then you have the money already there to get it fixed or replaced. If nothing breaks in that 5 year window, then great, you have some extra money that otherwise would have been spent on warranties.

Speed Queen washers are expensive but worth it. Made by good union workers in Wisconsin.

There are also some GE products made by good union workers in Quebec which aren't a lot more costly that the Asian garbage.

Congrats on the new home! I feel for you on buying the new appliances, it can be a daunting task. One piece of advice as a recent new homeowner myself, whether you get the extended warranties or not, is to start you a small "slush" fund for repairs. Doesn't have to be a lot, just add to it on a consistant basis. Reality is that most brands mentioned here are good brands, but at some point most good brands might need repairs, so better to be prepared than not. Just my two cents....

When shopping for dishwashers, take your widest and tallest glasses with you. And one of your regular dinner plates. About half the dishwashers I evaluated for my new house didn't make the cut because I couldn't get the dishes I use to fit. A lot of the manufacturers seem to think everyone drinks from 6 oz glasses and eats off wafer-thin china. My Crate & Barrel Otis glasses (quite tall) and Fiestaware plates (fairly thick) defeated a lot of the contenders.

Consider the time you expect to be in the house and the potential resale value. Buy appliances that, at the very least, will match the rest of the home in value. I.e. if you have a high end home with granite counter tops then matching decor appliances from high end manufacturers should be what you get. Buying expensive stuff in a low value home won't help you sell the home, but of course if you will be there for a long time and get use from the appliances then it is a moot point.

Look at the decibel rating of the dishwasher, especially if it will be located in an area you can't isolate from gathering areas or soundproof yourself. I went from an old noisebucket to a 44 dB machine and it is WONDERFUL. Damn thing is so quiet it has a light to remind you that it is actually running! Totally changed how and when we would run it, from middle of the night/when we were gone to middle of the day during a party (express wash cycle) because it wouldn't affect conversation in the breakfast nook right next to it.

If you get front loading washing machines, just know those little storage bin things they are often displayed on cost extra, a few hundred extra cause you need/want a matching one for the dryer. And you can usually swap the sides the doors open on so you can place them next to each other in any order and not have the doors prevent easy transition of laundry. There are also santizing soaps and modes on newer washing machines to prevent mold build-up (and use the HE detergent if you get a HE washer). The salesman should remind you, but often you have to buy extra installation hardware (hoses and the like) for washers and dryers, not all come with them. Try to keep the dryer vent as short as possible to the wall and with a few kinks as possible (solid metal tubing instead of the flex tubing if possible) to keep lint build-up to a minimum and allow the dryer to cool quickly. I have a post-less top loading washing machine and like it quite a bit as there is no post for things to get wrapped around but I don't have the issues a front loader might have. My dryer has a removable rack that allows me to dry shoes without having them tumble around. Also nice.

Are you single, live alone, and plan to stay that way?

Most appliances are scaled for a family of four. You don't need that much capacity. A 25 cu. ft. French Door refrigerator will be mostly empty a large part of the time, and its more expensive to run an empty fridge than a full one. You can fill up the empty space with water bottles to help with the efficiency. A fridge of 18 cu. ft. is all you need. That's what I have and even when I had a roommate here there was plenty of space leftover. If you can find a good deal on a 14 cu. ft. fridge, even better. These are generally slimmer and will save space in a small kitchen.

When you buy a new refrigerator, let it sit in place for 24 hours before you plug it in. Make sure its level. Wipe down the interior with some vinegar to get rid of that plastic smell. After it sits for a day, plug it in and let it run for another 24 hours before you put your food in, to give it time for the interior tempt to stabilize. Measure it with a separate thermometer to make sure it is what it's supposed to be.

For a washer-dryer, look at a one-piece stacked unit. Top-load washer on the bottom, dryer on the top. Kenmore makes a popular one that's highly rated, about $950 last time I looked. You can get a front-load washer and a matched dryer and put one on top of the other, but that will be much more expensive, and you're back to dealing with the front-load mold and mildew and funky odors issues. No matter what brand of washer/dryer you get, make darn sure they are sitting on a solid surface and take the time to level them out. This will minimize the vibration and noise problems. And spend the extra $20 for a drip-pan to put underneath. Don't scrimp on the hookup accessories. Buy the best you can find in supply hoses for the washer, check and double check to make sure they don't leak at either end when you install them. You'll thank me 25 years from now when your laundry room hasn't flooded from a defective hose.

In general, you want all of your kitchen appliances to be the same brand and style. Don't mix and match a Kenmore fridge with a Whirlpool dishwasher and an LG stove and a Samsung microwave. It will look odd and make your house harder to sell if it comes to that. Most of the BigBox stores like Home Depot and Best Buys usually have good sales on bundled packages if you buy them all at the same time.

Last edited:
*I used Consumer Reports online, looked at the top rated ones, and using our budget of around $500 narrowed it down to just a couple of choices.
+1 ... I got a subscription to Consumer Reports as soon as I bought my house. Only $26 a year, and if you belong to certain groups (Union Members, AARP, etc.) there are discounted subscriptions. I think mine is $19 a year (through my Union at work) and it has paid for itself many times over.

By consulting CR first, it saves me hundreds of hours of research and thousands of dollars by not buying the poorly-rated items.

You can add the monthly paper version for about $12. I have that also. And they have a free app so you can carry the ratings with you when you go shopping, but the mobile app is not as detailed as the full-blown online website.

CR also send out a lot of free newsletters you can subscribe to that give realistic advice about health care, retirement planning, finances, taxes, etc.

I have had a front loader since 2004, it finally broke a few month back, I never once had an issue with mold. Now on the new one, I cannot say if it will be a problem since it is already broke and has been sitting over a month in my garage waiting on proper repair.

As far as brands, LG is supposed to be one of the better appliances on the street currently. This is coming from a builder friend of mine who I often go with to pick out appliances for his new homes. His brother is a repair tech and said LG has the lowest number of repair calls and issues across the board. But they are a bit interesting with the blue interiors. : )

As far as brands, LG is supposed to be one of the better appliances on the street currently. This is coming from a builder friend of mine who I often go with to pick out appliances for his new homes. His brother is a repair tech and said LG has the lowest number of repair calls and issues across the board. But they are a bit interesting with the blue interiors. : )
+1 ... I have an LG flat-screen TV and I'm really impressed with their electronic products.

When it comes to household appliances, LG is near the top of the list for both performance and price. But if I were building my dream house, where cost is no object and I just wanted the best that (a lot of) money can buy, I would go LG all the way.

They used to make a unified washer/dryer that I lusted over for years. It has both wash and dry functions in one drum, so you can toss in your laundry, set the controls, walk away and its done in a couple of hours. This type of appliance is more popular in Europe where the apartments are cramped for space, but it is starting to gain market share in America, where we are hooked on convenience and automation.

Thanks for all the advice. After reading reviews and visiting some stores I'm more confused than ever.

Most likely I will go with LG for the refrigerator.

For W&D, at least for the top loaders, the LGs have good ratings, but when I saw them in the store, the door of the dryer didn't feel that good. Too tight and the handle appeared somewhat flimsy. Also many of them have chrome accents which are a magnet for finger prints.

I am not able to find a local store that stocks speedqueen, and I'm hesitant to make a purchase like this without seeing the device in person. Also those are old school with an agitator.

At best buy, the sales guy was all praise for LG, but at Lowes, the sales guy recommended Whirlpool over LG.

At best buy, the sales guy was all praise for LG, but at Lowes, the sales guy recommended Whirlpool over LG.
While its a good idea to pick the brains of a retail salesperson, take whatever they recommend with a grain of salt.

Remember that many of these guys are paid on commission and bonuses. They might be pushing one brand over another because there is a current spiff involved, or there may be a sponsored contest by Brand X. They are selling you what THEY want you to buy, not what is in your best interests.

Having been in retail most of my adult life, I can tell you that this happens frequently.

If you haven't made a purchase in 3 months, go back to Best Buy, talk to that same salesperson who praised LG, and I betcha he'll be touting another brand by then. It all depends on which sale will put the most money in his pocket, regardless of what it does to you.

I always consult Consumer Reports first for accurate, unbiased information. Then I go shopping in person so I can see their recommendations in person. Watch the salesman start to sweat when you walk in with a copy of CR in your hands, and you have documentation that contradicts everything he's trying to pitch to you.

When you go shopping for major purchases, don't even look at the price tags, and don't be swayed by sales. Consider the product you want and look at it in the long run.

You'll be living with that refrigerator or washing machine for the next quarter of a century. Buy the one you want, regardless if it is on sale or not. Do your research and calculations and go in there with a mindset of "I want to purchase Brand X, Model 36 in a stainless steel finish so it matches what I already have, or what I will be buying next year."

If Brand Y is currently on sale and you save $200 but wind up owning a piece of crap, that is a false economy. Better to spend more and get good quality than save a little cash up front and regret it.

By all means, shop around for sales and bargains. But don't buy something you don't want just because its on sale.

When you go shopping for major purchases, don't even look at the price tags, and don't be swayed by sales. Consider the product you want and look at it in the long run.

You'll be living with that refrigerator or washing machine for the next quarter of a century. Buy the one you want, regardless if it is on sale or not. Do your research and calculations and go in there with a mindset of "I want to purchase Brand X, Model 36 in a stainless steel finish so it matches what I already have, or what I will be buying next year."

If Brand Y is currently on sale and you save $200 but wind up owning a piece of crap, that is a false economy. Better to spend more and get good quality than save a little cash up front and regret it.

By all means, shop around for sales and bargains. But don't buy something you don't want just because its on sale.

I totally agree with this. Despite there being huge sales because of Memorial day, I'm taking my time. I figure a few hundred over 10 years is not going to matter that much. But I do need to get something before the end of the June because the lease at my apartment runs out and it would be inconvenient to move in without a fridge and washer & dryer.

I get major appliances with the least amount of functions and gizmos on them. Focus on what you use and need. The less complex it is the less likely it will break. I hit up the appliance repair forums online and ask there. Since I do most of the repairs on my own stuff I look for popular reliable models(not necessarily brands) where the parts are common and available. If I do have to fix something then the local parts stores will have it in stock and the part is usually reasonably priced. With Refrigerators I avoid getting models where the ice maker is an optional add on. They always break in my experience and end up taking up freezer space. When the refrigerator is delivered check the seal around the doors very closely before you sign off on anything. I put a bright battery powered lantern inside and look for light leaking out around the seal. Bad door seals are a common issue with new fridges and its not always evident but having a bad seal will burn up electricity, shorten the life of the unit and affect how cold your food keeps. The last fridge I purchased I had to send back twice at delivery because the gasket seal around the door wasn't properly installed and there was a gap.

I don't like front loading washers but if you do have one leaving the door open when not in use and cleaning the washer will eliminate most mold and odor problems. My aunt has a front loader and her husband cleans it monthly by running a "cleaning" cycle with CLR. He cleans the door seal by hand with either bleach or a spray cleaner after the CLR cycle. About every 3 months he uses one of the expensive cleaner packs designed to clean front loaders through it as well. The only difference I noticed between using the CLR and the cleaner package is the cleaner package has a strong "fresh scent" it leaves behind in the washer.

But I do need to get something before the end of the June because the lease at my apartment runs out and it would be inconvenient to move in without a fridge and washer & dryer.
If you haven't found the right appliances by the time you move in, you can get some cheap fill-ins to hold you over while you continue the hunt.

For the refrigerator, you can pick up something from Craigslist for $100 or so. But this may be more trouble than its worth since you have to factor in picking it up and moving it, and the used unit may be dirty or have problems the seller doesn't disclose until its too late.

You can pick up a brand-new dorm-room sized refrigerator/freezer for under $200. About 3.5 cubic feet will be enough for a single person to keep a week's worth of groceries at hand. After you find your dream fridge for the kitchen, you can move this to another room in the house ... You're including a Man-Cave, right?

For laundry, there are numerous options. If you don't want to go to the laundromat every week, check out a device called the Laundry-Pod ... manually operated, fast, efficient, low-cost. Then get a folding clothes rack or string up some rope and let them air-dry overnight.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-P...F8&qid=1433170685&sr=1-1&keywords=laundry+pod

Another good source for clothing care is www.laundry-alternative.com ... I used one of their WonderWashers and a Spin Dryer when I lived in an apartment for 3 years that didn't have facilities. For the money, these can't be beat.

The only thing wrong with these laundry devices is that most of them involve a fair amount of manual labor to get the job done. And they are small capacity, so don't let your dirty laundry pile up all week or you'll spend most of Saturday catching up with cleaning. Better to get in the habit of doing one load every day or every other day when you get home from work. That breaks it up and makes it easier to deal with. About all these machines can handle at one time is 2 pairs of jeans and 2 shirts, or a week's worth of socks and underwear.

After you get the right washer/dryer for permanent installation, you can sell these on CraigsList or give them away to a Goodwill store or a needy college student. My spin-dryer just found a new home with a friend of mine who lives out in the woods far from civilization and needs to keep clean clothes on hand. I no longer have the WonderWasher, but she will be washing the clothes in a 5-gallon bucket using a clean plunger for agitation.

If you haven't found the right appliances by the time you move in, you can get some cheap fill-ins to hold you over while you continue the hunt.

That's a slippery slope. :)

I have so much inertia, it took me 11 years to buy a house since I started looking (because of the bubble, the crash, then what was available following the crash and market dynamics).

If I come up with some contingency plan, there is danger I will put off buying the appliances indefinitely.

I can probably live without these for up to a few weeks, so in that respect, I don't feel pressured. I tend to eat a lot of fresh food anyway, so it will just mean frequent trips to the grocery and piling on at some friends' for laundry.

We have Samsung washer and dryer as well as refrigerator. The washer is an HE top loader and after four years it's been doing pretty well. The only issue I have with the refrigerator is the ice maker simply cannot keep up, and there are only three people in my household. I visited a relative this weekend who had a different Samsung refrigerator, but the same problem.

Top Bottom