What's new

Need a new refrigerator

{snip}
Was looking at new small chest freezers a year ago, the salesman informed us that anything in that size, doesn't matter the brand, all made in China, expect maybe four years then replace because when it then breaks down and it will, they're no parts to had for fixing.

dave
PMFJI...

We just got a small Amana chest freezer, and it's [gasp] made in the USA! :a14:

City water at our homes in Florida is not drinkable (my opinion).

We had the pool restored and when it was filled with city water, it was YELLOW, not clear. The city said it was not safe to swim in it until it was treated. I asked how they thought it was safe to drink if it was not safe to swim in. The silence on the other end of the phone was deafening.

Florida? Does Florida cover more than one aquifer? I've see wells out of one aquifer shared by Florida and Georgia heavy in iron, and that would turn yellowish with a bit of chlorination, and leave brown to orange residue in the filter. I wouldn't want to swim in untreated water, either, due to a nasty amoeba found in Southern still, warm, waters, and pools are exposed to the environment. This critter always leads to terminal illness to the victim, so I'd be treating the water, too, before swimming.

PMFJI...

We just got a small Amana chest freezer, and it's [gasp] made in the USA! :a14:

I think we may have been right at the country of origin threshold with regards to size. The next sizes up from what we set as a maximum were available from N.American plants, we were stuck in the Far East. Still haven't bought but was casting about the other night in response to this thread and found a nice commercial, Made in USA ,in the size we were interested in, was over $2K Cdn.

How big was the Amana, we were after ~5 cubic feet of smaller.

dave

I think we may have been right at the country of origin threshold with regards to size. The next sizes up from what we set as a maximum were available from N.American plants, we were stuck in the Far East. Still haven't bought but was casting about the other night in response to this thread and found a nice commercial, Made in USA ,in the size we were interested in, was over $2K Cdn.

How big was the Amana, we were after ~5 cubic feet of smaller.

dave
The Amana we bought is 9 cubic feet, price US$349. It's model # AQC0902.

They also have the same style in smaller sizes:
  • model AQC0701, 7 cubic feet
  • odel AQC0501, 5.3 cubic feet.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well I bought one on my way home. Without seeing the exact model or the wife with me. Living life on the edge. :)
Thanks everyone for their input here.

I spoke with the little woman the other day about looking at the model I was considering this weekend.
On checking their hours it showed them closed on Sunday in the shop that had them. That's the only day I can get the wife to tag along on a window shopping trip (fun, fun, fun)
So I decided to call in for a look myself on the way home from work.
This place had very little on display and a looked like a lot of repair and resell type stuff. I did not like the feel of the place, so moved to the next shop.
The next shop did not have what I wanted and told me they could not order it. WHAT?!?!? So out the door I go.
Next place had a good range but not what I wanted, walked out of another shop without talking to the salesman, who was giving a customer the sales spin on something.
Last stop had a good range but not the model I wanted. I spoke to the sales man who said no problem ordering in direct especially from Westinghouse. Now that's more like it. He even knocked $200 off the price. SOLD, sold, sold.

Nothing flash, as I kept it simple.528L Stainless Steel Bottom Mount (WBE5314SA) - Westinghouse New Zealand
Westinghouse 528L / 18.6 cu.ft. Bottom mount. Manual temp control but the fridge uses a electronic touch panel control.
Delivery is next Saturday morning. It's the first day of summer here, so looking forwards to getting a beer fridge back in the garage and the bigger fridge in the house.

.....now just to tell the wife. Wish me luck.

westinghouse.png

Repair guy no-showed to fix the Whirlpool range, we rescheduled for today. This morning they call and need a NEW authorization, the one dated for Nov 30 can't be used today. I've been on hold with Whirlpool for 67 minutes at this point ...

I thought I'd add a point for future fridge shoppers to consider. The filters inside the fridge can be insanely expensive. My big GE fridge requires its filter replaced twice a year, at $50 a pop. There's a microchip in the filter, which means I can't just use the similar-sized $15 clone filters. A surprisingly large percentage of the real-estate on the control panel on the front of the unit is dedicated to a display of how many days until I need to replace the filter or (more commonly) how many days overdue I am.

There was one of those Energy Star labels on the fridge at the store, but there should have been a sticker showing that simply owning the thing was gonna run me $100 a year just in filter replacements. GE makes other models that take the cheaper filters. I wish I'd had that info when I was buying.

Repair guy no-showed to fix the Whirlpool range, we rescheduled for today. This morning they call and need a NEW authorization, the one dated for Nov 30 can't be used today. I've been on hold with Whirlpool for 67 minutes at this point ...

The two fridges we've owned have been Kenmores, Sears house brand, Sears Canada ceases to exist shortly so not sure who i'll need to contact when the current fridge breaks down again.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

That sucks, customer service is slipping everywhere.

My new fridge was meant to be delivered on Saturday morning........I waited and waited, yet no call.
I finally rang them at 2:00pm to see if it was going to be late or a no show.
Well the sales guy told me there was a note that the customer requested deliver on the 15th. Yet this was never discussed. I had agreed the 9th and it is also on the receipt. He had the nerve to tell me the date written on the receipt is not what arranges delivery.
I explained the verbal deal and this matched the delivery date on the receipt. When I requested he advise a firm delivery date he could not tell me one.
I told the salesperson. (Insert very firm grumpy tone) This is totally unacceptable and I want a firm delivery date!! :taz:
The salesperson then became very apologetic and promised to follow up with Westinghouse on Monday when they are open, as it had not been delivered to them yet.
Monday morning the salesperson who made the sale rang and we have rescheduled for delivery on my request for Saturday morning. Here's hoping.....

For a variety of reasons, I've refused to do business with Sears for about 25 years. Always preferred KMart over Walmart, now that KMart owns Sears I'm lost.

... and Whirlpool cut me off. Too hot to try again today.

Married 48years and always had Kenmore stuff.. They have went down hill. So, we bought a Samsung double doors with freezer drawers on the bottom. Wife loves it so all is well!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
We bought a new fridge this past summer simply because my wife wanted one. Little did I know it was part of a diabolical plot to replace the dishwasher, microwave, and oven, because they no longer matched. The last piece of the puzzle, a double oven, was installed two weeks ago. Now I can stick my head in one while baking cookies in the other.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
With appliances it is getting very difficult if not impossible to avoid buying crap. I use consumer reports. Not everybody agrees with them but I think it is a step up from gut feel.

As a bean counter . . . er . . . it really is not our fault. It seems that companies have all come to the conclusion that cheap works. There is absolutely no reason why goods produced off shore can't be of fantastic quality. Yet somehow we want a lower sticker price. I really feel this is a failure of our education system or value system. It would be really nice if we would all try to buy things that last so we don't fill landfills as quickly and perhaps leave some resources for generations of people who follow.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I tend to stick with brands that haven't given me problems. I know a data base of one is not sound reasoning, but nothing succeeds like success.

I've been very lucky with appliances.

Most of ours have been around 20-30 years now and still working fine.

I do have the tendency to NOT go main stream. DCS ranges (with iron burners) Asko Dishwasher.

With appliances it is getting very difficult if not impossible to avoid buying crap. I use consumer reports. Not everybody agrees with them but I think it is a step up from gut feel.

As a bean counter . . . er . . . it really is not our fault. It seems that companies have all come to the conclusion that cheap works. There is absolutely no reason why goods produced off shore can't be of fantastic quality. Yet somehow we want a lower sticker price. I really feel this is a failure of our education system or value system. It would be really nice if we would all try to buy things that last so we don't fill landfills as quickly and perhaps leave some resources for generations of people who follow.
In my opinion , the reason we are getting crap is the skewed new compliances that companies are forced to adhere to. Today, there are compliance standards for energy efficiency, pollution & VOC, environmental compliances etc. The are NO compliance requirements for the consumer goods life. In addition, when energy efficiency compliances are calculated, they are not linked with the energy requirements for manufacture of the new or disposal of the old product. The same applies to overall cost. If these additionals are added to the calculation , suddenly the products quality will improve overnight.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Chicken and egg.

If there are to be better rules people need to be educated enough to push to get such rules in place. I'd like to think a more educated public would not buy crap and thereby achieve the same end without creating even more government bureaucracy. It all gets political from here I think so I'll shut up now.

Top Bottom