What's new

Need a new refrigerator

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well more of a want. My beer fridge blew up the other day....... what am I saying, it is a need.
The fridge was old and after having the power returned on after being off all day said enough with a load bang. So I will move the house fridge out to the shed as my beer fridge.
That takes me to my questions.

French doors, double doors single door. What do you guys have and do you find them good or bad?
Water dispencer / ice maker. I sort of want one, it sounds good but the price difference in buying the fridge is out of whack. One place was a extra $900 for the same model that did not have it. Then there is one that is similar but with french doord but only $500 above the base.
I'm not sold on the french doors, nor am I convinced the extra money for cold water from the fridge door is worth that much more. Then again the unit was full price and as I have a bit of time waiting for a deal is OK. With that said Christmas is in summer and the extra fridge space come in handy.

Brands sugestions are welcome but may not be avalible in that model for me here in NZ.
I'm leaning towards getting a Westinghouse again as my current fridge is that brand and still going strong after 16 odd years. Fisher & Pykle would have been my pick some years ago but since they no longer make them in NZ the quality has slipped. I do belive the Westinghouse is still made in Aussie.

Is 16 years pre-computers in everything, if so i'd be very tempted to fix it. We're on our third computer control board, used in multiple models and brands of fridges, four year old fridge. Our first fridge of the same brand went 24 years and all we ever did was replace the light bulb now and again. The compressor died and we thought wouldn't i be nice to have a new fridge... The first service man to come told us he always throws a few of these boards on his truck at the start of a new day.

My 1989 clothes washer gave up the ghost a year, year and a half ago, figured out what the problem was, went to a parts store near me to get thepart, the service man and parts manager's advice was don't ever get rid of the washer, todays products are junk (my noun). Forty dollars for the part and it took just under seven minutes to have the washer back together, take pictures and ready for a load of laundry.

Was looking at new small chest freezers a year ago, the salesman informed us that anything in that size, doesn't matter the brand, all made in China, expect maybe four years then replace because when it then breaks down and it will, they're no parts to had for fixing.

dave

Is 16 years pre-computers in everything, if so i'd be very tempted to fix it. We're on our third computer control board, used in multiple models and brands of fridges, four year old fridge. Our first fridge of the same brand went 24 years and all we ever did was replace the light bulb now and again. The compressor died and we thought wouldn't i be nice to have a new fridge... The first service man to come told us he always throws a few of these boards on his truck at the start of a new day.

My 1989 clothes washer gave up the ghost a year, year and a half ago, figured out what the problem was, went to a parts store near me to get thepart, the service man and parts manager's advice was don't ever get rid of the washer, todays products are junk (my noun). Forty dollars for the part and it took just under seven minutes to have the washer back together, take pictures and ready for a load of laundry.

Was looking at new small chest freezers a year ago, the salesman informed us that anything in that size, doesn't matter the brand, all made in China, expect maybe four years then replace because when it then breaks down and it will, they're no parts to had for fixing.

dave
Got the same advise from my chappie.
Repair, he said, don't replace. The chinese eco friendly 'super efficient' stuff is junk. Won't last even 5 years.
The reason, he says is efficiency & eco standards. There is a minimum efficiency the new products have to reach, but there is no minimum lifetime required.
The end result is equipment that, if you take into account the fact that one will have to replace 4 'new model' units running R134a in the lifetime of one older unit, over time, the older unit is actually more eco friendly ifthe resources used to make the unit are factored in.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The 16 year fridge is still going strong and has dials to adjust the temps. The one that went bang was second hand when I got. I'm guessing it was 16 plus years old then and I've had it for 14 years. So can't compain about a 30 year old fridge.
While looking on the Westinghouse site and some stores on line I noticed what appears to be the same fridge at quick glance but one was electonic controls and the other manual. Funny enough the manual cost more. I may need to look closer at that option. All I need and want is to set the temputure and forget it, as that has worked well for me for years.

On a different item that is old but a keeper. I took my old weedeater in for some repairs years ago. The old guy at the shop said don't let anyone tell you this is rubbish and to buy a new one as this it was made when that comapany was good. Well I had to get a few small things done to it and this young guy told me to not waste my money and get a new one. He was point to the low end of the market weedeaters. I told him what the old guy said from the same shop some years ago......he had no replay. Now I think the weedeater is about 25 years old and still runs like a cut cat. Hmmmm the weedeater may have been older than the young man. :)
I had to get a some new handles for my lawn mower, which is also 25 years old. The wife told me I could get a new mower. I'll keep this going a bit longer thanks. It appears my buy a bigger engine than you need plan is paying itself off.

Last edited:
While looking on the Westinghouse site and some stores on line I noticed what appears to be the same fridge at quick glance but one was electonic controls and the other manual. Funny enough the manual cost more. I may need to look closer at that option. All I need and want is to set the temputure and forget it, as that has worked well for me for years.

Get the manual.
Electronic control(s) on this stuff is designed for a two year lifespan. Replacement cost is a third the price of a new unit, they are not designed to be repairable.
Manual is for decades

How big is your household?

If you're cooking for 6~8 people then a 25cu.ft. model would barely be adequate.
For one or two people, then a 14cu.ft. model is plenty.
But if you're looking for advanced features like french doors and through-the-door ice, then the larger models are a forced choice.

I think my next refrigerator is going to be a counter-depth model. These are shallower and wider, so food will not have a tendency to get pushed to the back of the shelf where it is hard to see and gets forgotten for years.

If you can, get a model with the freezer on the bottom.
These are much more ergonomic and saves your back,
since you'll be able to open the fridge door (which is 95% of the time you open the doors)
and examine everything at eye-level.

And be sure that the doors are reversible, left-to-right.
That way, you can set it up for whatever works best in your kitchen layout.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Get the manual.
Electronic control(s) on this stuff is designed for a two year lifespan. Replacement cost is a third the price of a new unit, they are not designed to be repairable.
Manual is for decades

Yeah it sounds the way to go. I do believe that counts out to one with water and auto icemaker as it had all the electronic bells and whistles. That's not a biggie for me as making ice in trays and putting bottles of water in the fridge is easy enough.

How big is your household?

If you're cooking for 6~8 people then a 25cu.ft. model would barely be adequate.
For one or two people, then a 14cu.ft. model is plenty.
But if you're looking for advanced features like french doors and through-the-door ice, then the larger models are a forced choice.

I think my next refrigerator is going to be a counter-depth model. These are shallower and wider, so food will not have a tendency to get pushed to the back of the shelf where it is hard to see and gets forgotten for years.

It's just two of us but sometimes the wife cooks large shared lunches for her church/work/family and cooks a lot so want just a tade bigger. The overflow can go in the spare fridge when I relocate my current one out there.
Our current one is 420litres/14.8 cu.ft and are looking at a 530 liter/18.7 cu.ft.
It's just 100 mm wider. The freezer space is the same liters with the extra space in the fridge. I have ample freezer space in a upright freezer.
I'm looking at a bottom mount freezer and these can be re hung if needed. I won't ever get a top mount freezer again.
Good point on the door as you never know what you need in the future for door swing.

If you can, get a model with the freezer on the bottom.
These are much more ergonomic and saves your back,
since you'll be able to open the fridge door (which is 95% of the time you open the doors)
and examine everything at eye-level.

And be sure that the doors are reversible, left-to-right.
That way, you can set it up for whatever works best in your kitchen layout.

+ on both counts

Bottom freezer and universal single swing door. A basic fridge.

If you want double french doors, sliding door/drawer, double compartment door in door. that is a "I want" thing. Just remember.... The more junk you pout on it, the more there is to break, wear, leak, fail.

I've never used water dispensing from a fridge. I would rather run a dedicated carbon filtered drinking water faucet at the sink and use it for everything rather than a cold water spigot on a fridge door (or hidden inside somewhere). But that's just me.

While talking fridge woes with one of the cheese vendors at the market he suggested a small commercial fridge like the ones behind him. Tall and shallow, glass sliding doors or swinging and lots of used ones available, built like tanks, simple and serviceable. Straight fridge without a freezer. Not long after our discussion saw a neighbour taking one into his house.

First time the fridge died, it was midnight of a very unseasonably warm December 23rd, not very good timing, try getting service.

Next time it died my next door neighbour took our freezer contents and added them to her 50 plus year old chest freezer. What a poor business model in the days of old, make something that works and lasts and lasts, what ever were they thinking?
dave

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Keep your house fridge in the house. Buy a used fridge cheap to store your beer. :)

Now that's not a silly idea at all. As long as it's not one of those electronic ticking fail fridges. :)

+ on both counts

Bottom freezer and universal single swing door. A basic fridge.

If you want double french doors, sliding door/drawer, double compartment door in door. that is a "I want" thing. Just remember.... The more junk you pout on it, the more there is to break, wear, leak, fail.

I've never used water dispensing from a fridge. I would rather run a dedicated carbon filtered drinking water faucet at the sink and use it for everything rather than a cold water spigot on a fridge door (or hidden inside somewhere). But that's just me.

I'm starting to think, keep it simple is best. French doors and double doors are new to me and I'm not feeling the love for them. They are getting a lot more common here so just keen to know the ins and out on them.

Reading the online user manual it suggested using a pre filter before the fridge as the small fridge filter needs clean water for the fridge water. What?!?! I would expect it to have it's own efficent filter but that is not the case.

Reading the online user manual it suggested using a pre filter before the fridge as the small fridge filter needs clean water for the fridge water. What?!?! I would expect it to have it's own efficent filter but that is not the case.

No, the filters in modern fridge are, for the most part, not that great. Many say change at least twice a year.

Plumbing in something with a whole house filtration is far better, THEN take that to the fridge for ice and dispensing if you want. I plumbed all in but I have the supply to the fridge shut off (has been for 15 years). I am not big on ice makers so don't miss large quantities of stale ice waiting for me.

I run all water inside the house through a 5 micron particulate filter (remove the crud, sand, rust, etc). This then goes to everything in the house from boiler to washing machine to hot water, etc....

I have a second dedicated filter that goes to a single faucet at the sink and to the fridge. This 2nd filter is an activated carbon filter which makes the city water taste like a bubbling spring of fresh clear water.

proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
No, the filters in modern fridge are, for the most part, not that great. Many say change at least twice a year.

Plumbing in something with a whole house filtration is far better, THEN take that to the fridge for ice and dispensing if you want. I plumbed all in but I have the supply to the fridge shut off (has been for 15 years). I am not big on ice makers so don't miss large quantities of stale ice waiting for me.

I run all water inside the house through a 5 micron particulate filter (remove the crud, sand, rust, etc). This then goes to everything in the house from boiler to washing machine to hot water, etc....

I have a second dedicated filter that goes to a single faucet at the sink and to the fridge. This 2nd filter is an activated carbon filter which makes the city water taste like a bubbling spring of fresh clear water.

proxy.php

Thanks, Mick. I may have a look at something like that.

proxy.php

Activated carbon filters are a great breeding ground for biological nasties. Some of them could be pathogens.
For your drinking water, you should have some method of filtering out or deactivating bacteria after the carbon filter.
I use an ultraviolet steriliser which deactivates bacteria- Its a single unit with a 3 micron filter, activated carbon chamber & UV steriliser in series.
Some people use Ultra filtration (0.1 micron) instead of ultraviolet to physically filter out microbes.
My brother goes a bit further. His purifier has filtration, activated carbon, reverse osmosis & ultrafiltration. Reverse osmosis can remove the dissolved salts as well, turns hard water into soft.

Honestly? The best solution is to ask your significant other what they prefer, and go along with it. I prefer double-door refrigerators, but my wife prefers freezer-top refrigerators, so guess which one we have. My only input was to measure the space it was to fit, and then measure refrigerators in the stores to see if they'd go into that space. That, and comparing the cubic foot space with our 30+ year old refrigerator with the ones in the store.

I'm not seeing a huge variation in refrigerators with preinstalled icemaker kits here. Usually that boosts the price around $150 US, which is pretty close to the cost of an icemaker kit. The refrigerators with in-the-door ice dispensers usually cost more because there's more expense than just the icemaker kit. If a refrigerator is designed to accept an icemaker kit and if the place where it's going already had a line run, then it's not usually difficult to install one yourself. Adding a water line adds to cost and complexity, and in some cases it can be such a hassle that it's better to fill ice trays.

I don't have a filter on my ice maker line. It may be attached to the hot water line, but it's been years since I've looked at that end of things, and could be wrong. It might not make sense to connect to a hot water line, but in theory the hot water tank allows some thing to settle out - in theory.

FWIW, some retailers insist on a metal braided exterior hose to run from the icemaker water line cut-off to the icemaker kit. That's probably because the clear plastic lines can get pinholes and spray water everywhere (been there, done that). The braided lines add to the expense, but IMHO are a good idea.

Be aware that the water lines can give the ice cubes an odd taste until the new wears off. You can run into the same thing changing out water lines to your sink faucets.

Activated carbon filters are a great breeding ground for biological nasties. Some of them could be pathogens.
For your drinking water, you should have some method of filtering out or deactivating bacteria after the carbon filter.
I use an ultraviolet steriliser which deactivates bacteria- Its a single unit with a 3 micron filter, activated carbon chamber & UV steriliser in series.
Some people use Ultra filtration (0.1 micron) instead of ultraviolet to physically filter out microbes.
My brother goes a bit further. His purifier has filtration, activated carbon, reverse osmosis & ultrafiltration. Reverse osmosis can remove the dissolved salts as well, turns hard water into soft.

On city water everywhere except at our cabin in the great white north. There is a natural town spring that is considered one of the safest/purest sources of spring water in the state. You should see the mold, moss, lichen and other scary stuff around there. The cabin has 2 wells for domestic water use (toilets, showers etc) a dug well that has been on the property over 100 years and a deep artesian. Filtration on those are just to keep crud out of the appliances.

I change my drinking filters at this house every 6 months (or when we return from an extended period away) and always flush the faucet for 1 minute +/- before taking any water out of the system for cooking, drinking, coffee/tea. I want water that has just flowed through the filter not water that has sat in the filter for a few hours.

You should be more concerned about the quality of the pipes from your filter to spigot, the rubber gasket in the spigot shut off, the aerator, screen, etc, than how you filter in the middle of delivery if you are a true germafobe. I'm not one to want to live in a clean room environment. Breathing in and drinking/eating a little dust, crud, and germs is good for you :)

I want minerals and dissolved solids in my water not a tasteless distilled liquid. What I am looking to remove are the chemicals that the city puts in to make their water safe for delivery

We have some pretty fantastic "city water". Some of the best in the country if you can believe the state water quality reports.

proxy.php

All the new appliances are junk, brand doesn't seem to matter. Everything we have bought in the last ten years has required multiple service calls, usually starting immediately after the warranty ends. $900 dishwasher needed a $450 repair at two years. $800 washing machine has had a couple $200+ calls. $1200 fridge needed annual repairs at $150+. Bought a new range in January, service person will be here tomorrow... House we bought 6 years ago, built in the late 70s, still has the contractor grade dishwasher and fridge. Working great, I can live with the loud dishwasher. Range we replaced was a late model the prior owner had changed out.

City water at our homes in Florida is not drinkable (my opinion).

We had the pool restored and when it was filled with city water, it was YELLOW, not clear. The city said it was not safe to swim in it until it was treated. I asked how they thought it was safe to drink if it was not safe to swim in. The silence on the other end of the phone was deafening.

I will be using a pretty heavy/complex filtration system on the city water system there as what the city delivers is stinky, and has a very bad taste. I asked if they could provide a water quality report but I never received one.

I've learned. It is best to research what is being thrown at you if you are on a city/municipal water system, then filter as necessary to get safe drinking water, or at least end up with stuff you don't have to pinch your nose to be able to drink it.

proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Honestly? The best solution is to ask your significant other what they prefer, and go along with it. I prefer double-door refrigerators, but my wife prefers freezer-top refrigerators, so guess which one we have. My only input was to measure the space it was to fit, and then measure refrigerators in the stores to see if they'd go into that space. That, and comparing the cubic foot space with our 30+ year old refrigerator with the ones in the store.

I'm not seeing a huge variation in refrigerators with preinstalled icemaker kits here. Usually that boosts the price around $150 US, which is pretty close to the cost of an icemaker kit. The refrigerators with in-the-door ice dispensers usually cost more because there's more expense than just the icemaker kit. If a refrigerator is designed to accept an icemaker kit and if the place where it's going already had a line run, then it's not usually difficult to install one yourself. Adding a water line adds to cost and complexity, and in some cases it can be such a hassle that it's better to fill ice trays.

Happy wife happy life is a good way to go with whiteware for sure.
I have breifly discused with the wife and mentioned a few options to concider. She said what ever I think is best.......danger, danger. :wink2:
Now I tend to look at these thing in great detail prior to parting with my hard earned cash. Discussing the details with the little woman gets her frustrated.
When I spoke to her the next day and informed her of the cold water and icemaker may not being in the running, she sounded slightly disapointed. When I told her the price difference she aggreed fully.
We both agree on the size and brand, so will go to a store together in the weekend to check a couple out. Web sites are great to narrow down the search without all the driving and walking around but some things need to be seen and touched before buying.

All the new appliances are junk, brand doesn't seem to matter. Everything we have bought in the last ten years has required multiple service calls, usually starting immediately after the warranty ends. $900 dishwasher needed a $450 repair at two years. $800 washing machine has had a couple $200+ calls. $1200 fridge needed annual repairs at $150+. Bought a new range in January, service person will be here tomorrow... House we bought 6 years ago, built in the late 70s, still has the contractor grade dishwasher and fridge. Working great, I can live with the loud dishwasher. Range we replaced was a late model the prior owner had changed out.

Yes it seems to be the way. Sadly even though things can me made locally some of the parts may be from all over the world.
Not wanting to knock China but they do seem to have earned a very bad reputaion and are the first country to come to mind with substandard parts.
I had a lounge suite made locally and when offered two options on hardwear for the recliner mechanism I was told one was made in China and the other NZ. The NZ option was a basic lean back but not fully recline unit.
The one in China fully reclined. On discussing the with the salesperson he commented that there is some good stuff made in China and then there is the poorly made stuff. He had been there at a trade show to make his selection. I took the made in China option and it is working great 12 months on. I put my trust in this local maufature to select the part that will last, as he comes with a great reputation, one of if not the best in NZ and backs his product. So far so good. Oh sorry it does make a noise when fully recline, so the wife tells me.

Zzzzzzzz

City water at our homes in Florida is not drinkable (my opinion).

We had the pool restored and when it was filled with city water, it was YELLOW, not clear. The city said it was not safe to swim in it until it was treated. I asked how they thought it was safe to drink if it was not safe to swim in. The silence on the other end of the phone was deafening.

I will be using a pretty heavy/complex filtration system on the city water system there as what the city delivers is stinky, and has a very bad taste. I asked if they could provide a water quality report but I never received one.

I've learned. It is best to research what is being thrown at you if you are on a city/municipal water system, then filter as necessary to get safe drinking water, or at least end up with stuff you don't have to pinch your nose to be able to drink it.

proxy.php

That is a very nice turtle pool. :)

Top Bottom