What's new

first time DE user feels like my face got run over

hello im a DE newbie did a first shave with murker vision 2000 with murker blade and got a bunch of cuts and my face is on fire. Before shave i used a 'art of shaving' oil and a expensive shaving cream that i applied with my hands. I have a brush but i don't know how to make lather yet and i was in a rush to try this new DE razor... i got an OK shave, but after my face was on fire. before i used an old Chinese DE razor with a different blade and i had less cuts, less burn, and closer shave. the new murker vision 2000 that i got is very heavy. do you guys think this is a good DE razor, or i should switch it and get another one. i am also thinking of straight cut-throat blades. Which methods can get me the closest shave with least irritation.

No. 1 Ok First and foremost in all parts of shaving and more pressure is everything. No pressure, let the razor do the cutting you just draw it accross your face. Not like the cartridge razors that you can get away with 'bearing down on'.

No. 2 That is an agressive razor. Myself and my brother both found it very agressive but my oldest brother loves it with fether blades (These are very agressive blades) Which brings me to ...

No. 3 What blades are you using? You need to find the blades that work for you. I love Derbies. But any less agressive blade is ok to learn on.

No. 4 Use a lather! Even if you use a normal crap, i mean cartridge razor, you will get better shaves with a lather. It cushins the shave.

No. 5 Straights will give you a closer shave. But they have a steper learning curve. Get good with DEs, ie learn to lather, to not bear down, what lather preshave etc works for you then jump to straights with only one thing to learn. (Others disagree with this)

Here are the basic videos you need to learn how to wet shave. I got these from a friend so im just cutting and pasting the links. These are how i learnt to shave and how my 'converts' :p have learnt to wet shave.

Here is the full collection of Mantic's vids:
http://au.youtube.com/user/mantic59?ob=1

The ones I recommend for the beginner;

1. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU
2. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ezJNJfygw
3. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wPLfCyGMm9o

Single blade shaving;
1. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4F5u28JfnCM
2. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=5fVg5PpWsUI

So, id suggest keep the vision (its a great razor and you cant really know wether you will or wont like it yet), and ether try changing things up or try a less agressive razor. As i said me and my twin brother found it to agresive with feathers but with Derbys it was much better.

Looks like you got some great direction from the previous poster. I can add
that I have had poor results from Merkur blades. Can I suggest a sample pack to allow you to experience an array of blades and see how you like them.
Welcome to the B&B and good luck.

1. I suggest a Merkur HD as a good entry level DE

2. You need to find out which blades work best with your razor and your face - a very reputable retailer that I think everyone loves on B&B is www.westcoastshaving.com (he has great sample packs that gives you a wide array of some great blade options)

3. use no pressure...just the weight of the razor; focus on beard reduction as opposed to clearing your face in one pass (as you might normally have been doing with cartridge razors).

4. go to youtube and watch Mantic59's shaving videos...one of the greatest sources on the internet next to B&B.

5. keep practicing and don't get discouraged...you're expected to screw up in the beginning and not get great shaves....that's pretty much how everyone gets started. determination, practice, and experimentation will win out...just keep learning.

Best of luck...keep us posted with your progress!

I'm going to reiterate that Merkur blades are awful! That could have been part of the problem. I will, however, suggest getting yourself a cheap Shavette just to try straight shaving for a minimal fee. I went straight from the fusion to straights and didn't find the learning curve difficult at all, but YMMV. Best of luck!

after reading Buckler's post i watched the videos and made lather with a brush and used it. i used oil again and lather that i made with the shaving cream that i think is not for lather. i also changed the blade and used a i think its a derby..... and i got a better shave. still got cuts but it could of been the cuts from the first time i shaved. the razor is very heavy and i don't know what the settings do yet.. ............ im waiting for the hair to grow back so i can test the settings. also what is the best DE razor to use.

a little about myself: 18-25 yo .... been shaving for a long time with mach 3 had good shaves but had skin problems and cartridges cost too much... switching to DE or straight razor to get a closer shave and no irritation.... before i used a DE blade, i watched all the videos and instructions from different sources.

The first DE shave I had cut the hell out of my face. I switched to a Gillette Superspeed and a Tech, and got a blade sampler together with a decent brush and cream/soap. As already stated you need to watch Mantic's videos and practice. Good prep, good lather and NO pressure are the key elements. Take your time, and enjoy the experience. Your shaves will get better and better. Let your beard grow for a day or so to enable you to "map" your whisker growth ie. the direction in which your whiskers grow and for a few weeks only shave (twice) in the direction of whisker growth ie. with the grain (wtg).Then you can (if you desire) begin to shave across the grain (xtg) and maybe even against the grain (atg). There may be places on your face (eg neck) where you may not be able to shave atg but don't worry about that. Lots of shavers (including me) can't do atg on the neck.

Never shave an area that has no lather on it. Rinse your face between lathers. When you have finished shaving rinse your face with warm water and give it a final rinse in cold (or coolish) water. Follow with aftershave product of your choice.

Keep at it. Ask questions. Visit B&B often and before you know it you will be getting great shaves great skin and great pleasure.:001_smile

It is not unusual for the first DE shave to be absolutely terrible. It was for me, I can tell you. I still had all the bad habits from cartridge shaving. Namely, putting pressure on the blade. Moreover, as you're brand new to DE shaving, you really have no feel for correct blade angle, or how to lock your wrist so that the razor doesn't move.

Don't worry about it. I know that it's utterly disheartening when you read all the posts from people about how fabulous and pain free DE shaving is, and then your first time is worse than cartridge shaving. You have to persevere. Wetshaving is a LEARNED skill. You have to take the time to learn it. Some people pick it up fairly quickly. Others, like me, take longer. It took me 90 days to get to the point that I could shave without weepers, razor burn, or red bumps. You can get there, too. You just have to stick with it.

yep...merkur blades are terrible...

merkur blades = destruction of face

merkur blades = death

now merkur razors.......you will be enthusiastic!! :wink:

You likely made a few mistakes. It sounds like you had the Vision adjusted with a wide gap between the blade and the bar. In the beginning you should have a very small gap under the blade. You should only shave after a shower and apply no pressure except for the weight of the blade and use short strokes. It will take you a while to get your angle down and you should do everything slowly compared to a regular razor. Merkur blades ain't great but they should be ok if your careful and I would throw away your first few after only a few shaves. Give it time and be careful.......

I don't know anything about the Vision. Maybe somebody who does can tell this poor guy what number to set it at so he has a very mild razor in his hands for his first few shaves, at least.

Welcome. Starting out with the likes of the Vision takes a lot of courage. Start with the lowest setting and work your way up as you learn technique. Proper lather is the most important part of wetshaving IMHO. I'd pick up a pack of Personna blades for $1.75 at Wallymart and try those first. (I use them in all my razors). I get the feeling you haven't studied up much before jumping in; watch the Mantic videos and read the stickies on here about lather-making and shaving technique. Also read the posts on the Vision razor and in the review section. Keep us posted.

I have a HD and a Vision, the Vision can be equal to running a planer across your face is you have it open to an wide setting. Set it to the second or second and half setting from being fully closed. The Vision doesn't have a comb on it or a bar as some call it, so if the blade is adjusted too aggressively you'll very easily cut yourself.

I've found it somewhat hard to control the Vision as it's like driving a truck without power steering compared to the Merkur HD, which feels like a Ferrari. The Vision is an excellent razor, but you need to start with a small setting, this is the key to it.

Kingfisher has the right idea but the problem is the vision razor has infinite range of adjustment, you can vary it from nothing to over 3mm. They really don't come calibrated with numbers, they have a lettering system and it is only to give you an idea of where it was adjusted to last time. When you do adjust it there are no clicks or anything like that, it is a friction type infinite range system so in theory anyone should be able to use it. The first time I used mine I had it wide open and it is damn near lethal like that, but sometimes you must learn the hard way.

The razor you have is a nice razor although it is indeed a heavy razor. I have one myself.
The Merkur blades are appreciated by some on this forum but disdained by most. They are generally acknowledged to be the least sharp blade of any available.
I concurr with the advise to get a sampler pack of razor from westcoastshaving.com or some similar vendor.
Finally, make sure that you use no pressure while shaving; you will create razor burn to beat the band.
Welcome to the club. Enjoy the journey!

hmmmm.......lots of good advice on how to use the murker vision. I switched the blade and got better results. i still need practice on how to make lather. i think i will need a different DE razor. Something that can get me a close shave but not as aggressive as the vision 2000 anyone know of such a razor?

Do you still have the old razor and blades? Seems to me, you could try changing just one thing: either use the old razor with a new blade, or use the old blades with the new razor. Or try both the old razor and the old blade just once to make sure it isn't something else.

Top Bottom