What's new

first time DE user feels like my face got run over

i have the old razor too which is a old vintage Chinese razor. Following the tips and advice of posters above, i shaved with 2 razors.... after doing one pass with vision 2000, i used the old razor to do another pass and a 3rd pass with old razor against the grain. then i used to murker vision on 4th and 5th to make it all smooth i missed one area of my neck but i i still got it good u wont notice until you touch it. i got such a clean shave with one small cut on my neck. the next morning im running my finger against the grain and im surprised on how close of a shave i got. when i was shaving at points i had the brush in one hand and razor in other, lathering and shaving the same area a few times.

Glad your shaves are improving.

If you want a really mild razor, find yourself a Gilette Tech. They are sometimes sold on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum right here at B&B, or you can find one on e-bay.

i just got a Barber Pole Slant 39c today i haven't used it yet im waiting until my hair grows back. i did another shave today with vision 2000 and cut my self pretty bad again. i only got a good shave once. is it worth getting a furtur? or a murker HD

It took me 90 days to get to the point that I could shave without weepers, razor burn, or red bumps. You can get there, too. You just have to stick with it.

I've only been wetshaving for a few weeks, with about half a dozen shaves under my belt. The first few were decent, even had one shave where there were no nicks or burn at all. Today's shave was the same as my last one: burn and pinpricks all over the neck.

I've been using Merkur blades, with the exception of an Astra I tried last week. The Astra felt like it was tugging hairs, so today I went back to the Merkur blades. Great on sideburns, hell on the neck. I have some Derbys on the way, hoping for the best.

Thanks for your post, it gives me hope that eventually this redness and irritation will be a thing of the past. My biggest problem right now is getting a feeling of slickness on the neck. No matter how much prep or lather, as soon as the blade starts to cut it feels like it's on dry, raw skin. It's always been my "hotspot". But I'll keep working on it...

what it is, what it is, 10 years later im back with the DE shaving. i gave up on it for a while.
i just got myself a titanium timeless razor and used it today on my neck got a bunch of cuts.

reading my previous posts.. whoa what a loser i was. that murker vision 2000 has been sitting in my cabinet for 10 years untouched. i also got a bunch of other murkers that i never used. a small open comb one and a slanted one. and that 200$ feather stainless steel one, which i found to be pretty good. over the years i used it to shave my upper cheek to line my beard with BBS results. now before i use a DE razor, i use two electric shavers to trim my neck hair down before i DE razor it.

i got a beard now so im only a neck and upper cheek shaver right now

i used ADP shaving oil and the shave cream. shaved my neck with the timeless with a murker blade super platinum. in a timeless titanium. been using a feather de razor, that 200 stainless steel one with a murker super platinum blade, and its been good even used this setup to shave my shlong and its been good.

recently my 200$ feather razor got messed up... left it in water and it rusted. so i bought the timeless titanium. i can probably clean the feather razor but im probably gonna end up buying a new one. that was a nice razor. or perhaps try another razor like timeless but a stainless steel one.

finally got the razor in today with the ceramic bowl... i used acqua di parma shaving oil and shaving gel combo with murker blade.

first i applied the oil on my neck, seemed luxury, then i wet my hands and added a lil water to the oil making it more slippy. then i applied the shaving gel, with a super badger brush, it did not work. i reapplied more with my hands and got better results.

the shave was smooth as eggs. at first i thought it wasn't shaving but it was' also the timeless razor i used was the solid bar with .68 mild blade gap. ( i also got the 91l base plate but have not used it yet )

got a pretty alright shave i had to stop because i had too many cuts. the shave was smooth other then the cuts but this was because i got lazy and didn't apply more gel for the second and third pass. if i applied more shaving gel, i believe i would have less or no cuts. i used a urth after shave elixir. and 10 mins later its like i got no cuts and my new name is mr baby neck.

the shave cream and oil seem amazing for a quick shave. the oil doesn't come off that easy i had to use soap to wash it off and take a shower after the shave. i remember using the ADP shave cream with a brush and a bowl, and i got a way better lather. the gel seemed wack at first but it gave me a nice thick lather on my face that gave me confidence to go loose with the razor. i think i went too loose, hence the cuts.

i ordered some Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Shaving Cream and Cella Milano Pre-Shave... for a different experience. also got some Kai Stainless Steel Double Edge Blades to try out with the timeless DE.

if anyone knows any dope creams or hard soaps i should try out let me know. soon i will try out the santa maria pre/post shave cream. and czech & speake shaving soap, and some Sisley skin care products for healing cuts. i will let you know how it goes.

also im trying to get another bespoke DE razor, but a stainless steel one. anyone know any good ones. ive seen wolfman and charcoal goods. and that raw shaving one, but its all out of stock. i might end up getting the Tatara Masamune since its nice and thin. i find thin razors easier to use. probably will end up getting that feather stainless steel one as well.

over all first shave with the razor, even thought i got cut up( my fault for not applying more gel for second and even third pass i just used water to make the remaining oil more slippy), i had a good end result. neck looks good and feels good.

https://www.acquadiparma.com/en-ww

Welcome aboard!!

You are getting some great advice above!!

I would add two points:
1. Read through the Wiki and watch a few videos.
2. Traditional wet shaving is a skill that takes a bit of time to master. So expect a learning curve.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!

Welcome aboard!!

You are getting some great advice above!!

I would add two points:
1. Read through the Wiki and watch a few videos.
2. Traditional wet shaving is a skill that takes a bit of time to master. So expect a learning curve.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!

thank you. i got that advice about 10 years ago. now im more advanced DE shaver. im mainly a neck shaver though cuz i got a full beard. but i use de razor to line it up and make it look clean. my only problem right now is that i only use lather or gel once and i do like three passes without reapplying gel or lather. every time i tell myself, this time ama apply lather or gel after one pass and i never do it. but a few times i did do it and i got amazing results with a feather stainless DE. now im tryin out other razors. trying to get my hands on a CG razor and a wolfman and a raw rs10 but its out of stock im looking into a tatara, i might cop that. i'll let you know how it is when i get it

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome back to the fold. Glad you are back and posting again. I am assuming that much has changed in 10 years.

what it is, what it is, 10 years later im back with the DE shaving. i gave up on it for a while.
i just got myself a titanium timeless razor and used it today on my neck got a bunch of cuts.

reading my previous posts.. whoa what a loser i was. that murker vision 2000 has been sitting in my cabinet for 10 years untouched. i also got a bunch of other murkers that i never used. a small open comb one and a slanted one. and that 200$ feather stainless steel one, which i found to be pretty good. over the years i used it to shave my upper cheek to line my beard with BBS results. now before i use a DE razor, i use two electric shavers to trim my neck hair down before i DE razor it.

i got a beard now so im only a neck and upper cheek shaver right now

i used ADP shaving oil and the shave cream. shaved my neck with the timeless with a murker blade super platinum. in a timeless titanium. been using a feather de razor, that 200 stainless steel one with a murker super platinum blade, and its been good even used this setup to shave my shlong and its been good.

recently my 200$ feather razor got messed up... left it in water and it rusted. so i bought the timeless titanium. i can probably clean the feather razor but im probably gonna end up buying a new one. that was a nice razor. or perhaps try another razor like timeless but a stainless steel one.

finally got the razor in today with the ceramic bowl... i used acqua di parma shaving oil and shaving gel combo with murker blade.

first i applied the oil on my neck, seemed luxury, then i wet my hands and added a lil water to the oil making it more slippy. then i applied the shaving gel, with a super badger brush, it did not work. i reapplied more with my hands and got better results.

the shave was smooth as eggs. at first i thought it wasn't shaving but it was' also the timeless razor i used was the solid bar with .68 mild blade gap. ( i also got the 91l base plate but have not used it yet )

got a pretty alright shave i had to stop because i had too many cuts. the shave was smooth other then the cuts but this was because i got lazy and didn't apply more gel for the second and third pass. if i applied more shaving gel, i believe i would have less or no cuts. i used a urth after shave elixir. and 10 mins later its like i got no cuts and my new name is mr baby neck.

the shave cream and oil seem amazing for a quick shave. the oil doesn't come off that easy i had to use soap to wash it off and take a shower after the shave. i remember using the ADP shave cream with a brush and a bowl, and i got a way better lather. the gel seemed wack at first but it gave me a nice thick lather on my face that gave me confidence to go loose with the razor. i think i went too loose, hence the cuts.

i ordered some Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Shaving Cream and Cella Milano Pre-Shave... for a different experience. also got some Kai Stainless Steel Double Edge Blades to try out with the timeless DE.

if anyone knows any dope creams or hard soaps i should try out let me know. soon i will try out the santa maria pre/post shave cream. and czech & speake shaving soap, and some Sisley skin care products for healing cuts. i will let you know how it goes.

also im trying to get another bespoke DE razor, but a stainless steel one. anyone know any good ones. ive seen wolfman and charcoal goods. and that raw shaving one, but its all out of stock. i might end up getting the Tatara Masamune since its nice and thin. i find thin razors easier to use. probably will end up getting that feather stainless steel one as well.

over all first shave with the razor, even thought i got cut up( my fault for not applying more gel for second and even third pass i just used water to make the remaining oil more slippy), i had a good end result. neck looks good and feels good.

Wow welcome back and gals that you're giving this a try again.

Instead of just getting more razors... Ahem let me rephrase... Try more blades too as the right blade can make all the difference and please continue to get great razors lol.

There are a ton of great soaps and you could go high end or mid range stuff like what the Puck from Italian barbers. I'm a simpler guy and proraso green, arko or TFS is good to me.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I might sound rude but you seem like you are trying to buy your way into a great shave. 200$, 300$, 500$ razors won't get you a good shave if your technique is lacking. Stop hording razors and focus on one until your technique gets better. Then you can try more stuff.

Not sure why you decided to purchase a Merkur 39C if your having issues cutting yourself. The slant is an aggressive (efficient) razor. If you are cutting yourself, then you need to improve your technique before going to a razor like the slant.

There are several great razors that are less aggressive and can be used for novice through expert DE shavers. These include, the Merkur 34C HD, Edwin Jagger DE89lbl and if you like adjustable, the Rockwell 6C is affordable and awesome.

I agree with others advising you on this thread, get a milder razor, sample pack of blades, shaving brush, shaving cream to lather. Blade wise, I recommend, Personna Lab Blues, Vokshod, Gillette 7 O'clock Greens.
Purchase a synthetic brush (easy to use and inexpensive).
Easy lathering creams include, Proraso Red or Taylors Old Bond. (Notice, I didn't mention soaps, use creams to start learning lathering techniques, they're easier to lather).

For post shave, purchase Osma Alum block. It will tighten your pores, fix nicks and weepers, act as an astringent/antiseptic, and show where you are having irritation.
After rinsing off the Osma, get a nice aftershave balm to finish the routine.

Hope this helps.

I might sound rude but you seem like you are trying to buy your way into a great shave. 200$, 300$, 500$ razors won't get you a good shave if your technique is lacking. Stop hording razors and focus on one until your technique gets better. Then you can try more stuff.

thats how i started out when i made this post 10 years ago and i figured that out the hard way or the costly way. now though i got more technique. so i got some quality stuff. my technique is improving every shave. over all im happy with the DE shaving experience. i got very close shaves with only a few cuts and zero irritation at this point. i just shaved with my current setup and now my name is mr baby face.
IMG_0249.jpg

now that i got the technique down, im gonna expend my shave den with a few more brushes and razors

hello im a DE newbie did a first shave with murker vision 2000 with murker blade and got a bunch of cuts and my face is on fire. Before shave i used a 'art of shaving' oil and a expensive shaving cream that i applied with my hands. I have a brush but i don't know how to make lather yet and i was in a rush to try this new DE razor... i got an OK shave, but after my face was on fire. before i used an old Chinese DE razor with a different blade and i had less cuts, less burn, and closer shave. the new murker vision 2000 that i got is very heavy. do you guys think this is a good DE razor, or i should switch it and get another one. i am also thinking of straight cut-throat blades. Which methods can get me the closest shave with least irritation.

First of all, if you are a long time shaver with cartridges, you will need to unlearn your bad habits. You need a MUCH lighter touch. The action is all elbow and shoulder. Consider strapping your wrist to remind you to lock it in.

I shaved with carts for over thirty years before switching to a DE and it took me months to get a comfortable shave. So don't give up yet.

If you want to learn with the easiest safety razor of all, buy yourself a GEM Featherweight. Start with the carbon steel blades. They are extremely smooth and not so aggressive. Eventually move onto the PTFE coated stainless blades. Even a total retard should be able to shave well with this kit. Just hold the razor completely flat on your face. Start WTG (with the grain), then progress to across, then against the grain.

The GEM is like a safety razor with trainer wheels and gives a superb shave. What you learn with that you can transfer over to a DE razor. Good luck.

If you want to learn with the easiest safety razor of all, buy yourself a GEM Featherweight. Start with the carbon steel blades. They are extremely smooth and not so aggressive. Eventually move onto the PTFE coated stainless blades. Even a total retard should be able to shave well with this kit. Just hold the razor completely flat on your face. Start WTG (with the grain), then progress to across, then against the grain.

Classy. :thumbdown

First of all, if you are a long time shaver with cartridges, you will need to unlearn your bad habits. You need a MUCH lighter touch. The action is all elbow and shoulder. Consider strapping your wrist to remind you to lock it in.

I shaved with carts for over thirty years before switching to a DE and it took me months to get a comfortable shave. So don't give up yet.

The GEM is like a safety razor with trainer wheels and gives a superb shave. What you learn with that you can transfer over to a DE razor. Good luck.

thank you for the advice. i don't know if you saw the date on the post. i made it in 2009. 10 years ago. at this time. i got my technique down. i got myself a new razor recently timeless ti .65 and 91 SB. i dropped wet shaving for a while. and picked it back up with a feather as-ds. i learned with this razor. using murker platinum blades. now im in the process of acquiring new gear. trying new stuff to find the best setup for me. i will try out those carbon blades though. i know it gets dull quick but im a one blade one shave guy anyway.

thank you for the advice. i don't know if you saw the date on the post. i made it in 2009. 10 years ago. at this time. i got my technique down. i got myself a new razor recently timeless ti .65 and 91 SB. i dropped wet shaving for a while. and picked it back up with a feather as-ds. i learned with this razor. using murker platinum blades. now im in the process of acquiring new gear. trying new stuff to find the best setup for me. i will try out those carbon blades though. i know it gets dull quick but im a one blade one shave guy anyway.

Yes I missed the date there. I am glad you got it together. If your beard is very heavy, then I recommend Feather Professional blades, which can be used in shavettes and in a few safety razors also. They give an exceptional life. You'll get more than one shave with them.

Top Bottom