What's new

First Shavemac Synthetic has landed in the USA!!

That is true, indeed. I have yet to see a synthetic that replicates badger hair performance. Not that I doubt the quality of knot discussed here nor the competence of the appraiser.

Have you tried one of the latest generation brushes?
I do not know what brushes qualify as being the latest generation, however, this is what I have tried so far:

proxy.php

In my opinion nothing comes close to a badger hair brush, in overall performance. The closest are Muhle STF V2 and RR Bruce. The worst synthetic I have is Muhle travel brush (the one in aluminum tube).

Will certainly try a Shavemac synthetic next year, once the dust settles. I have great respect for Shavemac and have several brushes made by them and other accessories.

Looking forward to reading reviews, meanwhile.

These are the synthetics in my home rotation. Since the photo was taken I have acquired a Frank Shaving syn.
full

My two travel brushes have a Muhle knot. One by Muhle and one by Rudy Vey

full

The only two I have that come close to a quality badger brush are the two with a Muhle knot.

My main complaint about most synthetics is their lack of backbone. What makes them so popular, IMHO, is they are relatively cheap and are a good value. However, if performance is the factor, a quality badger wins for me every time.

...Let's face it: more people will shuck out $20 for top shelf synthetic than will pay $100+ for a badger brush nowadays.
That doesn't make synthetic brushes better than badger. Many more people use cartridge razors than DE, and I know the difference very well. Many more people use canned foam/gel than proper shaving soap or cream, and I know the difference very well.
The fact that synthetic brushes are becoming more popular doesn't make them better. As far as I am concerned, I would rather spend $100 on a good quality (sometimes even custom) badger brush than having five subpar synthetic ones. It is all relative.
Looking forward to learning more about Shavemac synthetic fibers and the performance of their knots.

Buy a YaQi Tuxedo, Mew Brown or a Cashmere brush and you will be a convert. Muehle & Plissoft knots are practically Stone Age in comparison to the latest generation. Spend $20 and be amazed.

I have a Mew Brown and it does not come close to a badger. Underwhelming performance and price means nothing to me. I will skip buying shaving related items this year and wait for new products in 2020.
Maybe the new Shavemac is the one. Who knows?

My main complaint about most synthetics is their lack of backbone. What makes them so popular, IMHO, is they are relatively cheap and are a good value. However, if performance is the factor, a quality badger wins for me every time.

That, and "Synthetic & Blade" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :laugh:

But, seriously, I 100% agree about the backbone issue. I can see where people like synthetics, since big, soft, pillowy silvertips like the BK12 can run massively expensive if that's what you're into, but for me, there's just never been much of an appeal, since I'm more into backbone and scrub. If I want a value brush, there're plenty of excellently performing boars on the market that sell for under $30.

Also, to me, synthetics just feel more, well, mass-produced than natural hair brushes. Like, for a natural product like badger or boar hair, there's always going to be some variation, and part of the charm is trying new and different hairs, or even variations of the same hair. (There's a reason I'm so fond of Simpson's Best.) But there isn't the same feeling of individuality to synthetic brushes...there's no reason the hair can't be manufactured to the same specifications forever.

Synthetics have their place. Boars have their place. Badgers have their place. If one is being compared to the other, their will always be a winner, however, they can all be great tools when they are recognized and appreciated for what they are.

I love the way synthetics perform. I had a few high quality badgers and I think my RazoRock Big Bruce just blow them away in performance.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
That, and "Synthetic & Blade" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :laugh:

But, seriously, I 100% agree about the backbone issue. I can see where people like synthetics, since big, soft, pillowy silvertips like the BK12 can run massively expensive if that's what you're into, but for me, there's just never been much of an appeal, since I'm more into backbone and scrub. If I want a value brush, there're plenty of excellently performing boars on the market that sell for under $30.

Also, to me, synthetics just feel more, well, mass-produced than natural hair brushes. Like, for a natural product like badger or boar hair, there's always going to be some variation, and part of the charm is trying new and different hairs, or even variations of the same hair. (There's a reason I'm so fond of Simpson's Best.) But there isn't the same feeling of individuality to synthetic brushes...there's no reason the hair can't be manufactured to the same specifications forever.

+1 - I associate the pillowy soft synths with the Vulfix and Kent ilk - I like more presence & scrub, and have come to dislike floppy, soft brushes. I also enjoy the natural factor and individuality.

That doesn't make synthetic brushes better than badger. Many more people use cartridge razors than DE, and I know the difference very well. Many more people use canned foam/gel than proper shaving soap or cream, and I know the difference very well.
The fact that synthetic brushes are becoming more popular doesn't make them better. As far as I am concerned, I would rather spend $100 on a good quality (sometimes even custom) badger brush than having five subpar synthetic ones. It is all relative.
Looking forward to learning more about Shavemac synthetic fibers and the performance of their knots.
+1!

FYI, a quick Google search for "shavemac synthetic" will quickly link you to the "hidden" Shavemac "Synthetic Fibers Shaving Brush Configurator." It looks like the synthetics will be available at any moment.

garyg

FYI, a quick Google search for "shavemac synthetic" will quickly link you to the "hidden" Shavemac "Synthetic Fibers Shaving Brush Configurator." It looks like the synthetics will be available at any moment.

Enablers as always ! BTW, they're accepting orders for custom configured synths now. More culling will be required as I am out of brush space, again :001_rolle

Enablers as always ! BTW, they're accepting orders for custom configured synths now. More culling will be required as I am out of brush space, again :001_rolle

The Synthetic Fibers Shaving Brush Configurator is still (poorly) hidden.

However, it's definitely coming soon. Better save you're pennies. The prices seem very reasonable, you might have to buy more than one brush.

garyg

Well, Shavemac has sent me an order confirmation, and dinged my PayPal, so it better be coming soon :)

Well priced as mentioned, backing out the EU's VAT just about pays for postage. All in, less than the Chubby 2 Synth in a slightly bigger knot, depending on how it measures once tied ..

What I like about Shavemac is you can adjust the loft to fit your own bent, within limits of course.

Top Bottom