What's new

First razor for a 12 year old?

My son has reached the age where he needs to start shaving. Probably not daily at first but the fur on his upper lip has got thick enough where it needs some attention. So I'm after some advice on what would be a good first razor and shaving cream / soap. When I was young I had an electric shaver but it was very unsuccessful, my skin hated it and it did a lousy job of shaving. We have similar hair so I expect he's on course to have pretty thick, dark, tough facial hair. These days I use an Above The Tie S2 open combed slant razor, which I love, but it's too aggressive to be suitable for a young lad - what do you suggest? (Preferably fairly inexpensive options so if necessary he can try a few different options to find something that works for him.)

My son started with a Gillette Guard razor, which is a very simple one blade cartridge and pretty close to being a DE. He's now moved onto a Gillette Tech I had spare and has had no issues with it at all, finding he can get a close shave with no cuts or irritation. He's always used a Whipped Dog badger brush I gave him with TOBS/Arran/GFT shaving cream (whatever he could steal off me) and enjoys whipping up a lather on his face. I'm sure many combinations would have worked just as well, but I don't think many would have been appreciably better.

Your son is becoming a man. That will be a difficult transition for both of you. Good luck.

When facial hair first starts to appear, it is sparse and very fine. As we age, it gets coarser (drats!). That mean you son can probably start shaving with a mild razor matched with a mild blade. Then as he grows older, he can move to progressively more aggressive razors and blades.

There are two routes you might consider. One is purchasing an inexpensive, mild razor such as the Wilkinson Sword Classic, Feather Popular razor, or Van der Hagen/Microtouch One/Weishi razor equipped with a suitable blade. As he matures, these can be replaced with more aggressive razors. The Wilkinson Sword Classic and Feather Hi-Stainless blades, however, might be too sharp for your son. While not sharp enough for my coarse beard, blades such as VDH, Merkur, Shark, and Derby Extra will likely work well for him starting out.

Of course, vintage razors such as the Gillette SuperSpeed or Tech are options, but at his age, he might not appreciate vintage.

The other avenue is more expensive, but might provide a lifetime of shaving enjoyment. Purchase a high-quality stainless steel razor with interchangeable base plates such as the Rockwell 6S or the new Karve stainless razor. The Rockwell comes with three plates that are reversible giving 6 options of aggressiveness. Start with plate 1 and then move up towards 6 as his skill level permits. The Karve is available with a very mild AA plate up through a very aggressive G plate. The basic razor only comes with one plate, so I would suggest purchasing either the AA or A plate to start, but then purchase an additional plate for each of his next few birthdays. With artisan machinists, you never know how long they will continue making razors, so do not assume they will be around 10 years from now. If you find the Karve SS too pricey, there is a less expensive brass version. However, the brass will require more maintenance to keep it looking good, so it might not be the best option for a teenager.

As for lather, purchase him his own shaving brush- a 22 mm synthetic brush would be good for his small face. You did not mention the shaving soap you use, but if you use a good ones, let him share your soaps and show him how to build a great lather. Shaving together can be a great bonding time. The next few years will pass quickly, so cherish every moment you can spend together.

Unfortunately, I have only a single daughter and a single granddaughter, so I never had the joy of teaching a son or grandson to shave. My son-in-law shaves with an electric shaver; I hope some day to convince him of the advantages of wet shaving so he can inherit my collection of razors, brushes, soaps, hones, strops, etc. Otherwise, I will have to hope my granddaughter marries a man interested in wet shaving.

Wilkinson Sword Classic with the matching blades would be my pick. I used this as a teenager and found it to perform well, and it was drop proof.

proxy.php

Good choices above!

I would also consider the Lord L6 which is reasonably priced and a good shaver in the mild/moderate range.

Welcome to B&B.
Weishi 9306 would be my suggestion for a first razor. Alternatively a Gillette Superspeed is very robust if he does not mind a vintage razor

Wow. 12 is young. Mine started when he was about 14, although it may have been younger. Anyway, I started him on a Mach 3 just to get the feel for shaving. After a few shaves with that, I then gave him a vintage Gillette Tech with a ball end handle. He really took to it and was very quick to tell me that the double edge was far better than the cart. In fact, after going away to summer camp for 7 weeks and taking the Mach 3 he said he and another camp friend were talking and they both agreed that carts can't even come close to double edge razors. Of course I was proud. He didn't really use the Mach 3 for very long though. I'd say no more than 4 or 5 shaves. I just wanted him to feel comfortable putting a bade to his face. It has worked. Since then I've given him a vintage Old Type and a RazoRock Old Type. I told him if there is anything that I have that he's interested in to just let me know. He has used my Muhle R41 (2013) and said "I don't see what the big deal is with that razor. It's not scary." But he didn't ask for one. I also bought him a RazoRock Bruce synthetic brush which he picked out. And I let him sniff all of my soaps and creams and he chose Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond shaving cream. I also gave him a couple extra lather bowls for him to use. I got him a stand to hold his razor and brush of the day. And he's tried some of my blades and prefers the Voskhods the most. So, that's what he uses. He's now 16. Good luck with your son.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. My suggestions would be a Gillette Tech, a Gillette Superspeed, Schick Krona or for a new razor a Merkur 34C.

I've just started to teach my son how to shave. After careful consideration I got him a Merkur 41 razor. It's a very mild shaver, the open comb leaves lather on the skin so he can go over the same spot again and it's a very beautiful razor too. I gave him my Plisson synthetic brush and free access to my soap stash with the recommendation to stick to the creams and preferably the Truefitt&Hill ones. He picks the cream he wants and I teach him how to build lather.

This journey has just started and I for one enjoy it tremendously.
30018_3.jpg

1513258883000.jpeg

Last edited:
Have a while yet to wait for a grandson, but in the meantime you guys have resolved a question I had about what to do with my 'leftover' carts. I can't see me ever going back to them so I've been wondering what to do with 'em. The single/trim blade on them is nice for getting under the nose easily, but a waste of the entire cart. Think I'll store them until a grandson comes along then offer them to him to 'train' with. Between my son and I I think he'll take quickly to DE shaving when the time comes.

I'm dealing with the same issue with my daughter; I went with the Baili 176 and will be swapping the handle out for something grippy. Mild, covered blade tabs, cheap, and can take a grippy handle. Good luck!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Razorock DE1 as a starter razor. My son is 14 and just starting to get hair on his lip. I will let him choose any of my vintage or modern razors, but that is what I am gonna suggest he start with. That or my Merkur 15C if he wants to try an OC. Of course, I do have some Techs which are mild, and a Slim which I hate, but I recently saw him checking out my GC68, also a great choice!
As far as soaps and brushes, I think a Razorock synthetic Bruce is a good starter, and Arko!

As @RayClem says, this will be a great bonding adventure.

Happy shaves
prof

Wow. Great suggestions. My son has not started shaving yet but my daughter has. What I've learned from her is.... she loves badgers. She took my A&E SoCal Hipster soap and ASB and now has commandeered my Fatboy and Timeless Aluminum. So I guess my advice would be give him a great soap base to start with and a mild razor like a Muhle D89 or an adjustable. Start one 1 and work his way up. Her brush of choice was a Yaqi Moka 26mm Silvertip (35 bucks). She tried mu Chubbys and didn't care for them. Give him choices from what you have first. I do believe that the soap quality, latherabilty and slickness makes DE shaving or cartridge shaving go a long way. Peach Fuzz shave, great soap base, easy to lather and a mild razor is best. Work up as needed. Good luck my friend! My daughter is expensive!

I really like the idea of adjustable for someone that young, and one I quite liked was Merkur Progress.

Set it to mildest setting until he gets his technique and muscle memory developed, and adjust as he gets better at it.
It's quite easy to use and quite forgiving of less than ideal angle (not much to shave to start with anyway).

I'd go with something mild anyway. I only tried one EJ DE razor (can't recall the model, but believe they all share the same head design), and in my opinion that could be a good pick too.

As for shaving cream, Speick cream is, again, just my opinion, impossible to hate, offers good protection and glide (and not expensive at all). My other choice would be TOBS Grapefruit, not because I feel is the best (though I like it), but because it smells amazing, it's affordable and super easy to use.

Top Bottom