What's new

First razor for a 12 year old?

My son just started. I gave him my Merkur 33c ( I found it a little short), a Omega brush, a alum stick, a stypic stick and Proraso pre-shave shaving cream. No blood yet. I am trying to encourage the Zen of shaving (recently discovered myself)as I always used to hate shaving.I am pretty new to wet shaving myself and with the exception of the shaving cream I received from Classic Edge, Proraso is a favourite . A good shaving cream makes such a huge difference, especially when using a straight razor. Good luck!

Having less than perfect technique, and lacking the will to develop it, I'd recommend that whatever razor you start with is mild. The two milder shavers I've used are the Feather Popular and the Razorock D1. Both are available for $15 shipped. Neither is a bad choice--I prefer the Feather Popular for the ease of loading blades and overall experience.

Having less than perfect technique, and lacking the will to develop it, I'd recommend that whatever razor you start with is mild. The two milder shavers I've used are the Feather Popular and the Razorock D1. Both are available for $15 shipped. Neither is a bad choice--I prefer the Feather Popular for the ease of loading blades and overall experience.

One very mild razor that is available at many local outlets is the Van Der Hagen twist to open. It is sold at many pharmacies and discount stores. It is one of the mildest razors available. And a 12 year old might even be able to use the VDH blades that come with it. Although I have various razors of varying aggressiveness, I love using the VDH with a very sharp blade for my clean-up pass.

For a young shaver, Astra SP blades or Derby Extra should be fine. As he gets older, he might need sharper blades.

Baili razors are great and come at a great price:
US $9.31 15% OFF|BAILI Upgrade Wet Shaving Safety Blade Razor Shaver Handle Barber Men's Manual Beard Hair Care +1 Travel Case BD176-in Razor from Beauty & Health on AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32786686923.html
They also have a TTO for similar price (around 9€ or $10 delivered).
If you're in the US or Canada you can pay a bit more and buy a rebranded Baili for a higher price but quicker delivery. Mostly anything you can buy under 25€ or so is a rebranded Baili or Weishi.
The plastic Wilkinson recommended above is also a solid choice.

Top Bottom