What's new

First experience with the Wolfman Guerrilla Razor

IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3609.JPG
So I got an email from James informing me that he had this DE razor in inventory and asked if I'd like one. So even though I've been on the list for a polished Brass one for quite some time I thought why not and went ahead and purchased it. So today was my first time shaving with it and I thought I'd share with all that are interested.

First thing I noticed and I think most would is how large the handle is! It's wider than any other razor in my den. So I was like i'm not sure on the handle yet but I thought I'd keep an open mind until I shaved with it. The other thing I noticed is how well designed the head is with it's low profile. Also I will say as of now this is the best threading I've ever experienced on any razor period. It is so smooth I think this should be the standard that all artisans should try to achieve.

So on with the shave. As I do in all my reviews I do a full 4 pass shave to evaluate the razor and compare it to others in my den.
Razor - Wolfman Guerrilla
Blade - Feather
Brush - Stirling Kong
Soap - SV 70th
PS - Thayers Lemon
AS - SV 70th
Growth - 2 days

Pass 1. WTG - Right way I notice that the large handle doesn't bother me. I found the balance rather easily and I got great feedback from the razor. I didn't apply any real pressure since I was doing a 4 pass shave so after the first past I thought nice so far. The one thing that really stood out to me was just as I thought this razor is awesome under the nose.

Pass 2. XTG- Went ear to nose and the angle was really easy to find and as soon as I got to my nose and lips again it just glided very smoothly around this normally tender area. I couldn't help but compare it to the last shave i had with the new Blackland SE Sabre and to be honest I'm liking this better right away.

Pass 3. XTG - This time nose to ear and the SV lather has such good glide IMO which made the Guerilla seems almost mild but I'd say it was surprisingly more efficient than I thought it would be. So at the end of this pass I definitely had a solid DFS and if I stopped right there I'd be good to go to work with it or with some touch ups or buffing I'd be at a BBS for sure.

Pass 4. ATG - On this pass it shined, was a very smooth and just took down whatever stubble was left on my face and neck. I even went this way and that way and shaved over my one bad cowlick on my neck almost like I would with my Genesis just to see if I could do it without a nick or increased irritation. So in the end I ended up with a BBS shave that i would say would be good for 6 to 8 hrs and the feedback I got from the Alum block was minimal. So all and all I'd say this is a very nice razor in all areas, I'm sure some people might not like the handle but I saw one that a guy changed to a custom SS handle that kind of reminded me of the Charcoal Goods Bishop handle and it looked really good with the Guerrilla head.
Overall I'm happy with the razor and if it's any indication of how James other models shave I'm staying on the list until I get the one I really want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I've been curious about this razor for awhile. How does it compare to the Timeless? All my stuff is vintage, but the Guerilla is intriguing. Would love to know how it compares to my favorite at the moment, the NEW Deluxe.

Thanks for the review. I've been curious about this razor for awhile. How does it compare to the Timeless? All my stuff is vintage, but the Guerilla is intriguing. Would love to know how it compares to my favorite at the moment, the NEW Deluxe.
Well comparing it to my Timeless .95 I'd say it's not quite there as far as efficiently but it is very,very good in that area and absolutely took me by surprise. As far as machining i think the photos speaks for themselves. It's hard to compare the two as they both have such a different look and feel in hand to them. The Guerilla has almost a SE type feel to it. Kind of like a General or Sabre but yet not exactly like that either. I'd say kind of a hybrid if that makes any sense. I love the head design and it may be the very best under the nose shaver I've ever used. I probably need a couple more shaves with it to do a really good analogy of how this compares to the Timeless but for the first shave it sure exceeded my expectations and I can honestly say I like it better than the Sabre i just got last week. I'm sure you know the feeling when something feels right from the get go. Like with me it was my first time I shaved with my first Timeless or General or when I tried the Gem MMOC. It was love at first shave. Well this one felt right, whereas I didn't get that feeling with the Sabre although it's a good shaver.

Of course I've only had one shave with both of them so I'm strictly going on first impressions.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Well comparing it to my Timeless .95 I'd say it's not quite there as far as efficiently but it is very,very good in that area and absolutely took me by surprise. As far as machining i think the photos speaks for themselves. It's hard to compare the two as they both have such a different look and feel in hand to them. The Guerilla has almost a SE type feel to it. Kind of like a General or Sabre but yet not exactly like that either. I'd say kind of a hybrid if that makes any sense. I love the head design and it may be the very best under the nose shaver I've ever used. I probably need a couple more shaves with it to do a really good analogy of how this compares to the Timeless but for the first shave it sure exceeded my expectations and I can honestly say I like it better than the Sabre i just got last week. I'm sure you know the feeling when something feels right from the get go. Like with me it was my first time I shaved with my first Timeless or General or when I tried the Gem MMOC. It was love at first shave. Well this one felt right, whereas I didn't get that feeling with the Sabre although it's a good shaver.

Of course I've only had one shave with both of them so I'm strictly going on first impressions.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'll be following this thread. I've had a couple razors I knew were keepers right off the bat. Spend some time with them, and it just gets better.

I haven't tried a Guerrilla but I do have a Wolfman and it's just an awesome razor, I agree it's by far the best upper lip razor I've tried and it's the last standing DE razor in my den, I've let go of Timeless, Blackbird, Charcoal Good(although this one is close) I just get the best shaves from the Wolfman, Charcoal Good is pretty equal though.

Your comments about the Sabre to the Guerrilla concerns me as I'm waiting for the Sabre to arrive and hoping the thicker GEM blades will work better for me than the thinner DE blades.

I haven't tried a Guerrilla but I do have a Wolfman and it's just an awesome razor, I agree it's by far the best upper lip razor I've tried and it's the last standing DE razor in my den, I've let go of Timeless, Blackbird, Charcoal Good(although this one is close) I just get the best shaves from the Wolfman, Charcoal Good is pretty equal though.

Your comments about the Sabre to the Guerrilla concerns me as I'm waiting for the Sabre to arrive and hoping the thicker GEM blades will work better for me than the thinner DE blades.

Funny that you mentioned it but I just got my Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC and I'm going to do a compare shave with it against my Timeless .95 OC. As of now no razor has given me a closer shave than the Timeless. The closest is my Gem MMOC with the General and I'm thinking this Guerilla being neck and neck. I'm on the list to get a Wolfman but who knows how long that is going to take so can't compare.

Ok I'm with you on the blades as i love Gem blades and I'm not saying I don't like the Sabre but you know when you get a razor and it just clicks from the minute you first use it? That's what happened today with this razor. I just did a comparison using the new Sabre vs my Genesis V2 and there were things about it that were just ok and I didn't get that feeling at all although I wanted to. Example I've never struggled getting a handle on a head like I did with the Sabre and from the reviews I read I'm not the only one. The fact that the treads are cut almost into a rectangle I think is the problem. I didn't want to force it so it took more than a few times to get it on. A friend of mine who has one offered some advice on how to get it on easier so I'm hoping that issue will be solved. Don't get me wrong it is an efficient razor and it has decent glide but not in the same league with the Timeless, General Brass, Genesis or the Gem 1912 to me. The Guerilla also has better glide to me. I think I need more time with the Sabre. we'll see.

Anyway back to the Guerilla it almost feels like a hybrid or crossover between a SE and DE razor if that make any sense at all. I really like it and as of right now it's a keeper for sure.
Let me know how you like you're Sabre after you get it.

Last edited:
I was even considering getting another as a backup, but I managed to snag a Wolfman WR1 for a good price meanwhile. so that will do. It will be interesting to compare the two.

I can understand that I did that with the General Brass I liked it so much and in fact I'm sending one in to be replated in Rhodium.
You're a lucky man to have grabbed the WR 1.

Funny that you mentioned it but I just got my Charcoal Goods Level 3 OC and I'm going to do a compare shave with it against my Timeless .95 OC. As of now no razor has given me a closer shave than the Timeless. The closest is my Gem MMOC with the General and I'm thinking this Guerilla being neck and neck. I'm on the list to get a Wolfman but who knows how long that is going to take so can't compare.

Ok I'm with you on the blades as i love Gem blades and I'm not saying I don't like the Sabre but you know when you get a razor and it just clicks from the minute you first use it? That's what happened today with this razor. I just did a comparison on another site using the new Sabre vs my Genesis V2 and there were things about it that were just ok and I didn't get that feeling at all although I wanted to. Example I've never struggled getting a handle on a head like I did with the Sabre and from the reviews I read I'm not the only one. The fact that the treads are cut almost into a rectangle I think is the problem. I didn't want to force it so it took more than a few times to get it on. A friend of mine who has one offered some advice on how to get it on easier so I'm hoping that issue will be solved. Don't get me wrong it is an efficient razor and it has decent glide but not in the same league with the Timeless, General Brass, Genesis. The Guerilla also has better glide to me. I think I need more time with the Sabre. we'll see.

Anyway back to the Guerilla it almost feels like a hybrid or crossover between a SE and DE razor if that make any sense at all. I really like it and as of right now it's a keeper for sure.
Let me know how you like you're Sabre after you get it.

I may have to try a Timeless again, I got it when I was still pretty new with DE and it would give me a bit of a raw feel after. It could've of been me, well it probably was me as the start of this year I seemed to really dial in my technique. I never tried the level 3 Charcoal Goods, I had a level 1 and it was great, sings really nicely! The screws on the Sabre is a concern for me as well, so I'll see how that goes, if it's not a go then maybe Timeless again or OB. I love how the OneBlade loads(never used one just going by videos), I think I like what ATT did with how their GEM loads the blade too.

Enjoy the Guerrilla, and good luck with the Wolfman your after, once you see a polished Wolfman it'll really wow you.

Top Bottom