What's new

Finally tried Haslinger

I got my shipment from TVB this afternoon. Scents are interesting -- in no particular order, meersalgen has a faintly spicy soapy smell. Faint but not offensive. Salbei has a faint sage odor along with soap. slightly sweet. Coconut smells like coconut and baby powder. Honig smells of honey, faintly, and baby powder, less so than the coconut. Aloe Vera smells very much like the Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo in the 70's, if you are old enough to remember it. Sandholz is a faint, sweet sandalwood scent, pretty light. Hard to describe the Ringenblumen, it reminds me of something but I can't remember what, probably a soap product.

All are very light, the strongest is the Schafsmilch, which is strongly "powder" scented. Still not very strong, and while I thought I'd not like it initally, it's just sort of old fashioned, reminds me of the locker room at the "Y" fifty years ago when the old guys would shower after family swim.

Will decide which one to try next week, I'm attempting to 3017 some williams, which is not cooperating.

Howdy, hit the soap forum and saw this thread.....used my first every puck up today. It was something not too interesting, Henry Cavendish..... I guess I ordered my Hasslinger pucks too late, they won't be in the post box until Wednesday. My interest for them is the source being an Austrian firm in Vienna. My wife is an Austrian, so I can score some bonus points for sure.....

I have a ceramic apothecary mug and the first soap puck literally came with a pamphlet that said to simply microwave for a few seconds to get it to shape into the mug bottom. It did, but what about the Hasslinger pucks? It seems these are purely vegan sourced soaps after reading about the products on the Haslinger website (in German!). Suggestions on compacting my new pucks?

Photo Jan 11, 1 25 58 PM.jpg 2016-04-10 07.23.19.jpg

Muhle made a beautiful dish for them.

Or cut a couple of pucks up and easily form into your favorite jar.

I'm on my second puck of Sandalwood and I've ordered another for my dad. It smells like the soap I remember my dad using growing up. I haven't touched the meerslagen since I first tried it. I can't use it as shower soap. It's too drying. I used up my Honig puck that way with no ill effects. I used it to shave longer than the seaweed. The honig reminds me of the sensitive skin soap I used as a child. Sandalwood is the only one I've tried that doesn't smell like bar soap, shampoo or body lotion.

I have a ceramic apothecary mug and the first soap puck literally came with a pamphlet that said to simply microwave for a few seconds to get it to shape into the mug bottom. It did, but what about the Hasslinger pucks?

That method usually only works with glycerin-based soaps. Best not try it with others. Most gents grate their pucks with a cheese grater and press it into a mug or other container. Some add a little water to the shreds to bind them together.

It seems these are purely vegan sourced soaps after reading about the products on the Haslinger website (in German!).

Yes: the website says that Haslinger's products are all-vegan. But the shaving soaps are tallow soaps. Look at the ingredients list on the soap itself: it contains potassium tallowate and sodium tallowate.

An interesting discrepancy!

That method usually only works with glycerin-based soaps. Best not try it with others. Most gents grate their pucks with a cheese grater and press it into a mug or other container. Some add a little water to the shreds to bind them together.

Yes: the website says that Haslinger's products are all-vegan. But the shaving soaps are tallow soaps. Look at the ingredients list on the soap itself: it contains potassium tallowate and sodium tallowate.

An interesting discrepancy!

Pretty sure I've seen posts about this before. Basically what they are saying is that their normal soaps (not shaving) are vegan.

Lesson learned, come back to the boards first....read, apply lesson. Hard way, tried microwave, nearly burned it...it was funny! Look in the microwave and this "foam" looking beast climbing out of the mug! Smelled bad....soap cleaned up and while warm smashed down into the bottom of the mug....good grief, how can I possibly be an engineer by day? Next puck will start with the cheese grater and a coarse grind approach :) Trying the Salbei (sage) firstly..

Tried Marigold today, man this stuff lathers up fast! I'll load less next time, lather was too dry even with adding water several times. Great soap. And a little goes a LONG way, it will take me forever to use this one up.

Very nice shave too.

Peter

Lesson learned, come back to the boards first....read, apply lesson. Hard way, tried microwave, nearly burned it...it was funny! Look in the microwave and this "foam" looking beast climbing out of the mug! Smelled bad....soap cleaned up and while warm smashed down into the bottom of the mug....good grief, how can I possibly be an engineer by day? Next puck will start with the cheese grater and a coarse grind approach :) Trying the Salbei (sage) firstly..

Live and learn! Enjoy the sage.

I received my order from TVB Shaving today. Not bad timing 12 days from ordering to receipt. I received, Honig, Meerschagen, and Ringenblumen (pardon any misspelling). My only problem is that I still have a large amount of my original puck of Salbei I started last October 1. Insured wonder how long it will last. I really like it but want to finish it before I start a new puck.

I tried it recently and it was OK but nothing that makes it stand out. It does make very thick lather but it isnt the slickest soap in the world.
I ended up shaving with it 3 or 4 times and washing the rest of the puck down the drain.

I tried it recently and it was OK but nothing that makes it stand out. It does make very thick lather but it isnt the slickest soap in the world.
I ended up shaving with it 3 or 4 times and washing the rest of the puck down the drain.

At least the drain enjoyed it.

In 25 years of wet shaving having used the majority of soaps mentioned on the forums Haslinger is a top 5 soap at least.

If you got a thick lather (as opposed to a gloppy one), it likely means that not enough water was incorporated, which means it didn't achieve all the slickness it's capable of (which is better than Tabac, even), which means . . . it went down the drain. Sad!

No soap or cream will be as slick as it can be unless you make gloppy lathers with it. Once you do, you find out you can make a slick lather out of darn near anything.

Well, tallow based soap rocks compared to glycerin! The fragrance is not as strong when it lathered....but the soap lather on my face blows away the first puck of Henry Cavendish....my daughter will spend almost 2 weeks in Vorarlberg with my in-laws this Summer, guess what mission I am sending her on? Oh yeah, fill up a duffel with Haslinger Rasierseife und Schnapps! The neighbors make their own Schnapps not sure if any brick and mortar sells the soaps locally...online over there for 6 euros, with shipping might be no better price than here in U.S., .....well at least the Schnapps!

Halinger is great, for sure. Glycerine soaps work fine, but you have to make very wet lather, they go sticky if the lather is "dry". Ditto for Haslinger, it's very easy to overload the brush and end up with a huge amount of un-needed lather!

Not en

You needed more water.

Halinger is great, for sure. Glycerine soaps work fine, but you have to make very wet lather, they go sticky if the lather is "dry". Ditto for Haslinger, it's very easy to overload the brush and end up with a huge amount of un-needed lather!

Hi! Just for anyone interested in Haslinger shaving soaps: Non of these are glycerine-based. Some contain glycerin (not much as one can derive from the INCI lists) but they are tallow-based shaving soaps. So adding quite a good amount of water is definitely a must to produce not only a thick, creamy but also slick lather.

Cheers
Christian

Top Bottom