What's new

Finally tried Haslinger

Isn't it funny how people smell things differently. Schafmilch smells strong and bad? I can't say I've ever experienced that. It's a mild scent, slightly soapy with maybe a touch of lilac for scent.

I don't even think it really had a scent.

Isn't it funny how people smell things differently. Schafmilch smells strong and bad? I can't say I've ever experienced that. It's a mild scent, slightly soapy with maybe a touch of lilac for scent.

+2! For me schafmilch has a very pleasant, soapy aroma. It does not clash with my AS. But YMMV for sure!

I've now tried two pucks of Haslinger, Salbei (Sage) and Meerslagen (seaweed). I haven't been able to detect any scent on either of them. I'm not complaining mind you. I really like and enjoy the lather so the scent, or lack there-of, doesn't bother me. I'm just curious as to the scents.

I haven't used one, but ordered 20 Haslingers in this month. And i can smell them through their cellophane packaging. Not strong scents and not elaborated scents, but i can smell them...

Many soaps load much more easily than commonly thought, with the result that there is far too much soap in the brush to ever get enough water to make slick lather.

Good observation. I have been saying this for a long time, and I suspect that it's one of the biggest mistakes of all in traditional wet shaving.

Everyone who is having trouble generating an ideal lather should at least consider this possibility, as it's an easy fix if this be the problem.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It can certainly happen but it's easy to troubleshoot. Turn the faucet on to a mild stream of water, and hold the razor under it - if the lather doesn't rinse off cleanly, the lather is too dry, not enough water or too much product.

Cheers, Steve

Lol, when I watch some of the guys on youtube making lather I have to laugh, they use an amazing amount of soap, and the red face when they get done shaving tells me they aren't getting much slickness (along with the very high, scraping razor angle).

Slick is all that counts, volume, so long as there is enough the soap doesn't dry before you get the razor past, is of no importance. Williams doesn't make piles of hard dry foam, but it sure is slick, and I get a good shave every time.

Lol, when I watch some of the guys on youtube making lather I have to laugh, they use an amazing amount of soap, and the red face when they get done shaving tells me they aren't getting much slickness (along with the very high, scraping razor angle).

Slick is all that counts, volume, so long as there is enough the soap doesn't dry before you get the razor past, is of no importance. Williams doesn't make piles of hard dry foam, but it sure is slick, and I get a good shave every time.

I agree that slickness at the end is what matters. With Proraso White, at least in this period of heat wave (i can't remember earlier), i can build a very good lather in the bowl, but when i brush it on my face, it's very thin, to the point that i see my skin below. I tried loading 40 sec, 1 min, less water, more water, other bowl, big Omega, smaller Omega, nothing. The lather looks amazing in the bowl, with peaks, thick and merengue like, but it won't stick on my face much. Further water only makes it even thinner.

BUT, the little layer that is there, is slick and i get a very good shave, so i don't try to fight it anymore. On the other hand, with TOBS, the lather seems more airy , but gets thicker layer on my skin. Also works.

I get great lathers with Haslinger.

But,yesterday I had to do a quick shave with a cartridge Atra. I rubbed wet Haslinger Sage on my face by hand and with no brush. No a bad shave -- better than canned goo.

Top Bottom