What's new

Fifteen-minute straight razor challenge

I’m slow I can’t help it
Lather takes me about 3 mins, WTG pass about 5-6 mins minimum and xtg, atg and touch up all about the same I need a 4 pass shave, my beard is dense and coarse and stubborn. After the shave with a still wet face I brush my teeth, rinse the shaving brush then dry off. AS splash, then I rinse and dry the blade, palm strop, linen strop. Wipe the inside of the scales with tissue paper and return the razor to its box. The whole thing is taking me about 40 mins lately. Add in 10 mins in the shower and it’s 50.
I’ve had over 500 shaves. I can do a quick 1 pass shave and cleanup in 15 mins but it would annoy me all day.

I have to bring this one back. Today I loafed around a little too long and had only 3 hours to mow my lawn, go with my oldest daughter to her basketball practice and sign waivers, and take my youngest to soccer practice 20 minutes away. Long story short I had less than 30 minutes to shower and shave after mowing. About 2 minutes to strop (and I cut it short), say 8 minutes to shower, and I spent about 12 minutes on my shave start to finish. I must say after traveling the past week and being back to my SR for the first time in 8 days, it was still a joy if it was rushed. Definitely a very good shave if not DFS. No crazy nicks but a smidge of mild irritation in a couple of spots. Face is BBS if rubbing WTG, rubbing ATG you can feel a little scuff here and there. More than SAS, it would pass military standards with flying colors (which isn’t saying much these days).

I hear you 5whiskey.

I shave in under 10 minutes not through choice but through necessity. Once I finish in the gym I have 60 minutes to do the 3 S's, get dressed, have breakfast, make my lunch, and get to the train station with a frequently late son.

While I spend a very short time shaving, I can feel my face throughout the day and getting satisfaction from how close the shave was. Finally I dive into bed awaiting the whisker fairy, who gives me something to work on the next morning.

I understand this is a hypothetical question, stil...

I switched to SR shaving because I enjoy it, it's relaxing, it's fun and it's a better way to shave irritation free.

If I'd be so pressed for time, I still have my R41 and can do a WTG/XTG/ATG in probably under 2 minutes. But then, I am not pressed for time.

If this was a real life question, my advice would be to get up 10 minutes earlier. Problem solved. 😎

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I made a new shave video the other day and it took 11 minutes to adjust cam and tripod, gab, BS, beat around the bush, and talk a lot, then strop, lather, shave, and yak some more, and that with about 1" of growth saved up over several weeks. Totally bloodless, too. The actual shaving part was I guess 5 minutes, 6 minutes tops. Wasn't trying to go fast, either. It doesn't take long if your razor is sharp. If I was speed shaving, with only a day or two of growth, and right out of the shower, I could probably do a DFS single pass in 3 minutes. I just don't feel motivated to do that. If I'm in a hurry, I just don't shave.

I made a new shave video the other day and it took 11 minutes to adjust cam and tripod, gab, BS, beat around the bush, and talk a lot, then strop, lather, shave, and yak some more, and that with about 1" of growth saved up over several weeks. Totally bloodless, too. The actual shaving part was I guess 5 minutes, 6 minutes tops. Wasn't trying to go fast, either. It doesn't take long if your razor is sharp. If I was speed shaving, with only a day or two of growth, and right out of the shower, I could probably do a DFS single pass in 3 minutes. I just don't feel motivated to do that. If I'm in a hurry, I just don't shave.
Can you post a link @Slash McCoy?

I'm only seeing the older ones on your channel Slash McCoy - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGHnaocr-UIY8ByLnxe-XrQ/videos

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I can't concentrate posing for the camera and adjusting the tripod and speed shave at the same time. But maybe in the morning I will see just how fast I can shave right out of the shower. I just got a Feather AC knockoff in the mail the other day and I happen to have a Pro Super blade I can stick in it. Or I can use the same GD66 or another model. I could use a Bismarck or a vintage this or that, but that would sort of be cheating since so many guys here are stuck with GDs. Actually the Shavette would be cheating, too. No stropping.

So do we codify some rules for this, or what? Does stropping time count? Is there a minimum number of laps on the leather? I would presume that it is okay to presoak brush and soap. Do we have to make a video for proof? @Sukeroku, this was your idea. Do we make this an official competition, with rules? Or just a general challenge to shave in under 15 minutes? Proof required, or honor system? Am I overthinking this? Oh gotta go...

I can't concentrate posing for the camera and adjusting the tripod and speed shave at the same time. But maybe in the morning I will see just how fast I can shave right out of the shower. I just got a Feather AC knockoff in the mail the other day and I happen to have a Pro Super blade I can stick in it. Or I can use the same GD66 or another model. I could use a Bismarck or a vintage this or that, but that would sort of be cheating since so many guys here are stuck with GDs. Actually the Shavette would be cheating, too. No stropping.

So do we codify some rules for this, or what? Does stropping time count? Is there a minimum number of laps on the leather? I would presume that it is okay to presoak brush and soap. Do we have to make a video for proof? @Sukeroku, this was your idea. Do we make this an official competition, with rules? Or just a general challenge to shave in under 15 minutes? Proof required, or honor system? Am I overthinking this? Oh gotta go...

damn, slash that was more than a little growth.........you sure you work with razors????? lol jk.

sheep shearin' video there. well we no have a first hand account of the face mashing techinique!!!! I don't shave the stache so I at least have an idea about that now.

thanks for sharing the link @KrstGor

camo

Originally I thought to include prep time but that varies based on folk's preferences (I do a lot of prep with hot towels and 25 laps each on canvas, suede, and cordovan plus making lather). So, let's make it from your first stroke to your last. How does that sound?

damn, slash that was more than a little growth.........you sure you work with razors????? lol jk.

sheep shearin' video there. well we no have a first hand account of the face mashing techinique!!!! I don't shave the stache so I at least have an idea about that now.

thanks for sharing the link @KrstGor

camo
You're welcome @camoloc 😀

And for all you "balsa-fanatics" out there (pun intended) here's the Master preaching, in case you haven't seen it. It ain't my thing as you all know, but I have no problem sharing it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
This morning's shave, Feather AC SS knockoff with new Feather Pro Super blade. Soap, Arko. Brush, 30mm WD silvertip. Shave time including lather, towel, and AS was 3:15 and I would call it DFS. I was shooting for 3min but fear of bloodshed held me back. Oh, yeah, no cuts. I don't think I am prepared to push it any harder. Sorry, no vid. Just because I didn't have time this morning to set it up.

This morning's shave, Feather AC SS knockoff with new Feather Pro Super blade. Soap, Arko. Brush, 30mm WD silvertip. Shave time including lather, towel, and AS was 3:15 and I would call it DFS. I was shooting for 3min but fear of bloodshed held me back. Oh, yeah, no cuts. I don't think I am prepared to push it any harder. Sorry, no vid. Just because I didn't have time this morning to set it up.
Very impressive. That is WilliPeter99 Jedi level. However, I am going to have to see a video to verify! I am considering putting up a new challenge based on the rules discussed. Videos will be mandatory.

Top Bottom