What's new

Fifteen-minute straight razor challenge

When I saw this I was reminded of a passage from the book 3 Men on a Bummel

" I remembered that I had not shaved. It vexes Ethelbertha my shaving quickly. She fears that to outsiders it may suggest a poor-spirited attempt at suicide, and that in consequence it may get about the neighbourhood that we are not happy together."

The book was written when Straight Razors were in common use.

I don't get it.

When I was DE shaving I could regularly get BBS in three passes in ~20 minutes including a shower. I've been shaving with straights for about two years now and I regularly get BBS in three passes in about 40 minutes, again including a shower.

Maybe I could speed it up. Maybe I could get by with fewer passes. But why? If I'm pressed for time I use a SE or a DE. But that's unusual since I plan my morning to make time for a nice, leisurely, enjoyable, three-pass straight razor shave.

Yes, I need to shave daily to feel presentable, so shaving is a "task", a "chore". But truth be told, I thoroughly enjoy it. I look forward to it. It sets me up for the day to come. Why would I try to minimize time doing something that I enjoy so much?

Nope, I don't get the desire to get it over with quickly.

I have been using a straight for around five years now, I am still damn slow though.
I am getting old and my left hand misbehaves if I was to rush I think there would be blood where it shouldn't be. Doesn't really matter though as I am retired and enjoy my shave so I shall continue to take all the time I need.
I have a DE and shaving gel if I did need to rush.

According to my iPhone's stopwatch, last night's two pass ultra-fine shave lasted 4 minutes, 49 seconds.
I wasn't rushing but wasn't messing about either.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I Broke The 30 Minute Barrier!

I have been unable to do this for months. It took a lot of practice and planning, but this morning I broke my 30 minute SR shaving time while still sticking with two passes and getting my desired DFS finish.

Those of you who are envious of me may ask how I did it so I'll tell you. I changed almost all of my routine.
  • Increased stropping laps to 80 and slowed down the stropping speed.
  • Washed my face twice with bath soap before face lathering.
  • Increased my lather build-up time.
  • Slowed my shave strokes down.
  • Applied a post-shave balm and massaged it well in.
All up, 32 minutes.

You should try it. It can be done!

I could but wouldnt want to.

20-25 for 2 1/2 passes and drinking coffee!!!!

camo
Agree. Rushing a straight razor shave is an accident waiting to happen. A 15 minute shave/touch up is what safety razors are for...Good to have around.

I have been unable to do this for months. It took a lot of practice and planning, but this morning I broke my 30 minute SR shaving time while still sticking with two passes and getting my desired DFS finish.

Those of you who are envious of me may ask how I did it so I'll tell you. I changed almost all of my routine.
All up, 32 minutes.

+1 brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All up, 32 minutes.

throw in some coffee which requires some lather clearing after passes......and you can add even a couple more minutes to your time!!!!!

camo

Agree. Rushing a straight razor shave is an accident waiting to happen. A 15 minute shave/touch up is what safety razors are for...Good to have around.

not worried about safety......dont want to rush because then I'd miss out on the wonderful process and "me" time.

soap scents only last for a little while after post shave.........I want to enjoy the scents I've collected for as long as possible.

85 shaves in on this whole deal and I've mastered enough to know it is a truly wonderous almost lost art......from setting up making shave ready, to maintaining, to perfected execution. not many of us in the world that would choose to follow this art.

I could wear a clip on bowtie.......but choose self tie out of sheer principle.

with a lot of things I believe some of the old ways are better.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
throw in some coffee which requires some lather clearing after passes......and you can add even a couple more minutes to your time!!!!!
I'll try that tomorrow but I'm a Bushells tea man so will drink that. I have to important my tea as they mostly only have Lipton "tea" available in Cebu.

camo
I’ve tried to drink a great cup of coffee In my master bath while i shave in the past on a relaxing crisp and cool morning, I just really struggled to integrate the sips into the passes. I dont think i ever tried it again and just enjoy the brew after or before.

to be honest though, i think i could do it if was ever out for a weekend fishing or camping. That feels right. And thinking about that, i realize i dont have a brush that i would take with me on that type of trip! Or a good minimal travel dopp kit, army style case.

My brother in law is in a cool movie, available on youtube, called operation gorgona, that has an intro shave scene iirc, with the soldier sitting and shaving in this way i am kinda thinking about.. maybe... its been a while since i saw it.

Starts at 3:50

Last edited:
I’ve tried to drink a great cup of coffee In my master bath while i shave in the past on a relaxing crisp and cool morning, I just really struggled to integrate the sips into the passes. I dont think i ever tried it again and just enjoy the brew after or before.

to be honest though, i think i could do it if was ever out for a weekend fishing or camping. That feels right. And thinking about that, i realize i dont have a brush that i would take with me on that type of trip! Or a good minimal travel dopp kit, army style case.

My brother in law is in a cool movie, available on youtube, called operation gorgona, that has an intro shave scene iirc, with the soldier sitting and shaving in this way i am kinda thinking about.. maybe... its been a while since i saw it.

I just have to clear the stache area after I'm finished with cheeks to jawline. towel always on my left for this purpose.....and of course in between complete passes. usually my only cup in the morning.......damn hoosier humidity.

camo

was that a gillette? rushed shave......would have had the gent wait!!!!

camo

I haven't timed myself in awhile so I gave it a go yesterday. I let my brush soak while I took a shower and started the timer after I had toweled off. It took me 18 minutes to prep soap, shave, post shave clean up and strop. No major blood loss.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When I saw this I was reminded of a passage from the book 3 Men on a Bummel

" I remembered that I had not shaved. It vexes Ethelbertha my shaving quickly. She fears that to outsiders it may suggest a poor-spirited attempt at suicide, and that in consequence it may get about the neighbourhood that we are not happy together."

The book was written when Straight Razors were in common use.
I doubt I ever need a full 15 minutes to shave. Seems like a long time.

Top Bottom