What's new

FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2024 Edition

FFFMM 2024 Day 23, Shave 23:

Razor:
Gillette Slim Adjustable set on #2 for pass 1, then #5
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (7)
Soap: Williams Barbers' Bar Soap (52)
Brush: Semogue Excelsior 830

I felt a little tugging on #2 and discovered that the TTO door-closing mechanism wasn't quite tight. The mechanism was a bit stiff. After the shave I cleaned the razor up a bit and added a little oil around the moving parts. Now it tightens smoothly once again.

Only 8 more shaves to go!

I haven't posted and update in a while. Still going with the Schick Dial Injector, Chick blade, Semogue boar brush, and Stirling Almond Creme soap.

I put in a new blade a week ago. There is no need to extend a blade for the entire month, but these injector blades last 10-14 days in regular use and easily can go longer. I'm also trying to determine how much difference the different dial settings make. The cam in the dial moves the safety bar up and down, varying the blade gap. In practice I can sometimes feel the difference between a small and large gap but the effect is slight. I don't know that it affects the quality of the shave. I even switched back and forth between setting 3 and 7 during today's shave. I think I can feel a difference but maybe it's just psychological. Research continues....

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Fixed Four:
Shave 12 - roughly 58 hour growth (10 hours ago)

Soap: Phoenix and Beau Iceni
Brush: Edwin Jagger 19mm best badger
Razor: Game Changer 84-P head on Edwin Jagger DE3D14 handle
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (13th shave)

Forgot to post last night's shave for some reason. As the brush breaks in and the scritch changes, so does the lathering behaviour, or so it seems. Last night lather wasn't great. I got it all too airy, and I think I might need to reevaluate what this brush needs in terms of handling, to give me the lather I need.

I still fudged my way to a great shave, but it needed a little more concentration than it should have done.

Sunday March 24 - FFFMM shave #13

Leaf Thorn
BIC halfblade (6)
Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Proraso Green

RR American Barber

IMG-DSC_6036 (2).JPG

...I'm also trying to determine how much difference the different dial settings make. The cam in the dial moves the safety bar up and down, varying the blade gap. In practice I can sometimes feel the difference between a small and large gap but the effect is slight. I don't know that it affects the quality of the shave. I even switched back and forth between setting 3 and 7 during today's shave. I think I can feel a difference but maybe it's just psychological. Research continues....
If you are riding the cap, it probably wouldn't make a difference. If you are riding the safety bar, then it should make a noticeable difference. If you are somewhere in between with your blade angle, then the effect could vary from nil to a lot.

FFFMM 2024: Shave 9

1711308769725.png

Razor: Gillette flat bottom English Tech
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (9) Flipped
Pre-shave: GD Preshave
Shaving Cream: Canada Shaving Soap
Brush: Omega Jade
Aftershave: Ethos Clean

I haven't shaved for well over a week due to the Mother of All Zits taking root right next to my lips. Maybe it's an ingrown hair? It's almost gone now and I took a long comfortable shave this morning. Gah, I'd forgotten how uncomfortable a week of growth is for me now. So itchy!

I didn't want this to happen but I'm afraid I'm getting brainwashed by the Cult of GSB - this 8th shave felt as smooth and close as the 2nd shave! I have been mixing up singal and dual pass shaves this month, this morning's was a single pass and it's dang near DFS levels. Last month I started regularly flipping my blade each shave, that could be helping as well. I thought I prefered the Gillette Platinum to the GSB but my mind is changing now after this FFFMM. I'm laughing I'm going to make it through FFFMM with only a single blade. Like OBiF all over.

CSS is great but I think my other soaps do generally offer a little more, it's different in each comparison. Paired with GD Preshave, however, CSS is right in there with the best of the shaving soaps. And it does build lather really easily, MdC easy.

Now after 20ish shaves I think I'm finally seeing a dent in the top of the soap. This jar is going to last forever!

FFFMM Sunday March 24/2024

Blade - Single Use Feather
Razor - Lupo OC95 driven with a Chiseled Face Pineapple Twist Titanium Handle
Brush - Zenith Boar B35-31x57mm
Soap - SV-Franken - Three combined soaps Felce Aromatica, Tundra Artica, Cosmo

IMG_0494.jpeg

The fourth FFFMM. The four “F’s” definitely a charm. The fixed four is all about eliminating variables in your shave process. The tighter you lock in on variables. The easier it is to explore the individual limits of the assembled kit. The Lupo’s efficiency has increased each week. The second and third week I had reestablished an ASP (ATG Single Pass shave) for face and head. Last week’s concentration also focused on follow up buffing after the shave stroke. This week’s face and head whiskers are noticeably shorter. My weekly shaves have always been designed to incorporate fewer shave strokes with elevated skin comfort. Closing off my fifth year of DE I’m delighted that comfort improvements continue. A happy hobby with great dividends.

The Gentle Wolf
Every razor and blade combination requires repeated practice with muscle memory to achieve an ultra soft touch. Three years with the Grande had achieved that touch albeit, it took about two and half years to get there. The Lupo’s dozen or so shaves have brought me to the same threshold. The razors balance is better as is the maneuverability, from what the Grande could deliver. Something I had’nt done before. Incorporating buffing within my short shave strokes. I was not able to accomplish this stroke with the Grande. My ATG Single Pass Shave improved once again in closeness and skin comfort. An unexpected win-win. I believe the weekly shorter whisker growth is a major factor in using this combination stroke. Continued use with this locked four my only shave kit. Practice and refinement of the shave stroke will improve. The shaves are the closest I’ve achieved in over a half century of shaving. You might almost think the Wolf has no teeth, that would be a mistake though. Large blade gap and extension result in a very high efficiency. The Gentle Wolf with big teeth.

Happy Shaves

IMG_1119.jpeg

#14 in 2024 GRUYERE shave sebaticle

#22 GRUME March 2024

FFFMM

Date: 03.24.24

Days growth: 6

Head and face shave

Razor: Gillette Slim

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue

Brush: Simpson 57 best badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Johnson and Johnson on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso Red soap

Passes: 3 all on setting 5 plus cleanups. WTG XTG ATG

Post Shave Routine and products:

1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2

2 - Cold rinse

3 - Alum block

4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1

5 - Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods

6 - Balm: LEA 3 in 1

Notes: This was a stellar shave! All players worked great and my technique was on point.

Quality: 10

Comfort: 10

Enjoyment: 10

Overall: 10

If you are riding the cap, it probably wouldn't make a difference. If you are riding the safety bar, then it should make a noticeable difference. If you are somewhere in between with your blade angle, then the effect could vary from nil to a lot.
That makes sense. I ride a little off the cap so I notice a slight difference. I always find that with milder razors have a narrower range of effective shaving angles. I may be compensating.

FFFMM 2024: Shave 13.
Date: March 25, 2024.
Razor: Rockwell Stainless in Red, base plate 6.
Blade: Voskhod, blade 13.
Pre-shave Wash: Hot water and Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
Shaving Cream: Laser Shaving Cream Lemon.
Brush: Bombay Shaving Company Synthetic.
Post Shave: Cold water splash and MiNature Alum Block.
Aftershave: Jovan Sex Appeal.

🧑‍🚀🌝🪐💫☄️ SOTD March 25th 🛰️🛸🚀📡🌞
FFFMM (Fixed Four For March Madness) 2024

Hello friends

I've been lazy the last few days and ended up not shaving. Beautiful Monday and I was excited to shave my 5 day beard. My choices for this tenth FFFMM 2024 were perfect:

Greencult 2.0 plate II
Gillette Silver Blue (2)
SV Manna di Sicilia
Semogue SOC Mistura

I finished with the splendid Proraso Red AS.

Today, a tribute to Maurizio Pollini, this magnificent artist who unfortunately left us last Saturday.

Rating: 10

Have a nice week and great shaves!
❤️🪒

89A5CC3B-6E6B-466C-AA6E-022D094928BA.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg

FFFMM 2024 Day 25, Shave 25:

Razor:
Gillette Slim Adjustable set on #2 and #5
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (1)
Soap: Williams Barbers' Bar Soap (54)
Brush: Semogue Excelsior 830

I started a fresh 7 O'Clock Green this morning and reaped the benefits. Nice and smooth. Only one more 7 O'Clock Green on hand after this one but should have no trouble crossing the finish line before I run out.

Only 6 more shaves to go before the end of March. On the home stretch!

Top Bottom