Brush:
Omega 11126
Blade:
Astra SP (4th shave on 4th blade)
Soap:
Van der Hagen (using rain water)
Prep:
Results:
Liquid Anti-Bacterial face and hand soap.
Rating 10.0 / A BBS shave with no nicks or irritation. I left the pre-shave soap and 1st lather application soak in for several minutes.

FFFMM SOTD
SOTD-Y2_2020-02-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 22/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: RazoRock GC84 with custom resin handle
Blade: Polsilver SI (13)

What's happening? That was another five-day shave.:letterk1: I do prefer to shave daily but maybe there's a reason (that I didn't realize) why this has happened twice already during the FFFMM.

One thing's for sure, it's easy to see the whisker growth direction after five days (especially for me as my whiskers grow nearly parallel to my skin). This has made it easy to spot slight direction changes in a few areas. And that makes it easier to adjust the angle of attack (WTG/XTG/ATG).

So, once again (though not at the shave frequency I prefer), another very nice BBS shave. :biggrin1:

My twenty first FFFFMM shave 3/21/2020. Two passes north to south and one pass east to west.
Razor: Gillette NLC with custom handle.
Brush: Made Rite #44 24mm Silvertip (restored)
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Cream: Proraso White

IMG_0476.JPG

Shave 20

Prep: Hot shower, Musgo Real Lime Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Rex Supply Envoy
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Brush: Parker Long Loft Badger
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Post-Shave: Osma Tradition Alum Block, cold water rinse
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Cat O'Nine Tails

This is getting repetitive, which I guess is sort of the point. Four pass BBS, no nicks, weepers, or irritation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry guys. I backed off this time but will be more prepared the next time. I came to know of this Fixed Four thing only on Feb 29 and hurried onto it with shaving supplies I was new to. I chose the Pearl LS-55 Closed Comb razor and the BIC Chrome Platinum blades which I was already comfortable with but only had the Gaia Shaving Cream which I had only used once before because the others in my rotation were not a month's worth. This shaving cream didn't give me close shaves and was giving me a burning sensation on application after the first pass and the second pass. Still was coping up with it until I started to develop some itching and mild rashes too. So I had to step out of the Fixed Four and start using another cream. Since I had done only 2 shaves by then in March I thought of at least sticking with to this new cream for the rest of the month to avoid the feeling of guilt. Then came the next blow. My trusted Parker Best Badger knot came off halfway through in a shave. Still managed to complete that shave by just holding the base of the knot and applying the lather that I had already built with it in a bowl. Tried putting it back with a glue gun and some string glue. The feel of it is gone and it's no longer usable. Had to switch over to my Pink Woolf boar brush.

Now that I know it happens every March the next time I will be better prepared by stocking up supplies in advance to go through the month without interruption. Excuse me this time. Sorry about it. :-(

Sorry guys. I backed off this time but will be more prepared the next time. I came to know of this Fixed Four thing only on Feb 29 and hurried onto it with shaving supplies I was new to. I chose the Pearl LS-55 Closed Comb razor and the BIC Chrome Platinum blades which I was already comfortable with but only had the Gaia Shaving Cream which I had only used once before because the others in my rotation were not a month's worth. This shaving cream didn't give me close shaves and was giving me a burning sensation on application after the first pass and the second pass. Still was coping up with it until I started to develop some itching and mild rashes too. So I had to step out of the Fixed Four and start using another cream. Since I had done only 2 shaves by then in March I thought of at least sticking with to this new cream for the rest of the month to avoid the feeling of guilt. Then came the next blow. My trusted Parker Best Badger knot came off halfway through in a shave. Still managed to complete that shave by just holding the base of the knot and applying the lather that I had already built with it in a bowl. Tried putting it back with a glue gun and some string glue. The feel of it is gone and it's no longer usable. Had to switch over to my Pink Woolf boar brush.

Now that I know it happens every March the next time I will be better prepared by stocking up supplies in advance to go through the month without interruption. Excuse me this time. Sorry about it. :-(

Forgiven.
Repent and be baptized with Nivea Shave Balm.

You can still play along at home with your new Fixed Four.
:wink:

Reactions: Cal
March 22nd - 6th shave in the FFFMM...

Without the need to go out, I shave at the moment only once every 5-7 days. The FFFMM makes for me the perfect moment to work on the shave preparation. Last time, I used a shower and hot towel to prepare skin and beard. Today, I gave a try at pre-shave oil instead of the hot towel.

To my surprise, the change did not make a huge difference regarding shave comfort. Both provided an enjoyable, smooth experience with perfect glide and no drag. However, the oil made the R89 clogging much more often. The hot towel is definitely the better preparation than pre-shave oil, at least for a 5-days grow.

Well, as said, the Truefitt Apsley with R89 and derby blade provided a clean, smooth, hassle free experience.

I still need to figure out what pre-shave oil is really good for...

Hi,

You know, I do use another razor from time-to-time. Since I use a Slant to shave with, I use my Grandfather's Old Type to trim my sideburns. I want a straight line, and a Slant won't give me that.

In practice, what I do when I change the blade in my Slant on the 1st and 16th, the blade comes out of the Slant and goes into the Old Type. I trim with that once a week, on Sundays, which is what brought this to mind today.

I have participated in several of these Fixed Fours and never gave the Old Type as trimmer a second thought. Then, too, that isn't exactly shaving, is it?

Stan

Sorry to see you go ironfingers. :crying:

Being prepared definitely helps, and starting with a completely new-to-you piece of hardware of software generally tends to be a recipe for disaster.
You can still play along at home with your new Fixed Four. :wink:
+1 :cornut:

Being prepared definitely helps, and starting with a completely new-to-you piece of hardware of software generally tends to be a recipe for disaster.
I really lucked out, since I started with a brand new razor I’d never used before. It was for this reason, though, that I made sure to pick a trusty blade I’ve had lots of experience with. Less exciting, but seems like the right call seeing others’ struggles. It’s been a fun month and a great way to gain some familiarity with other members.

I really lucked out, since I started with a brand new razor I’d never used before. It was for this reason, though, that I made sure to pick a trusty blade I’ve had lots of experience with. Less exciting, but seems like the right call seeing others’ struggles. It’s been a fun month and a great way to gain some familiarity with other members.
I feel the same way. I must admit that my first couple of shaves with the Envoy were intimidating, having switched over from a Feather AS-D2 and being struck by the substantial blade feel of the Envoy. MWF and no pressure saved the day, however, and I've been getting terrific shaved all month. Without this commitment, I may have given up on the Envoy after my first try. Also, I'm using Gillette Silver Blue blades, which are a long time favorite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom