What's new

February 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in but if this puts me out, so be it...

I haven't had a barbershop shave for 5 years. It was the day I had the barber take it all off and went from a typical thinning (terrible looking) to my alter ego (see avatar) Mr. Clean! Long story short when my barber passed I'd told him a year or so before that once he passes I'll be taking it all off.

20230224_110410.jpg

20230224_120826.jpg

20230224_130719.jpg

Shave #16
- Still In -

• *MdC Fougère - SOTM
  • Morris & Forndran 2XL (28mm)
  • TI Sheffield - 6/8
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Minora Platinum (15)- OBIF
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Speick Splash
  • Proraso Wood & Spice balm
* SWS

This brush has quickly taken a top spot in my badger rotation, easily. I mean WOW, this thing destroys the hard soap and makes for an easy and delicate transformation on the face. 28mm of pure bliss. Tomorrow's shave will call for the BLK8, for comparison's sake.

Daddy-Daughter dance is tonight, so there's a possibility of another shave in my immediate future. Given today's yummy performance - totally unnecessary.

img_0907-jpg.1611258

Still in

2 day of growth

February GRUME : 14
2023 GRUYERE : 31

Razor : Baili BR179
Blade : Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (3)
Pre Shave : Shave Secret oil got it gotta use it
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Pure Cream
Brush : Simpson Trafalgar T2
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, , Proraso white AS balm

More or less inline with this week result, too much irritation for my own good.

On the bright side it is all downhill from here for February

Day 24, 85.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

A perfectly acceptable autopilot shave, followed by a careless tidy-up. Got a small but productive nick on my chin, and used styptic on it. Apart from that, a good DFS.

Not in, but the recent trip to Portugal didn't have me going crazy, either. I bought Ach Brito Lavanda and Agua de Colonia after shaves, two tubes of 444, and a tube of brushless Couto cream (it's a decent brushless). I laid hands on a puck of Musgo Real soap...and put it back down. I saw tubes of Denim cream...and left them on the shelf. It has gotten real easy to resist all of the Musgo Real products at current prices. I'll be back for March and many months after!

Date25.02.2023
365 days of shaving56/365 (100%)
GRUYERE56/365 (100%)
GRUME February25/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Old Type (thick cap)Tiger Platinum (10)Omega Proraso
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Dutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and only a couple of more days to completing my second GRUME and I think my first consecutive one ever. And I have this group too than for that. Specifically Hannes (@Multum in parvo) and Jack (@Jack Goossen) were very coaching and supportive. Thanks guys and all others in this group!!

I read in the OBiF thread that when the blade starts to waver you need to it it in a more aggressive razor. So today I loaded the Tiger on its 10(!) run into my WOT (Weatherly’s Old Type - @mgweatherly). W H A T A S H A V E!!! I had the most amazing time using the OT and it meant business. Wonderful start of this weekend!

Further details and more can be found in my journal here.
Enjoy your shave today.

Not in, but the recent trip to Portugal didn't have me going crazy, either. I bought Ach Brito Lavanda and Agua de Colonia after shaves, two tubes of 444, and a tube of brushless Couto cream (it's a decent brushless). I laid hands on a puck of Musgo Real soap...and put it back down. I saw tubes of Denim cream...and left them on the shelf. It has gotten real easy to resist all of the Musgo Real products at current prices. I'll be back for March and many months after!
Did you visit the Ach Brito storebn Lisbon, if that’s where you went

Did you visit the Ach Brito storebn Lisbon, if that’s where you went
I went to Porto this go around. I was in Lisbon in 2019, just before the start of the pandemic, and missed the Ach Brito store then. I made purchases at A Vida Portuguesa in Chiado. The A Vida Portuguesa Clerigos in Porto near Livraria Lello had a small selection of shaving goods. I was hoping to get the Alvarez Gomez version of Agua de Colonia there.

Semogue Saturdays!
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230224_050806199.jpg

RR Hawk and Feather AC (25), Semogue 830 & Cello Crema Da Barba

The ending first - what an enjoyable experience to splash lots of cold water after an excellent shave and apply a combination of soothing moisturizers to start the day!
The Cella soap is top tier in my opinion and brings up the imagery of eating chocolate covered cherries. The blade is still doing good - my skills and technique must have improved during the month because I am still getting DFS+ results without irritation.
Tomorrow is Synthetic Sundays!!!

Please take care of yourself...and each other.

I went to Porto this go around. I was in Lisbon in 2019, just before the start of the pandemic, and missed the Ach Brito store then. I made purchases at A Vida Portuguesa in Chiado. The A Vida Portuguesa Clerigos in Porto near Livraria Lello had a small selection of shaving goods. I was hoping to get the Alvarez Gomez version of Agua de Colonia there.
Should be able ff to Porto myself in September so will see what I can find. My colognes have all run out so will need to restock

Top Bottom