What's new

Featherweight?

I have a clutter of 7 razors in the mail on the way to me. I wanted only the metal twist handle Krona, but for the price also got some other junk. Additionally it looks like a Featherweight and maybe a Micromatic.
As a kid, my Mom always used a distinctive-looking Gem Junior, but that's as close as I've come to a Gem shave.
It looks like among the plethora of blades available, most are industrial and not for actual shaving. I did order 3 Gem coated blades from Ted Pella, and have also seen that Try-A-Blade has 4 different types of shaving blades.
Can anyone recommend any particular blade, and also a seller with reasonable prices?

I have a clutter of 7 razors in the mail on the way to me. I wanted only the metal twist handle Krona, but for the price also got some other junk. Additionally it looks like a Featherweight and maybe a Micromatic.
As a kid, my Mom always used a distinctive-looking Gem Junior, but that's as close as I've come to a Gem shave.
It looks like among the plethora of blades available, most are industrial and not for actual shaving. I did order 3 Gem coated blades from Ted Pella, and have also seen that Try-A-Blade has 4 different types of shaving blades.
Can anyone recommend any particular blade, and also a seller with reasonable prices?
Connaught UK

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Connaught is great. +3.

I’m assuming you’re in the US. Arizona perhaps? If you are, and want a quick blade to give the GEM a try, you can pick up a pack at a pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens. Just be sure to not get anything Carbon steel. I have had some rough shaves with those. I stick with stainless blades. PTFE coated are considered best by some. But for a couple of bucks you can get your feet wet, then seek out more blades later.

And the Featherweight is my favorite GEM razor despite its low status among the SE aficionados. Gives me the best SE shave of the bunch. And I’ve tried most of them. I don’t often use an SE. But when I do, it’s most often a Featherweight.

Connaught is great. +3.

I’m assuming you’re in the US. Arizona perhaps? If you are, and want a quick blade to give the GEM a try, you can pick up a pack at a pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens. Just be sure to not get anything Carbon steel. I have had some rough shaves with those. I stick with stainless blades. PTFE coated are considered best by some. But for a couple of bucks you can get your feet wet, then seek out more blades later.

And the Featherweight is my favorite GEM razor despite its low status among the SE aficionados. Gives me the best SE shave of the bunch. And I’ve tried most of them. I don’t often use an SE. But when I do, it’s most often a Featherweight.
How does the efficiency compare with a 1940’s Fat Handle Tech, Merkur HD 34C or a Muhle R89?

How does the efficiency compare with a 1940’s Fat Handle Tech, Merkur HD 34C or a Muhle R89?
GBerry, I have all 3. The Merkur 34C is always tradesmanlike. The Fat Handle Techs are a little bit less efficient than that but still good enough. The Muhle R89 is more like the Merkur for me.

I have an average beard thickness for a Caucasian and shave every day with a pre-shave and bowl lather.

Each requires 3 passes for a DFS. 2 passes with the featherweight does that for me. 3 passes and certainly BBS.

There is something about the GEM blades which likes my beard and skin. As always YMMV.

GBerry, I have all 3. The Merkur 34C is always tradesmanlike. The Fat Handle Techs are a little bit less efficient than that but still good enough. The Muhle R89 is more like the Merkur for me.

I have an average beard thickness for a Caucasian and shave every day with a pre-shave and bowl lather.

Each requires 3 passes for a DFS. 2 passes with the featherweight does that for me. 3 passes and certainly BBS.

There is something about the GEM blades which likes my beard and skin. As always YMMV.
Thanks for the quick reply.

The GEM coated blades are super smooth.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

The Featherweight is more efficient than all three of those razors by a good bit. But it is In the same smoothness category. Smooth and efficient is a good combination.

linty1

My wallet cries.
+4 for Connault, great shipping rates too. I love my featherweight, its not in the bestest shape and thinking of looking for a more pristine one.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Have you tried the Blackland Sabre L1? And how does the Featherweight shave compare to the Sabre? I’m thinking it would make a nice addition to my growing collection.
I have not tried a Sabre. I have tried dozens of SEs, modern and vintage. And the only one I really like a lot is the Featherweight. And I like the Micromatic ClogPruff a bit as well. All the others just aren’t for me. So I figured I’d stop buying SE razors a while ago.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried the Blackland Sabre L1? And how does the Featherweight shave compare to the Sabre? I’m thinking it would make a nice addition to my growing collection.
I have the Sabre L2. It's my favorite GEM blade razor. Even if you get a Sabre, you still need a Featherweight Deluxe. They don't cost a lot and are ridiculously good for the price.
20220516_083920~2.jpg

I have not tried a Sabre. I have tried dozens of SEs, modern and vintage. And the only one I really like a lot is the Featherweight. And I like the Micromatic ClogPruff a bit as well. All the others just aren’t for me. So I figured I’d stop buying SE razors a while ago.
I think this is in an area where I will have to try it!!!

Top Bottom