What's new

Feather Nightmare

Definitely, much less! It's more like using a DE razor in this respect, you barely need to touch the blade to your skin, it's so sharp it cuts with no effort. A traditional straight is less sharp, and has a stiffer blade, so it goes though stubble less easily. On the plus side, a traditional straight keeps its edge much longer, and is much more forgiving of imperfect technique. You can use a fair amount more pressure than you can with a Feather, and you're still unlikely to cut yourself or get razorburn.

At the moment, I'd still say I prefer to use my traditional straights. The Feather gives a great shave, but is quite different to a traditional razor (still good though). :smile:

Hi Steelforge,

You confirmed many of my assumptions.

Thanks for the perspective. :smile:

M

M_Uribe

Hi guys - I'm new to straight razor shaving, as well as new to this site. I've recently started with a DOVO 4/8 no frills carbon steel razor. I have about eight shaves or so. My question is, has anyone tried the pro guard blades? I understand the professional and super professional super blades are wicked sharp. I've been considering purchasing a feather no sharpen to get the hang of it so to speak. I guess if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Good luck!!!

Hi guys - I'm new to straight razor shaving, as well as new to this site. I've recently started with a DOVO 4/8 no frills carbon steel razor. I have about eight shaves or so. My question is, has anyone tried the pro guard blades? I understand the professional and super professional super blades are wicked sharp. I've been considering purchasing a feather no sharpen to get the hang of it so to speak. I guess if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Good luck!!!

Welcome to B&B and enjoy your stay!

Your question would've been best asked in a new thread but I can help you out. I have used all the Feather blades and the only one I recommend are the Pro Supers. They are more consistent and the blade sticks out of the razor at a better angle than the other blades. The Pro Guard blades are virtually unusable.

I hear your pain.... the following is NOT for the weak at heart. These are some pics from my first few feather run-in's.....

P1010094.JPG

P1010091.JPG

P1010090.JPG

P1010089.JPG

P1010088.JPG

After I got the hang of it, it provided superb shaves with zero irritation, but in my experience it is NOT like a standard straight razor, as I have NEVER had a problem with a "true" straight, but this feather kicked my *** 2 ways to Sunday the first week. Be VERY light, almost lay it totally flat, and take 'er easy and you'll hit the sweet spot.

Dude! You surely used Toooo much pressure on it! Try to have it at 30 degree angle and short soft strokes. I think Feathers are far more forgiving than shavettes since they are constructed in a better way/ higher quality.
Use pre shave oil, it might help.

Best regards!

I hope the original poster has learned how to shave with his Feather during the TEN YEARS that have past since he posted his photographs. This must be a new record in reviving.😁

I hope the original poster has learned how to shave with his Feather during the TEN YEARS that have past since he posted his photographs. This must be a new record in reviving.😁

If you're talking about Joel, I'm pretty sure he did, as he just recently awarded the Feather Straight Razor of the Year or something like that. I remember vividly because there was some grumbling about it not being a real straight.

Wow, this is a ten year old thread. Can't believe I've been on this site that long! Being almost 50, I've been on this site for 1 5th of my life.

I hear your pain.... the following is NOT for the weak at heart. These are some pics from my first few feather run-in's.....

P1010094.JPG

P1010091.JPG

P1010090.JPG

P1010089.JPG

P1010088.JPG

After I got the hang of it, it provided superb shaves with zero irritation, but in my experience it is NOT like a standard straight razor, as I have NEVER had a problem with a "true" straight, but this feather kicked my *** 2 ways to Sunday the first week. Be VERY light, almost lay it totally flat, and take 'er easy and you'll hit the sweet spot.

Ouch!

It's a cool looking razor. I wish feather would make it in a real blade. Not just a shavette. I'd totally buy one if it was.

Top Bottom