What's new

Feather Nightmare

Have fun with that!! In all seriousness, there's a great chance you'll love it. Have you used a straight before?? If not, you might want to work out the logistics by a run through with no blade. Then, pop a blade in, and shave a small patch off your arm. Then, gird your loins and have at it.

I've been shaving pretty much exclusively with the AC for about a year and a half, with a quick regression for traveling without a checked bag. Might try a traditional straight some day, but I can't really see myself going back to a DE.

Steelforge-

Yeah thanks a lot- was JUST getting the images of Joel out of my mind- and now you pull me back to THOSE photos:eek:

I have Feather A/C and use Super Pro Blades- Patience angle and pressure are key-

also use a very generous amount of shave cream/soap- because if you don't and skimp on quality there...... look at the photos of Joel again:a47:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The feather blade is very sharp indeed. As mentioned before, this is not like a regular straight shave ... much sharper and much less feedback and 'give'. The key is to use almost no pressure at all ... like the blade is hovering over the skin.

But once you get the hang of it, you'll no doubt love it.

Lol I just stumbled across this thread after missing it the first time around. I kinda wish I'd seen this before placing an order for a Feather Artist Club DX yesterday!! :eek:

Oh well, at least I have a years experience using straight razors so I'm hoping I have enough control to not lacerate myself too badly! :001_unsur

Don't get too cocky - I used my AC after several months of straight shaving and after reading all the posts about how light a touch you need to use and still did a number on myself.

The Feather straights are quite heavy and unforgiving - a bad combination when you pair it with their ultra-sharp blades.

Unlike all but the heaviest of grinds, a traditional straight gives you much more feedback than the Feather (or at least the AC), so the first indication that something is wrong is the flowing of blood. You can also give yourself some pretty severe razor burn with a Feather.

The Dovo Shavette gets mixed reviews, but I definitely think its more forgiving than the Feather razors.

That being said, I agree with Joel that the AC is a great shaving tool - once you get the hang of it. I don't use mine that much, but still like to have it in the rotation.

Well fingers crossed I'll be able to get the hang of it. I went through several weeks of looking worse than joel's photos when I first started with traditional straights, so hopefully I've spilled enough blood!

Hi Wes,

Tips I learned to tame the Feather AC:

1. "Don't fear the Feather" as someone wrote. Once I got over my initial fear, my shaves became easy (my worse slice on my face came with a Slant DE).

2. Shaving with a Feather AC is a unique skill set. Many of the techniques of DE or traditional straights don't transfer well to the AC. "Un-learn" the 30 degree angle of the DE and switch to a flatter angle. This allows the blade to slice right through my hair with less of a scraping action than 30 degrees provides, which irritates my skin less. I have not tried a traditional straight, but I don't see it as a disadvantage since it was one less thing to "un-learn". I am getting my best shaves ever with the AC, so right now I don't see a need to go to the traditional straight and its associated RAD. I use the low angle, light touch, long continuous strokes as seen in this video.

3. I am a "corker'. I cork the blade before the first use to get a much better shave starting with the first shave. Feather blades mellow with each use, so I am not surprised that you did not get the greatest results on the first shave. There is a long thread on this forum, with much controversy, about corking. Some consider corking wet shaving heresy. My anecdotal testimony is that my first few shaves with a new blade looked like Joel's pictures, but those incidents completely disappeared once I started corking. Decide for yourself if it helps or not.

I also shave my head with the Feather AC, which I find easier to shave than my face. A steady hand and a soft touch is all I need. It is also important not to rush when using this tool, so I shave at night.

Well fingers crossed I'll be able to get the hang of it. I went through several weeks of looking worse than joel's photos when I first started with traditional straights, so hopefully I've spilled enough blood!

Ok thats fills me with dread...

Which Feather Dx did you go for ? Was it through ClassicShaving or the Japan shopping service on here ?

Ta

Matt

Oh, it was the $199 stainless one with the plastic handle from Classicshaving, the DX I think. And one pack of each of the types of blades, except the ones with guards.

Oh god, let me guess, I'd have saved loads buying it somewhere else? :frown: :rolleyes:

You'd have saved 50% if you bought the AC instead of the DX.

Not sure if there's much difference in the way they shave - one may be ligher than the other, but I only have the AC.

Anyone care to comment on the difference between the AC (plated brass) vs DX (solid stainless steel) - and whether the DX is worht the extra $100?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Not sure if there's much difference in the way they shave - one may be ligher than the other, but I only have the AC.

Anyone care to comment on the difference between the AC (plated brass) vs DX (solid stainless steel) - and whether the DX is worht the extra $100?

Actually, they are all 'AC' (Artist's Club), the difference is between the DX (costly steel) and RG (cheap brass). No biggie.

I have the RG only. I find it hard to see how the shaving performance would be markedly different, since it's just a holder for the blade in exactly the same shape. Maybe different weight affects things?? Presumably the DX would last longer with wear and tear.

Actually, they are all 'AC' (Artist's Club), the difference is between the DX (costly steel) and RG (cheap brass). No biggie.

I have the RG only. I find it hard to see how the shaving performance would be markedly different, since it's just a holder for the blade in exactly the same shape. Maybe different weight affects things?? Presumably the DX would last longer with wear and tear.

The weight could be a big factor - the RG is quite heavy (I sais AC instead of RG) and I wondered if the SS variant was lighter, which could result in a razor with better feedback.

As for durability - I have a hard time seeing how anyone could wear out an RG with a lifetime of normal use - they're veyr solid razors.

Oh, it was the $199 stainless one with the plastic handle from Classicshaving, the DX I think. And one pack of each of the types of blades, except the ones with guards.

Oh god, let me guess, I'd have saved loads buying it somewhere else? :frown: :rolleyes:

No tbh its either classicshaving or some site in Japan.. and the price is about the same. I just wondered in case you had found another supplier :)

The only reference I have seen that states there may be a quality difference between the DX & RG was from one of Joel's posts in the corking thread.

I have one of the Feather Professionals before they did the Artist and it took a couple of shaves, one nice cut on my cheek, some healing time, then back on the saddle. I did end up trying the first pass with Nanka cream by feather. That helped. After Pass1, I lather with soap and off I go.

Boy, am I glad I didn't take up Michael's offer to send me his Feather!

I love a challenge and don't like to give up but this is just too brutal for me

Cheers
Ivo

Wow! I've had pleasty of nicks like that in the past. I've used feathers, and frankly they're just too damned sharp. Why do we need blades that sharp? I took me a while to realise that blade sharpness is just one aspect of getting a great shave. I'll take top quality preshave prep and technique and an average blade before I mess with feathers.

Goes to show you, very sharp does not mean very good. This is a classic newbie misconception. I too was under the impression that the sharpest blades are the best when I first started wetshaving. My opinion has changed since this time, for both DE's and straights. It may be that my technique is lacking, but frankly my goal is not to become perfect, it's to get a good, comfortable shave.

Top Bottom