What's new

Feather Nightmare

Sure it will be cool... I was going to buy one.. but ended up with a "real" straight.. but I'll be keeping an eye on what u think.

My razor has arrived so will have a go over the weekend.....

That's what I'm after. :smile:

I still consider Feather AC's and Shavettes 'real' straight razors, just more modern incantations compared to 'traditional' straight razors.

I agree with you.

There is a current thread about "Shaving Myths". IMHO, one myth is. "you can only get a "real" shave from a "real" straight. I would add to that thread that you can get a "real" shave from a DE, disposable blade straight, as well as a traditional straight.

It's all about "the shave" for me. I do not have the time or interest at the present moment to maintain a shaving implement, which is what I would have to do with a traditional straight. At some point I may decide I want to explore the traditional straight realm, but for now both the DE and disposable blade straights address the convenience factor that our time strapped world demands.

Yeah I know we are all supposed "to slow down and smell the coffee", but if I slow down, I would rather do so to relish the actual shave rather than slow down and sharpen the edge of a blade.

No disrespect is meant to those who choose the traditional route, but if you lump the multi-blade razors such as the Fusion in with the DE and disposable blade straights, some common need is being addressed and I think that need is called "convenience". If I took a wild guess I would say this group that seeks some level of convenience represents close to 99% of the shaving market.

The Fusion is unique in that it addresses the market that seeks both convenience and low skill requirements (which is the largest portion of the shaving market), all at the price of increased costs. Gillette profits handsomely because they focus on this market. The traditional straight is, again IMHO, at the highest rung for skill in both the actual shave and maintaining the blade edge, but low on the convenience factor. The DE and disposable straight are right for the market that sits between these two extremes. Thankfully we live in a world where anyone's shaving needs can be met.

When friends ask me about my choice of a disposable straight over a traditional, I always say:

If you want a great shave, get a Feather AC

If you want a great shave and a hobby, get a traditional straight

Well, I had my first Feather AC shave today. Actually it went pretty well, my face was a bit tender after the beating it took from a Dovo Shavette/Feather blade yesterday and I was expecting to be looking worse than Joel.

However I lathered up with Proraso and had a go, with Feather Super Pro blades (the thinker ones). I did two passes, basically my normal passes but using almost no pressure at all. Like everyone has said before, the blades are just insanely sharp, they cut with no effort whatsoever. Even being a well practiced straight razor shaver, I was surprised at just how little margin for error there was. Too much pressure = weeper, too little pressure = rough spot. However I managed to get the feel right, the bulk of the razor makes it very stable and controllable. I got a BBS shave in two passes, I didn't risk any touching up as I didn't think my skin would stand it.

In all I'm very impressed to get such good results on day 1. I had a little razor burn but nothing much, and just a couple of small weepers which stopped after the cold water splash.

It shaves great, but my traditional straights shave more comfortably and are definately more forgiving. One other thing I've noticed, I was BBS earlier but I can feel the stubble growing back already and it feels more prickly than when it grows back after a traditional straight razor shave.

I'm definately going to persevere and get more practice with the Feather AC, it's earned a place in my rotation based on performance and convenience. I think it'll be perfect for travelling too.

:smile:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Steelforge, good to hear things went well. :biggrin:

I use my Feather AC for travelling (as well as at home) and it travels very well. I like not having to bring a strop, and there is no worry about needing a hone should a nick develop. Just bring a blade dispenser and all is well.

It shaves great, but my traditional straights shave more comfortably and are definately more forgiving.

:smile:

I can go along with the more forgiving, certainly, but wait a bit before you rule on the more comfortable part. How long did it take you to get the traditional straight shaving you comfortably? You probably didn't expect the best out of the tool on try 1. The AC is just a new tool, so give it a bit of a chance for you to get the shave perfect

Scott
600 or so AC shaves and counting

Great to hear that you got admirable results on your maiden voyage.

Ian and Scott have given you good advice. Give the AC the same dedication you gave the traditional straights and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh for sure, my traditional straights weren't exactly forgiving when I was learning to use them. I'm sure with practice the Feather will be giving me great shaves. I just hope I'm able to learn how to use both the Feather and traditional straights in the same rotation, rather than just one or the other.

Oh for sure, my traditional straights weren't exactly forgiving when I was learning to use them. I'm sure with practice the Feather will be giving me great shaves. I just hope I'm able to learn how to use both the Feather and traditional straights in the same rotation, rather than just one or the other.

I think that will work for you, judging by how easily I can go from old blade to new blade on an AC as if it were second nature.

Probably, I had my second shave yesterday and it was almost perfect. Virtually BBS all over (2 passes) and just 1 tiny weeper on my chin, and a tiny patch of burn on my jawbone.

3rd shave coming up shortly. :biggrin:

Probably, I had my second shave yesterday and it was almost perfect. Virtually BBS all over (2 passes) and just 1 tiny weeper on my chin, and a tiny patch of burn on my jawbone.

3rd shave coming up shortly. :biggrin:

A few more great shaves and you may get a case of FAD (Feather Acquisition Disorder).

Fortunately, there would only be one other model for you to try and you don't need to go on Ebay to get it. :biggrin:

Keep us posted and hopefully you will join the handful of us on this forum that think the AC is a great shaving tool.

3rd shave went fine, even better than the first two. I have no fears about the Feather at all now, and am most impressed with it. I'm not abandoning my traditional straights but the Feather AC has earned a place in my rotation (of 4 razors), and will be perfect for travelling etc. :smile:

3rd shave went fine, even better than the first two. I have no fears about the Feather at all now, and am most impressed with it. I'm not abandoning my traditional straights but the Feather AC has earned a place in my rotation (of 4 razors), and will be perfect for travelling etc. :smile:

Wait till you nick it on a tap, laugh while changing blades, and continue shaving.

BTW, many AC users eventually settle on a 2-pass shave.

Thanks for the photos there Joel, I just pulled the plug over at the mall on a Feather ACD-N Japnese Style razor. Those pics look a lot like my first time out with a Vision and Feather blade.

Thanks for the photos there Joel, I just pulled the plug over at the mall on a Feather ACD-N Japnese Style razor. Those pics look a lot like my first time out with a Vision and Feather blade.

It took me a while to correctly understand "at the mall".

I hope you enjoy Cigar Dan's Feather.

Hi Steelforge,

You are evidently someone who is giving the AC a fair shot and I see that you are very active over at SRP discussing traditional straights.

Can you comment on the difference of what your face feels while shaving with the AC vs. a traditional straight. I have never shaved with a traditional and I read many traditional users talk of a "pulling" sensation. I know that I do not experience any pulling sensation with the AC, but I wanted to know if there is a noticeable difference between the feel of the two.

How does the weight & balance of the AC compare to the weight & balance of a traditional.

Do you hold the AC at the same angle that you hold a traditional?

Am I correct in assuming the AC requires less pressure than a traditional?

TIA

Hi Steelforge,

You are evidently someone who is giving the AC a fair shot and I see that you are very active over at SRP discussing traditional straights.

Can you comment on the difference of what your face feels while shaving with the AC vs. a traditional straight. I have never shaved with a traditional and I read many traditional users talk of a "pulling" sensation. I know that I do not experience any pulling sensation with the AC, but I wanted to know if there is a noticeable difference between the feel of the two.

Hi there. I'll try and answer your questions but it's only from limited experience, there are other folks with far more experience than myself.

How does the weight & balance of the AC compare to the weight & balance of a traditional.

Basically it's the same, with a DX Artist Club (Stainless Steel) the weighting and balance are basically the same as a 6/8 straight razor with similar compound handle (wood, horn, plastic etc.). When I first picked mine up, it felt just the same as traditional straights.

Do you hold the AC at the same angle that you hold a traditional?

No, I would say you use a much flatter / shallower angle with a Feather than with a traditional straight.

Am I correct in assuming the AC requires less pressure than a traditional?

Definitely, much less! It's more like using a DE razor in this respect, you barely need to touch the blade to your skin, it's so sharp it cuts with no effort. A traditional straight is less sharp, and has a stiffer blade, so it goes though stubble less easily. On the plus side, a traditional straight keeps its edge much longer, and is much more forgiving of imperfect technique. You can use a fair amount more pressure than you can with a Feather, and you're still unlikely to cut yourself or get razorburn.

At the moment, I'd still say I prefer to use my traditional straights. The Feather gives a great shave, but is quite different to a traditional razor (still good though). :smile:

Top Bottom