What's new

Feather-like blades

Feel free to relocate this post if I've put it in the wrong place, I'm still slightly noobish.

I tried out a sampler pack that had some Crystals and Feathers in it. Feathers are awesome, but cut me up around the nape of the neck (that may be unavoidable, but I'd like to change blades to at least see). Anyway, the Crystals (I believe they were Crystals, they're made in Israel correct?) cut the everloving hell out of my face. I did like the fact that I felt like there was a little more resistance and I do think there was something different about the blade, but I'm not 100% sure what it was.

It just had a crisper feeling, like I could tell when the angle was right. Feathers are so smooth sometimes I get the angle wrong and don't even notice that I'm just dragging the head of the razor along my face.

Do you have any recommendations for a blade that might be in between Crystals and Feathers?

For me Astras (both Platinum and Keramik) are excellent middle-of-the-road blades: sharp enough, but also smooth enough.

For me Astras (both Platinum and Keramik) are excellent middle-of-the-road blades: sharp enough, but also smooth enough.

My problem with the feathers isn't that they're not sharp, it's that they're too smooth, if that makes any sense (it's entirely possible that this is all in my head).

Try some Astras for a while, they're almost as sharp and at least as smooth. I don't think your issue is likely a blade being 'too smooth'. Astras are a 'feather-like' blade though, so that's your best bet. Don't give up on the Feathers either.
edit/ If too much smoothness really is your problem, try 'Sharp' brand, it's the only non-excessively sharp&smooth blade that still somehow shaves me well (there's some tactile feedback)

Last edited:
I have to agree on the Astras (Platinum are the only ones I have tried). I'm loving Astra's and Feather's equally right now.

Astra or Gillette 7 o'clock yellows. I feel the same about Feathers - granted they are sharp, but they feel like I'm dragging a bastard file across my face.:mad:

I read a bit back about Tesco DE blades form what I remember they were well thought of. I'll happily hook anyone up who requires them? :smile:

Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge(yellows) or Super Iridiums. I believe the Astra Superior Platinums are a level below these, which makes them 2 levels below the Feathers.(they are still great blades for the money).

marty

i keep hearing more and more about astra's i been workin on my viking supply for a lil bit now...but this thread has me inspired, i may load up an astra tonight!!! still waiting on the feathers as i get a lil nick here and there from my blades now...still striving for complete consistency...

Top Bottom