What's new

FATBOY shavers

What setting do you start out with when y'all shave with a Fatboy? I start out with seven, then for the 2cnd pass switch down to a four. But after( and throughout the day) it feels like my neck has been through a grinder. I'm using Feather Blades. And shave daily.

Attachments

• PXL_20240112_110430099.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240112_110430099.MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
A lot of people write here about their sensitive necks. Mine is too. I don't go for BBS on my neck and I don't get irritation. you could tone it down a little. I also never had luck with Feather blades. I found them rough. You could try a milder and smoother blade. There is a lot of info here on that subject. For me Gillette Nacets, Silver Blues, and Platinums fill the bill but it is a very YMMV thing. You could get a sample pack of several types from any vendor.

A lot of people write here about their sensitive necks. Mine is too. I don't go for BBS on my neck and I don't get irritation. you could tone it down a little. I also never had luck with Feather blades. I found them rough. You could try a milder and smoother blade. There is a lot of info here on that subject. For me Gillette Nacets, Silver Blues, and Platinums fill the bill but it is a very YMMV thing. You could get a sample pack of several types from any vendor.
I toned it down on the adjustment and went slower on the neck. It seemed to improve. I'll be on the look out for some Nacet.

The setting that I use depends entirely on my chosen strategy for that morning’s shave. If I need to shave quickly before I head off to work, I will use setting 9 with a single WTG pass. Otherwise I shall either employ either setting 5 or 7 on a WTG & XTG strategy.

The setting that I use depends entirely on my chosen strategy for that morning’s shave. If I need to shave quickly before I head off to work, I will use setting 9 with a single WTG pass. Otherwise I shall either employ either setting 5 or 7 on a WTG & XTG strategy.
What blades do you use?

I do a 1st pass 3 and 2nd pass 5. If I'm chasing a BBS I'll come back with a 3rd pass at 2.
- 99% of the time I'll use a Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep if I'm going for an extra close, 3 pass shave.
I used Personna blue regularly until the temperature dropped below freezing. Then I switched to feather. It felt like the Personna wasn't cutting like it used too after the temperature changed!

What setting do you start out with when y'all shave with a Fatboy? I start out with seven, then for the 2cnd pass switch down to a four. But after( and throughout the day) it feels like my neck has been through a grinder. I'm using Feather Blades. And shave daily.
I tried an 8 WTG, 6 XTG and 4 ATG on a 3 day growth.

For my neck on the XTG pass I just go straight across on jawline and under and across neck. I feel the neck run a bit but that is to be expected and its nothing terrible. I swallow, making the adams apple disappear. The neck skin seems to acclimatise up if you use this. I have been using this neck direction for several months now with various razors. I can report no irritation.

I get a DFS neck result with this.

Best shave I've ever had with my 195. Used a Platinum on it's 2nd run.

Feathers are to be used sparingly and only in specific razors IMO. They can do more harm than good in certain situations. A 7 and 4 setting with a Feather for daily shaving in a 195 does not sound like a good combo. Check out the Nacet, Permasharp or Plat for this kind of work.

All have very good sharpness, but notable smoothness. Plat if your skin feels like some TLC. The Plat is less sharp but trades off in high initial smoothness.

Last edited:
I tried an 8 WTG, 6 XTG and 4 ATG on a 3 day growth.

For my neck on the XTG pass I just go straight across on jawline and under and across neck. I feel the neck run a bit but that is to be expected and its nothing terrible. I swallow, making the adams apple disappear. The neck skin seems to acclimatise up if you use this. I have been using this neck direction for several months now with various razors. I can report no irritation.

I get a DFS neck result with this.

Best shave I've ever had with my 195. Used a Platinum on it's 2nd run.

Feathers are to be used sparingly and only in specific razors IMO. They can do more harm than good in certain situations. A 7 and 4 setting with a Feather for daily shaving in a 195 does not sound like a good combo. Check out the Nacet, Permasharp or Plat for this kind of work.

All have very good sharpness, but notable smoothness. Plat if your skin feels like some TLC. The Plat is less sharp but trades off in high initial smoothness.
What is this Platinum Blade?

I don't shave daily, especially for this reason. If I'm getting "Torquemada" level feedback from my alum and aftershave right after the shave, I can very well get some sting even several hours later if I slap on some additional AS. Maybe even still the next morning.

This suggests to me that my skin has not recovered from my previous shave, so I go every other day. My shaves are close enough that I'm not going to look like Grizzly Adams on my off day.

Top Bottom