What's new

Feather blades, love or hate?

FEATHER blades are among my four favorites. To me they are the best of all blades on several day‘s growth. I have found them to be absolutely consistent blade to blade, and I like the blade bank feature of the packaging. (There is a Shave Nation YouTube video showing how to make a 50 blade bank from a FEATHER 10-pack: “Make a One Year Razor Blade Case - It’s Easy”)

I have really hard time to love them, but i also can't hate them.
But almost whatever I do I always get either one or more weepers, or irritation. Even with the lightest touch.
But they are sharp, no question about that.

I don't hate them, I don't love them, but I do like them. However, my Rapira Platinum Lux blades are my best all-round DEs and deliver better all-round shaves because I can repeat shaving an area; but with a Feather, I do so at my own risk for post-shave irritation.

This evening: I found a tuck of 10 while arranging my shave gear catch-all box. I don't usually shave daily, but after a shave 24 hours ago I loaded my second 34C with a Feather. Man, what a smooth and close shave. Except for my neck and chin, I never felt the stubble being sheared. My neck has stubble growing in all directions; and my chin stubble is more like baling wire. No blade or razor gets through it. I shave it as best I can and clean it up with an electric to get it as close as the rest of my shave. Anyway, the Feather did an incredible job. I'll have to try it on two-day stubble. Shaving daily is not good for me. 48 to 72 hours between shaves is 'bout right for this guy.

I use a Feather in my Lupo DE aluminum. It seems to work perfect for me with that razor. But for all my other razors it's Bic!
I haven't tried a Feather in my Wet shaving club "Winning razor" though. I see others have good results with them on the Henson so I'm gonna try it out tonight.

All Feather blades in different razors will give me weepers after the 3rd or 4th shave and I have to toss them. I do shave my head, too. I think the edge develops small imperfections and those cause the harm. Not my favorite blade but I will use it any day before "mild"-mediocre blades. So maybe I am with the original poster: love/hate.....

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
All Feather blades in different razors will give me weepers after the 3rd or 4th shave and I have to toss them. I do shave my head, too. I think the edge develops small imperfections and those cause the harm. Not my favorite blade but I will use it any day before "mild"-mediocre blades. So maybe I am with the original poster: love/hate.....
Brilliant theory about the weepers after a few shaves. I, too, seem to get very small weepers after the first couple of amazing shaves.

Just went back to them after 2+ years. In my Fine Marvel they're very good. Similar to the Personna lab from Sally's. I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind test. I bought a pack of 10 from Duran's pharmacy for $7. They also sell tinfoil hats for cats and dogs too. No kidding. Regarding the Feather: hot towel, good lather, no weepers not even a red dot.

In my over 24+ years of wet shaving, I've learned that Feather blades lets u know if your lather is too dry. For many years, I've used Feather blades from time to time and could only manage 3 shaves from them before they became very uncomfortable. Many people have also said the same thing, 2-3 shaves and the blade needs to be tossed out.

Many of us unknowingly make the mistake of having our lather too dry although it may seem perfect to us. But with Feather blades, you'll need to ensure your lather is very well hydrated. These blade will TELL u if its not. Experiment a little.

Nowadays with a sufficiently hydrated lather I can use Feather blades for a minimum of 7 shaves and I could keep going. I only toss them out for the sake of rotating with other blades that I like. They've now become my go-to blade along with the Nacet.

Feather blades are really excellent quality blades and well worth the price. But they don't do well with lather that's too dry IMO. Once the coating comes off, they can feel aggressive and uncomfortable. But with a well hydrated lather, they work beautifully.

It's the same concept with other blades as well I'm sure, but due to the sharpness of Feather, you'll feel it more so than other blades. From my own experience a well hydrated lather helps in terms of comfort as well as longevity, no matter what blade I use.

Last edited:
Brilliant theory about the weepers after a few shaves. I, too, seem to get very small weepers after the first couple of amazing shaves.
Try adding more water to your lather. Hydrate it more than usual. Feather blades lets u know of your lather is not hydrated enough.

Same for me.3 shaves and I have to throw it away. But I've since added more water to my lather and now I usually just stop at 7 shaves with each blade for the sake of rotating with other blades. Feather blades love a well hydrated lather. Try it mate.
Feathers are one of my favorite blades if not the best. Down side, (2) shaves and time for another.

I have really hard time to love them, but i also can't hate them.
But almost whatever I do I always get either one or more weepers, or irritation. Even with the lightest touch.
But they are sharp, no question about that.
I used to have the same experience. But I've since added more water to my lather. IMO, Feather blades work best with well hydrated lather. From only being able to use the blade for 2 shaves, I can now have a minimum of 7 very close and comfortable shaves with a Feather.

I'm new to DE shaving and my first shave was recently with the Feather in a Popular and it was decent but I found the Astra SP to give me a far better feeling shave. I will revisit the Feather again in the future but think I prefer a smoother razor to a sharper one.

I'm new to DE shaving and my first shave was recently with the Feather in a Popular and it was decent but I found the Astra SP to give me a far better feeling shave. I will revisit the Feather again in the future but think I prefer a smoother razor to a sharper one.
I would suggest that you try a Gillette Nacet, or Gillette Silver Blue. Both are nearly as sharp as a Feather, but much smoother IMO.

I have a few more blades I bought in 5 packs to try which takes a long time since you have to wait a day or two between each shave. I have some GSB I bought from ebay and have only tried one so far and it was a disappointment. I kind of wonder if it was a fake, which is doubtful since it was a seller with good feedback. It wasn't a horrible shave but after using it for a couple shaves I switched back to a new Astra and thought it seemed much sharper and smoother instantly.

The ones I have are in the newer box with the slanted i in Gillette, and the wrappers are plain white. And strangely the box is labeled as 2018. I seen another post awhile back on here searching for info and seen another member post about the same ones I got. I'd love to try some of the older GSB's, and maybe newer ones from another source.

I’ve tried to love them but it just doesn’t work out… yet I don’t hate them either. I can get a good shave or two from a Feather, but they irritate my skin if I use them too often.

So I consider them to be a good once-in-a-while blade. It would be crazy of me to purchase a 50 or 100 pack.

I traded the few I had in my stockpile for some Rubies and I was very happy with that trade.

I used to have the same experience. But I've since added more water to my lather. IMO, Feather blades work best with well hydrated lather. From only being able to use the blade for 2 shaves, I can now have a minimum of 7 very close and comfortable shaves with a Feather.
Thanks, I'll try and think about that next time.
I actually used a Feather yesterday, with a very mild Blue Tip, strange feeling because it felt like there where no cutting at all, but it was really good results. No bleeding or cuts.

Top Bottom