What's new

Feather asd2

Fabulous looking razor. Well crafted. I cannot get a good shave out of it for love nor money. But for its looks on my shelves, I would have sold it years ago. YMMV, as usual.

Blade suggestions are of little value due to personal characteristics and preferences.

But I'll put my 2 cents and suggest to try this blade with a BIC blade.
Much improved smoothness comparing to Feather ones while keeping quite sharp and more durable.

At least to my beard and skin a great combo.

I have owned mine for just about a year now as it's my birthday soon. As I live it I decided to get the stand to match. $70 shipping included.
It shipped today. Can't wait to post pics.
Happy early birthday!
Where did you find the matching stand? I wound up ordering a Maggard Razor stand for mine.

I really enjoy mine. It's one of my small collection of razors that consistently gives me a nice comfortable shave with a minimum of drama, nicks, cuts etc. It pairs the best with Feather blades but I find Polsilvers and Wizamets work very well also.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Yeah I just called. At first they said 3 month wait for custom order then they found some and sold me one. They have stock. Idk how much. The price seems fair? Even though high for a razor stand.
You are very lucky.
Feather's previous reply to someone else's email was "Our razor stands are measured and manufactured in pairs with the handle and are not sold separately".

Maybe your phone call touched them. Or too many people expressed "want to buy a stand", so the company fine-tuned the strategy.

You are very lucky.
Feather's previous reply to someone else's email was "Our razor stands are measured and manufactured in pairs with the handle and are not sold separately".

Maybe your phone call touched them. Or too many people expressed "want to buy a stand", so the company fine-tuned the strategy.
I was told the stands are made to order. So that makes sense. The kits would be a production order so yeah they would just make them together I guess.
The dimensions wouldn't change so it would still be interchangeable.
I guess it up to the distributor to decide to carry stock or not. They decided to start carrying them.
They must have made a bulk buy to lower the price too or something cause I read online the price used to be way higher than $70 shipped. I have also heard the opposite. Cause another lady I know online who uses razors said she ordered her just like I did and she got hers for $50 a couple years ago, but shipping wasn't included. My $70 price included shipping.
Also, no the stand isn't sold on the website, there is actually just one lady in charge of that part who knows about it who works at the warehouse in California.
She was on vacation when the first person took my custom order. When she came back from vacation and called me and said she has stock ot won't be 3 months.
She is so very nice to talk to.

I was told the stands are made to order. So that makes sense. The kits would be a production order so yeah they would just make them together I guess.
The dimensions wouldn't change so it would still be interchangeable.
I guess it up to the distributor to decide to carry stock or not. They decided to start carrying them.
They must have made a bulk buy to lower the price too or something cause I read online the price used to be way higher than $70 shipped. I have also heard the opposite. Cause another lady I know online who uses razors said she ordered her just like I did and she got hers for $50 a couple years ago, but shipping wasn't included. My $70 price included shipping.
Also, no the stand isn't sold on the website, there is actually just one lady in charge of that part who knows about it who works at the warehouse in California.
She was on vacation when the first person took my custom order. When she came back from vacation and called me and said she has stock ot won't be 3 months.
She is so very nice to talk to.
I was also thinking that there are at least two different stands as well. There is the all metal one and the metal one with the black wood (which would be more expensive). I will be curious to see which one you get.

Got my stand. I love it. Fits perfectly

Attachments

• 20220801_193546.jpg
    20220801_193546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
It's a great razor, and I find it works best with a feather blade. This comment is a bit of a stretch though:

"and also led to the revival of DE wet shaving in the 21st century."

Arguably it's been forums like this, TSD, TSN, and others that are responsible for that.

This razor does not get high praise it deserves, maybe been around too long and people are overwhelmed by a multitude of razors now.
I've been using it for the past 2 months everyday. It's fantastically well made, blade fiits perfectly with no blade overhang from the sides. The steel is high quality, no stains from my hard water, not efen a sigle watetnark when changing blades and it shaves perfectly with ease. Not aggressive, but not mild and not a problem with angles. Experienced shaves should, anyway, find the correct or best angle easily.
Finally, GSB blade works just as good as a feather, no problem I'd say with using your favourite blade.

Y
It's my favorite razor but I regularly use the seven vintage Gillettes I have as well. Definitely my desert island razor with matching Feather blades.

I’m rediscovering mild razors and, unlike 3-4 years ago, I get amazing shaves from Techs and Aristocrats. I regret selling my AS-D2.
Having three Techs (two ball end and one WWII) and a 48-50 Aristocrat as well as the AS-D2, I wouldn't sell any of them. I *think* I probably get the best shave with the AS-D2 but I enjoy all my vintage Gillettes (also have two Super Speeds and a 195). One razor I generally don't enjoy even though it's, essentially, a Tech, is my Jagger DE89. Something about it bugs me.

Top Bottom