What's new

Feather asd2

This razor does not get high praise it deserves, maybe been around too long and people are overwhelmed by a multitude of razors now.
I've been using it for the past 2 months everyday. It's fantastically well made, blade fiits perfectly with no blade overhang from the sides. The steel is high quality, no stains from my hard water, not efen a sigle watetnark when changing blades and it shaves perfectly with ease. Not aggressive, but not mild and not a problem with angles. Experienced shaves should, anyway, find the correct or best angle easily.
Finally, GSB blade works just as good as a feather, no problem I'd say with using your favourite blade.

Y

This razor does not get high praise it deserves, maybe been around too long and people are overwhelmed by a multitude of razors now.
I've been using it for the past 2 months everyday. It's fantastically well made, blade fiits perfectly with no blade overhang from the sides. The steel is high quality, no stains from my hard water, not efen a sigle watetnark when changing blades and it shaves perfectly with ease. Not aggressive, but not mild and not a problem with angles. Experienced shaves should, anyway, find the correct or best angle easily.
Finally, GSB blade works just as good as a feather, no problem I'd say with using your favourite blade.

Y

I am enamoured with the AS-D2, so much so that I also purchased the WS-D2. it is a superbly designed and engineered razor. And if my understanding is correct, effectively hand crafted, in that the top cap is hand finished and fitted to the base plate and of course with the WS-D2, the handle is also hand finished. It is the only stainless steel razor that I know that is "hard" chrome plated as opposed to the "decorative" chrome used by Muhle, Merkur etc on their zinc/alloy razors. Giving it superb glide and durability. Just try and keep your polished stainless steel razor free of scratches. That said, the razor was a slow burner for me, it took me a long time to really learn the razor and get the best out of it, but that is probably because I am not the fastest learner. Now I just admire what Feather have achieved. I can do my first pass ATG on two or three days growth with total comfort, when using a Feather blade; no other razors performs like this for me. Whilst I also find the razor works well with my other favourite blades, even mellow ones like ASCO Orange, I find the AS-D2 is peerless when paired with a Feather, simply on another level.

+2. On my face shallow angle works best.
1658065341686.jpeg

I would actually argue that the AS-D2 gets the praise it deserves. It is a very highly regarded and praised razor on this forum and everywhere you turn. It is one of the best mild shavers on the market.

I would actually argue that the AS-D2 gets the praise it deserves. It is a very highly regarded and praised razor on this forum and everywhere you turn. It is one of the best mild shavers on the market.

Agree. There's no wet shaving forum where you don't see the AS-D2 mentioned as the standard of excellence for a smooth, mild shave.

Excellent razor and one that I am glad to have in my rotation. For newbies, there is some learning curve. I had to set it aside for several months and let my technique catch up. Once that occurred it was smooth sailing from that point forward.

AS-D2 is my daily shavers paired with Merkur blades. As the Merkur blades made in Germany are no longer available, I have tried the Feather blades but I am unable to shave with them without getting blood spots. I'm going to have to start the process all over again to find myself a blade as soft as the Merkur. So far the only one that comes close is the Wilkinson blade.

AS-D2 is my daily shavers paired with Merkur blades. As the Merkur blades made in Germany are no longer available, I have tried the Feather blades but I am unable to shave with them without getting blood spots. I'm going to have to start the process all over again to find myself a blade as soft as the Merkur. So far the only one that comes close is the Wilkinson blade.
The blade that I generally use to "tone it down" is the Astra SP (or sometimes a Voskhod) though I cannot recall ever using it in my AS-D2. For me, it is always a Feather blade on the theory that the razor had to have been designed for use with this blade or vice versa. Now you have piqued my curiosity.

Seems still a lot like this razor. It did seem that interest was now with newer high end offerings, especially. In USA.

I agree. This is the perfect mild razor. I would disagree though that it isn't for newbies. In fact this is the perfect newbie razor!
This was what I got as a newb and this razor is so amazing I can't justify buying a si gle other razor. My skin feels great and all irritation is gone even though I shave every single day.
For leg shaving and sensitive skin I would need proof this isn't the best razor ever made.

I get consistently excellent shaves with my AS-D2 using a Wizamet blade. I also get great shaves with a feather blade. I have two more razors coming in the near future. I wonder if either or both will tie or beat the Feather?
Jack

When I used an EJ DE-89, I got a couple of nicks every week. Then I tried -- very briefly -- a Razor Rock GC-84 and got nicked every damn day. With the Feather I get a nick once or twice a year, and a better shave than I got with either of the other two.

If it cost $450, it would attract a lot more attention. If it cost $40, it would be a lot more popular.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The AS-D2 has gained an outstanding reputation.
PILS and AS-D2 were born between 2009 and 2010, and are the first batch of all stainless steel shavers exquisitely produced using modern processing technology (CNC / MIM...).

It used to be the representative that made many people exclaim "a razor can be so expensive".
At the same time, it inspired more brands to join the production of high-end razors, and also led to the revival of DE wet shaving in the 21st century.

There are various types of beards and skins, a razor can't please everyone, even WOLFMAN or SAILOR or MURAMASA have some people who don't like it.
It is true that the mildness of AS-D2 makes many people have to give it up, but people still praise its appearance and refinement; because of this, as long as someone needs a mild razor, AS-D2 is often the first to be mentioned.

If we were to say who was the king of the mild razor over the years, it would have to be the AS-D2.
There are indeed many more innovative mild razors on the market, but as long as the AS-D2 is still in production, they will only be followers of the AS-D2.

294243774_910179173710254_1991075968687148556_n.jpg

Last edited:
Something I must say is the handle gas a superb grip,, even with wet hands, the grip is soiled and sure.

Top Bottom